2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Protector

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a look at Bray. They make a few windshield specific films with varying number of layers. The life of each depends on frequency of using the wipers - know going into it the film is a wear and tear item and the layers have to be peeled away every year. Ive had Bray installed on a few vehicles and am pleased with the performance. Very slight distortion of the windshields clarity but did the job.

http://www.braygroup.com/

Last edited by UrbanX; 12-30-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Living up in the mountains in snow/ski country I have a different view from others. It comes about from the conditions up here and what it does to windshields in general. I look at them in the same vein as tires, replace it as needed. In AZ we can get complete glass coverage for $10 a year through USAA. Now the snowplows or the semis on the I-40 like to give me the opportunity to get a new windshield almost every other year like clockwork. Usually it is a largish rock or bolt like thing that puts a nice crack or star on it. The Range Rover has had three heated windshields replaced at a cost of nothing to me. So they always appear fresh. On my 97 Defender, they replaced my windshield, again for free, due to sand erosion. Which made viewing when heading into the sun challenging. I would personally shy away from a protector, as the extreme temp changes and erosion from the cinder they put on the roads would make it less and less view-worthy. Anything plastic erodes quickly, I can attest to that from the windscreens on my aircraft. However, at least I can polish them with a purpose specified kit (about $40) and they still appear new. Plastic scratches and gets swirl marks quickly from what would appear to be nothing at all. When you clean plastic you really need to flush the surface to release any hardish items that will cause scratches when you clean it. Windshield wipers would wreak havoc on it if there was any silicate dust. I think even bug carapaces are harder than plexiglass, and it is fairly hard, has to be.

On a funny note, I went down to Phoenix to get a replacement windshield at the dealer, since Safelight had buggered up my heated one on the previous Range Rover, only half worked and they refused to warranty it. So the dealer put the new one in and I happily got on the freeway entrance to go back up the mountain, when literally ¼ mile from the dealer a rock out of nowhere hit the new windshield. So back to the dealer for another, before the sealant had even set.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
curb-optional (10-27-2023), GrouseK9 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 07:12 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield film

Speaking of windshields. Picked up my 22 defender yesterday.. has some type of film/ tint/ on it. Looks good but for some reason doesn’t cover full window. Cut out around the rear view mirror a bit too big.

is this standard from factory? Did dealer do this; and is the notches normal?

Old 01-01-2022, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

That’s not a film or tint. It’s either the internal heat element or the internal heat attenuating material depending on what you got. The cut out area is so you can mount a toll transponder there. The dealer didn’t install anything.

I tried shatterx and got a chip a short time later. Don’t think it made any difference. Films like clearplex are also a waste of money since they wear out in s year or two and will cost more money.

The following users liked this post:
Ben517 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 01:08 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a '22 and it has the same thing except I have a factory dash camera mounted there.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Yes this is on my 22 SE. Not a heated wind shield. Some sort of polarization perhaps?

Mines got a 2' crack. Auto-cracking came as standard.

GrouseK9 (01-03-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:49 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
I have to quote you here - do your own research.
IIS data is not free. I paid for it.
The SAE standard is there....just read it.
You still haven't proven me wrong
Anyways, it is my opinion / research, and I stand by it.
Zing!

Old 02-18-2022, 05:45 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben517
Speaking of windshields. Picked up my 22 defender yesterday.. has some type of film/ tint/ on it. Looks good but for some reason doesn’t cover full window. Cut out around the rear view mirror a bit too big.

is this standard from factory? Did dealer do this; and is the notches normal?
Congrats on the new truck. It is normal. It’s the cutout in order for your EZpass to work right through all of the coatings they put on the glass.

Ben517 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 07:19 PM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Found this explanation here: https://info.glass.com/metallized-windshield-purpose/

What is a Metalized Windshield?

The glass in these windshields, sometimes installed in higher-end luxury vehicles, contains a thin layer of metal oxide that is applied during the laminating stage of the manufacturing process. This coating helps to block ultraviolet (UV) rays.

Metal oxide film can also be applied in a retrofit application.

The Advantages of Metal Oxide Windshields

The layer of metal oxide reflects the sun and reduces the level of visible light. This provides a range of benefits, which include:
  • Reducing heat gain inside the car;
  • Protecting the interior against ultraviolet rays;
  • Reducing glare for the driver; and
  • Assisting in de-icing and defrosting.

curb-optional (01-04-2024)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Zing!
LOL .... u funny !