Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wireless CarPlay?

I currently drive a 2018 Discovery HSE and have been very pleased with it.
Looking at getting into a 2022 Defender 110 next.
I like the fact that I can hide my phone and (more importantly) cords away inside the center bin on the Disco.
I prefer a clean look without cables hanging everywhere.
The Defender looks like I would have to leave the phone and it's cable sitting out in the open...correct?
Is there a USB port inside the center bin on the Defender?
If so, does it charge and connect for CarPlay?
If not, does the Defender support wireless CarPlay?

Old 09-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

In theory wireless CarPlay and Android Auto could be possible, but Land Rover would likely need to flip a software switch to enable it. I wouldn't hold my breath on that possibility, knowing their track record.

The USB data ports for enabling wired CarPlay or AA (2 of them on my 2020, a USB- A and a USB-C) are in the "well" under the touchscreen, not under the lid of the center armrest. Some of us have installed a cradle for the phone next to the touchscreen, with a wire tucked away between port and cradle that also charges the phone. I prefer to see and access the screen of my phone, as there are some things you cannot do on the touchscreen when Android Auto is enabled.

This results in a somewhat more cluttered dash, of course, but it works for me (I also have my GMRS radio mic on the other side, so my dash was going to look cluttered regardless...)

Old 09-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

You can get wireless CarPlay using an adapter. I have the one from Carlinkit. It works pretty well. My experience has been that CarPlay on the Defender isn’t the best even with wired connections, it will drop or not connect from time to time even via USB, but overall the wireless adapters works very well.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

There are aftermarket third party devices that do that.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/s...ly-167671.html

Old 09-08-2021, 11:47 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the aftermarket options but they all still result in a visible cord + dongle hanging out of the USB port.
Was hoping for a cleaner / hidden option like what I currently have in the center bin in the Disco.
Wireless CarPlay would solve this.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco V
I've seen the aftermarket options but they all still result in a visible cord + dongle hanging out of the USB port.
Was hoping for a cleaner / hidden option like what I currently have in the center bin in the Disco.
Wireless CarPlay would solve this.
Even with OTA software updates, that's not going to happen. So it's dongles or nothing, I'm afraid. The only USB ports that support wired carplay or to connect an adapter are the two shown in umbertob's picture. You can hide the cables (and adapter) to some extent, but that's your only option for now.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Even with OTA software updates, that's not going to happen. So it's dongles or nothing, I'm afraid. The only USB ports that support wired carplay or to connect an adapter are the two shown in umbertob's picture. You can hide the cables (and adapter) to some extent, but that's your only option for now.
Cut the USB wire under the dash, put a new end on it and split it. Hide the dongle underneath. The in-dash port will still work. USB is very simply like that.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:06 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB splice

Love the idea. I’ve done this in the past with other car electronics and regularly ran into interference picked up on the audio. Post results if anyone has success trying this. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm using a wireless CarPlay adapter. Very clean install w/ minimal wires visible. Works fantastic

The following 2 users liked this post by DallasBBQ:
GrouseK9 (09-08-2021), lcajiga (10-18-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 97 Posts

@DallasBBQ If I may ask, which wireless Apple CarPlay adapter are you using?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay?