Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:30 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiDefender
Love the idea. I’ve done this in the past with other car electronics and regularly ran into interference picked up on the audio. Post results if anyone has success trying this. Thanks.
hmmm… don’t forget to keep the twisted pair twisted. There is a very good reason why they are twisted. Also, don’t do this with the Type-C cables unless all you want is power.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:38 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

My June 2020 build US spec P400 HSE would not wirelessly charge my iPhone 12 Pro. Dealer ordered part and installed it September 8 under warranty. Works great now.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:21 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I did what Dallasbbq did- a quick addition of 2 sided tape/ Velcro and it tucks under the console nicely.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wireless CarPlay $99.00

Originally Posted by rirealtor
I did what Dallasbbq did- a quick addition of 2 sided tape/ Velcro and it tucks under the console nicely.
Same solution here. Cplay2air, easy solution for $99.00. Works great so far!

The following 5 users liked this post by WARWGN:
drcoop (09-09-2021), GrouseK9 (09-09-2021), Lakenorman15 (09-13-2021), Siddious33 (09-10-2021), wawibu (09-09-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 02:09 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed Carlinkit adapter, which works great, but biggest problem appeared to be not this adapter, but Iphone wireless charging. It appears very difficult to charge Iphone wirelessly for more than 80% even with Smart Charging option off. Also Iphone keen to reduce charging speed to as low as 2,5-3W, when getting warm and it gets warm quickly every time it uses CarPlay navigation. If navigation is not in use and phone is initially cold plus battery is low, then it charges at maximum speed (7,5W) for like initial 10-15% charge and then speed is reduced to something like 5W and then to 3W, when battery gets to more then 70% charge.
Above said is valid for Iphone 11Pro, which is certified by Qi consortium as Base Power Profile (5W) unit charged with BPP certified charger. If I try to charge it with Extended Power Profile charger, then charging speed reduction is even quicker since Iphone gets warm much quicker.
iPhone 12 is not even certified by Qi consortium so Apple says their MagSafe charger are unique, but also compatible with Qi chargers, so if anyone could confirm, how well it works with car mount chargers, it would be great.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin60
I have installed Carlinkit adapter, which works great, but biggest problem appeared to be not this adapter, but Iphone wireless charging. It appears very difficult to charge Iphone wirelessly for more than 80% even with Smart Charging option off. Also Iphone keen to reduce charging speed to as low as 2,5-3W, when getting warm and it gets warm quickly every time it uses CarPlay navigation. If navigation is not in use and phone is initially cold plus battery is low, then it charges at maximum speed (7,5W) for like initial 10-15% charge and then speed is reduced to something like 5W and then to 3W, when battery gets to more then 70% charge.
Above said is valid for Iphone 11Pro, which is certified by Qi consortium as Base Power Profile (5W) unit charged with BPP certified charger. If I try to charge it with Extended Power Profile charger, then charging speed reduction is even quicker since Iphone gets warm much quicker.
iPhone 12 is not even certified by Qi consortium so Apple says their MagSafe charger are unique, but also compatible with Qi chargers, so if anyone could confirm, how well it works with car mount chargers, it would be great.
If you have a case on your iPhone, try taking it off. Phone cases, even Apple's own cases, are total Qi killers. Try your phone au naturel and see if you get better results. Mine gets hot when it's in a case and seems to charge slower, not so without.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:33 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by swajames
If you have a case on your iPhone, try taking it off. Phone cases, even Apple's own cases, are total Qi killers. Try your phone au naturel and see if you get better results. Mine gets hot when it's in a case and seems to charge slower, not so without.
there are different researches available in Internet saying silicon cases do not affect wireless charging anyhow. I did tests myself and also didn’t noticed any difference.
Anyway, main idea of wireless charging is no hustle with the phone, when sit in the car. If it would be necessary to remove phone case every time then it’s much easier just to plug the cable

Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 PM
4wd Low

I have a similar wireless carplay adapter as shown in some of the other posts but I often just use a cable instead of wireless. Here are some of the things i hate with the wireless carplay:
  1. Wireless carplay uses your phones wifi to communicate with the adapter so you can't use your phone to give your kids ipad internet with tethering
  2. Most times i get out of the car and its still connected to the wireless carplay adapter for about a minute. If i get a call it will try to send the audio to the car instead of the phone i have in hand out of the car
  3. While using wireless carplay its nice that my phone can stay in my pocket the entire drive but it also means I'm not charging it during the drive.
I still use mine but my regular usbc to lightning cable is always around for times i need to charge or tether

The following users liked this post:
drcoop (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Wireless CarPlay kind of sucks! Sorry.

Had it in a previous BMW truck and almost exclusively still used the wired connection.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:20 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Wireless CarPlay kind of sucks! Sorry.

Had it in a previous BMW truck and almost exclusively still used the wired connection.
​​​​​@MattEvan - This is true. I've been using it now for 2 weeks and it's great when it works but it randomly disconnects and then reconnects when it feels like it. No logic to it at all, other than it seems to disconnect consistently at the same spot on my commute, maybe some sort of interference in the air waves. However, I have been told it does this when plugged in also, so, who knows! Be interested to hear from folks who are using it wired up and how often it craps out.

The following users liked this post:
MattEvan (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay?