2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless CarPlay - can you force wired mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Wireless CarPlay - can you force wired mode?

Hello all,

As we all know the newest PIVI update allows wireless CarPlay.

my question: is there a way to select wired mode? I want to hear my music in the highest possible resolution, and wireless carplay does have some compression.

thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answer.

The following users liked this post:
longtrip68 (03-19-2024)
Old 01-05-2022, 10:50 PM
Mudding
Received 267 Likes on 107 Posts

I think the only way to do that is to turn off CarPlay and just select the phone as the media source.
Settings -> All -> (“Connectivity” or “Phone” or “Media” - not sure which) -> CarPlay -> OFF

Old 01-06-2022, 05:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123
Hello all,

As we all know the newest PIVI update allows wireless CarPlay.

my question: is there a way to select wired mode? I want to hear my music in the highest possible resolution, and wireless carplay does have some compression.

thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answer.
Turn off Bluetooth and plug your phone in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Newbote:
GrouseK9 (01-06-2022), _Allegedly (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 47 Posts

Ok I found a solution. See attached. In iphone go to settings > general > CarPlay > Land Rover Defender and then toggle the slider to OFF

Newbote I tried your solution but unplugging the device doesn’t end the music! That means it must be using wireless even if you turn off Bluetooth.

dj200 you can keep CarPlay on this way and not have to use as a USB device

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-11-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123
Ok I found a solution. See attached. In iphone go to settings > general > CarPlay > Land Rover Defender and then toggle the slider to OFF

Newbote I tried your solution but unplugging the device doesn’t end the music! That means it must be using wireless even if you turn off Bluetooth.

dj200 you can keep CarPlay on this way and not have to use as a USB device
Wireless CarPlay doesn't use bluetooth beyond the initial setup. Everything else takes place via a dedicated wifi network.

Documentation from Apple isn't clear, but it appears Wireless CarPlay will output at 16/44 or 16/48 and will transcode anything beyond 16/48 to 16/48.

What are you trying to play beyond CD-quality lossless? I consider myself something of a hifi aficionado too, but I don't know I'd be bothering too much about anything beyond lossless in my Defender...

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
GrouseK9 (07-11-2022), NeedaHobby (01-07-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:50 AM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Somewhat related question, but if anyone knows or can help, that would be great. My issue is, I want to use CarPlay but much prefer the native navigation system in Pivi Pro, over Google Maps or Waze. But when using CarPlay, when clicking on the Nav icon, it automatically takes you to Google Maps via CarPlay. I have to turn off CarPlay, the way Pangea123 suggests, in my phone settings to use my preferred Navigation in Pivi, but then lose my music selections and other CarPlay features. Does anyone have a workaround?

Old 01-10-2022, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Somewhat related question, but if anyone knows or can help, that would be great. My issue is, I want to use CarPlay but much prefer the native navigation system in Pivi Pro, over Google Maps or Waze. But when using CarPlay, when clicking on the Nav icon, it automatically takes you to Google Maps via CarPlay. I have to turn off CarPlay, the way Pangea123 suggests, in my phone settings to use my preferred Navigation in Pivi, but then lose my music selections and other CarPlay features. Does anyone have a workaround?
Pivi Pro remembers the last used navigation app. You just need to go to the main pivi pro menu, go to the apps screen, and select the native navigation from there. Set your destination and go. Your audio and others can still be selected via CarPlay, and you can access CarPlay on the main screen and view your navigation in your interactive display. If you want to view the native pivi navigation on the main display, CarPlay audio will still work.

The following 5 users liked this post by swajames:
dj200 (01-10-2022), nashvegas (07-11-2022), robsonj (01-10-2022), TheMoke (01-10-2022), WTFChuck (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Wireless CarPlay doesn't use bluetooth beyond the initial setup. Everything else takes place via a dedicated wifi network.

Documentation from Apple isn't clear, but it appears Wireless CarPlay will output at 16/44 or 16/48 and will transcode anything beyond 16/48 to 16/48.

What are you trying to play beyond CD-quality lossless? I consider myself something of a hifi aficionado too, but I don't know I'd be bothering too much about anything beyond lossless in my Defender...
Not to mention even the upgraded merdian system in my X is trash. The reverberation and tinny mids arent even worth lossless audio.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Pivi Pro remembers the last used navigation app. You just need to go to the main pivi pro menu, go to the apps screen, and select the native navigation from there. Set your destination and go. Your audio and others can still be selected via CarPlay, and you can access CarPlay on the main screen and view your navigation in your interactive display. If you want to view the native pivi navigation on the main display, CarPlay audio will still work.
i discovered this feature yesterday, I prefer the built in nav, mainly because it integrates into the instrument cluster and hud. I do wish you could enter an address from either the remote app or similar to bmw, enter the address on the iPhone maps app , then sent it to the native nav app via the CarPlay nav

Old 07-11-2022, 04:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I have notices - the Apple Carplay audio quality is bad and breaks out so I now listen to music soley through bluetooth and the quality is much better and doesnt break out.

A potential reason why I think bluetooth works better is that I can raise the volume close to full on my phone and then on Pivi have the volume close to half. In Carplay you cant adjust the volume on the phone.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay - can you force wired mode?