Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless Carplay and Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireless Carplay and Hotspot

I've installed the latest update and have the Wireless Carplay working with my iphone. What I have noticed is that it requires the phone to connect to the wifi hotspot in the Defender for the Apple Carplay to work wireless, which is fine.

The issue that I am seeing is that, because the phone is connected to the hotspot in the car, that makes my phones internet connection be the hotspot and not use my 5g connection in my phone. The problem I am seeing is that the hotspot data connection in the defender is not as reliable or fast as my phones 5g and thats causing delays in messages or emails, or songs to download, etc.

I saw on other manufacturers they have settings for using the wifi only for carplay and not general internet, is there such a setting or method with the Defender?

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Jarrodrex (04-16-2024)
Old 03-11-2022, 04:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

HOLY MOLY. You just fixed my issue. After a recent dealer visit, wireless CarPlay stopped working on both of our phones. I was puzzled.

Turns out - phone was no longer paired to join automatically the car wifi network. Which means... no .. wireless.. CarPlay.

That said -- I see your point above and have no solution for this, I would imagine it's a universal issue. I've never noticed any lagging on my phone when CarPlay is connected though.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:10 PM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LRDef
I've installed the latest update and have the Wireless Carplay working with my iphone. What I have noticed is that it requires the phone to connect to the wifi hotspot in the Defender for the Apple Carplay to work wireless, which is fine.

The issue that I am seeing is that, because the phone is connected to the hotspot in the car, that makes my phones internet connection be the hotspot and not use my 5g connection in my phone. The problem I am seeing is that the hotspot data connection in the defender is not as reliable or fast as my phones 5g and thats causing delays in messages or emails, or songs to download, etc.

I saw on other manufacturers they have settings for using the wifi only for carplay and not general internet, is there such a setting or method with the Defender?

Thanks!
The setting to use cellular data if wifi is poor (Wi-Fi Assist) is in the cellular settings, right at the bottom under all the app settings:

The following users liked this post:
WAFOX (04-11-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Resurrecting old thread.

I was able to connect to the car wirelessly via bluetooth until Pivi updated to 4.1.1. Since then it forces Wifi or wired, no bluetooth. Dealer is stumped and essentially told me to 'live with it" but like OP my phone's wireless is much better than the one baked into the Defender.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nashvegas
HOLY MOLY. You just fixed my issue. After a recent dealer visit, wireless CarPlay stopped working on both of our phones. I was puzzled.

Turns out - phone was no longer paired to join automatically the car wifi network. Which means... no .. wireless.. CarPlay.

That said -- I see your point above and have no solution for this, I would imagine it's a universal issue. I've never noticed any lagging on my phone when CarPlay is connected though.
Just encountered this issue as well. New 2024 Defender 110 P400, all was working perfectly. I purchased the GAP IID tool and enabled the wireless hotspot, and connected to it with my phone. I decided that my phones cell service was faster and "forgot" the car's wifi hotspot, and that was when I started having issues. It was only by finding this thread that I experimented by reconnecting to the cars hotstpot, and BINGO, that fixed the issue for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by JLK265:
TSY (04-15-2024), WAFOX (04-13-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh! I’m flummoxed!

When my friend attached his iPhone via cord all hell broke loose. Despite trying to reboot the car, software, nada. I can’t connect via Bluetooth. I had to connect to CarPlay via usb-c. No clue how to connect via Bluetooth.

Originally Posted by JLK265
Just encountered this issue as well. New 2024 Defender 110 P400, all was working perfectly. I purchased the GAP IID tool and enabled the wireless hotspot, and connected to it with my phone. I decided that my phones cell service was faster and "forgot" the car's wifi hotspot, and that was when I started having issues. It was only by finding this thread that I experimented by reconnecting to the cars hotstpot, and BINGO, that fixed the issue for me.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:03 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Car Play

Any idea if an Apple Watch connected to phone via Bluetooth can interfere?

Old 07-08-2024, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I didn't order the Wi-Fi hot spot (even though it was just about $400) because my phone has LTE. I don't get how the car's hotspot helps when I have unlimited data from my cell phone? For folks that paid for the Wi-Fi hotspot, has it been more problem than solution?

Old 07-08-2024, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

My understanding...CarPlay is wifi or wired only. Bluetooth is used to negotiate the wifi connection.

If you shut off CarPlay on your phone, you should still have the option to connect limited media (music, contacts, calls) via Bluetooth. The bandwidth required to have the CarPlay iOS screen appear in the car is too much for bluetooth. That is why the wire or a small wireless network is created/used in your car for CarPlay. If you do go with the non-Carplay option and use bluetooth for music, the quality of the music is noticeably lower.

I agree that the phone and the car can become confused, especially in your driveway where your phone is trying to connect the car wifi, your home wifi and the cellular connection. Apple could do better with this than they do IMO as the same problem exists when you simply walk away from your house and you have weak signals as I do in my neighborhood. I have not played with settings to see if any of this can be simplified, mostly because I feel like it changes with Pivi update or iPhone update. Welcome to subscription-based cars.

Old 07-09-2024, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedaHobby
My understanding...CarPlay is wifi or wired only. Bluetooth is used to negotiate the wifi connection.
In order for Wireless CarPlay to work, is the Wi-Fi enabled Data Plan required? I was under the impression Wireless CarPlay was available regardless of Wi-Fi enabled Data Plan, or a Hot Spot. Doesn't the Defender have Wi-Fi capability for software updates when the vehicle is parked in the garage overnight for example? Wi-Fi enabled Data Plan is one of the few options I didn't get.

Last edited by D110Xd; 07-09-2024 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay and Hotspot