Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless charging overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wireless charging overheating

On a road trip yesterday, had my iPhone 12 Pro sitting on the wireless charger while using CarPlay/Google maps for navigating. The map suddenly went away, the CarPlay disconnected, and when I picked up the phone, it had the thermometer icon with the message the phone was over heated and needed to cool down before using.

Cabin temp was a comfortable 68 degrees.

Anyone else have this problem?

TIA

Mark
2022 Defender 110 X

Old 02-12-2022, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 309 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo
On a road trip yesterday, had my iPhone 12 Pro sitting on the wireless charger while using CarPlay/Google maps for navigating. The map suddenly went away, the CarPlay disconnected, and when I picked up the phone, it had the thermometer icon with the message the phone was over heated and needed to cool down before using.

TIA

Mark
2022 Defender 110 X

Two questions:

1) Did you have the screen facing up or facing down while sitting on the charging pad?
2) Was your phone in a case, and if so, what type of case?

Wireless charging is a less efficient way to transfer energy, when compared to the classic wired procedure. Air doesn’t conduct electricity as good as wire. That’s why heat is generated.

The iPhone gets hot during inductive wireless charging because the battery is not able to absorb and store 100% of the energy that it gets from the MagSafe charging puck. This inefficiency is converted to heat.

The iPhone 12 Pro models are more susceptible to overheating due to their size, but the phone does have circuitry in it to prevent damage. However, the use of GPS tracking software can accelerate the heating process.

The following 3 users liked this post by The Insider:
GrouseK9 (02-12-2022), HakubaMatata (02-18-2022), TrioLRowner (03-02-2023)
Old 02-12-2022, 08:58 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Yep. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago on a long trip. The phone is in a case and I was using Apple Maps, so not surprised. I ended up using the lightning cable and sticking the phone on the ledge in front of the center air vents to cool it down. The battery was low when we started the trip.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I did have it screen up and in a plastic MagSafe case. I think the solution is to just not keep it on the pad, just put it there when needing a recharge. Thanks for the comment.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pixel 6 pro and a 2022 and the wireless charging doesn't work for me. The phone recognizes tbe charging pad and flashes the battery percentage but then doesn't charge. Once I got it to charge so maybe it is location based. I use a wireless charger pixel stand at home with no issues.

I do notice because of android auto the phone does get hot. Have yet to take a road trip. I plan to just plug in to charge which is kind of a bummer.

Asking the dealer about the charging issue.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:31 PM
Winching
Received 570 Likes on 302 Posts

I have the same issue in my 2021 Audi RS6 Avant. Iphone XS

There's a TSB for the Audi...

Matt

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo

TIA

Mark
2022 Defender 110 X

Old 02-15-2022, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I've noticed that with the advent of wireless android auto and car play that the wireless charge pad can't keep up with the power consumption your phone burns while connected. If I start off on a trip with a near fully charged phone sitting on the charge pad, within 2-3 hours the phone is hot and near dead on battery power. Fine for short trips but anything cross country requires direct wire to keep up.

The following 4 users liked this post by mikelr:
HakubaMatata (02-18-2022), Kev M (02-27-2023), Lnberger (03-02-2022), Mike_F (02-28-2023)
Old 02-15-2022, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 260 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelr
I've noticed that with the advent of wireless android auto and car play that the wireless charge pad can't keep up with the power consumption your phone burns while connected. If I start off on a trip with a near fully charged phone sitting on the charge pad, within 2-3 hours the phone is hot and near dead on battery power. Fine for short trips but anything cross country requires direct wire to keep up.
I have the complete opposite but I also shut everything down running in the background. Apps only run if I have them open on the Phone. i have an S20. For me, the phone will stay charged on 6-hour trips with no issues. Actually, many times I have to take my phone off the pad because it is fully charged and the wireless system does not have a battery management system. When your phone is fully charged, it is best to remove it from the pad and place it somewhere else. You will know the phone is charged by having the icon of a circle around a lighting bolt.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 260 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelr
I have the complete opposite but I also shut everything down running in the background. Apps only run if I have them open on the Phone. i have an S20. For me, the phone will stay charged on 6-hour trips with no issues. Actually, many times I have to take my phone off the pad because it is fully charged and the wireless system does not have a battery management system. When your phone is fully charged, it is best to remove it from the pad and place it somewhere else. You will know the phone is charged by having the icon of a circle around a lighting bolt.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any solution? Having similar problem…

Having the same problem as original post—when running CarPlay (specifically simultaneously using Spotify and Waze) and charging wirelessly, phone overheats. This usually takes about 45 minutes for the phone to start misbehaving, so I throw it up on the dash in front of the air vent. This works in the summer, but wondering what i’ll do in the winter.

2020 Defender; iPhone X. Face up on the wireless charging pad; using a casemate “barely there” cover. Started happening a few months ago.

Quick Reply: Wireless charging overheating