4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Heading out for 4.5 days on Vancouver Island

Old 05-31-2018, 08:06 PM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Heading out for 4.5 days on Vancouver Island

I thought I would start a thread about this 5 day trip, starting on Monday the 4th of June. This will be largely Forest Service Roads - other than where you have no choice but to back track and the hi-way north on the 1st day.

For those of you not familiar you take the ferry from the mainland to the island the disembarking at Nanamio. The trip north to Port Hardy is about 385 Km over 4 hours. From Port Hardy it is another hour and about 15 minutes to Holberg.

From Holberg my intent is to camp at Cape Scott provincial park area and end my 1st day.

Biggest issue in that are area are Wolves, Cougars and Black bears so good food practices are critical.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Sub'd! Happy trails!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM
TReK
Default Packed, good to go less frozen food, and camera etc.

I travel solo so I tend to pack for comfort.

I carry bear spray , a short 12 gauge and air horn for animal issues. Yet I still reach for my camera 1st.

Bears are not much of a problem if you keep your food sealed until use and cooking gear clean.

Wolves not too much of an issue, as long as you keep clear.

Cougars are a pain, they rarely attack adults. But you usually see tracks but not the cat, they like small dogs as a snack/lunch.

You will note the gas can, yes I carry it inside it is a no vent can and after 7 years there has never been a issue.

Tools and hi-lift are on passenger foot well floor, I do not generally need them so they are out of the way.

Yes I have the hi-tech plywood sleeping platform, it works well and it is only in the disco when I need it.

Shovel and Axe go on the roof.

Empty and ready for loading

Loaded up rear

Passenger footwells loaded up

Head for the VHF radio, GPS for APRS, GPS for travel and an old Cellphone for ODB monitoring and temp gauge)

Body of the radio - the plex is starting to crack. It will get replaced with a modified one.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Have a great trip...and take plenty of pictures (with Dll included). Very jealous, kind of wish l would have planned a camping trip for this weekend. Looking forward to seeing your adventure/exploration unfold. Plus, nice to see someone using the rover for it's intention...exploring.

Brian.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 AM
Camel Trophy

Question, do you haul potable water in with you? Don't see any container in the rover. I usually take 5 gallons, comes in handy for cooking and cleaning. It's surprising how fast you can go through five gallons, too. About four days for me and the grandson.

Brian.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:14 PM
TReK
Smile

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Question, do you haul potable water in with you? Don't see any container in the rover. I usually take 5 gallons, comes in handy for cooking and cleaning. It's surprising how fast you can go through five gallons, too. About four days for me and the grandson.

Brian.
Yes I do, about the same amount 5 gals -in one of those big black military water cans. The can was sitting in the yard waiting to be filled ,had no water when I took those pictures (city working on the mains).

Water here is pretty plentiful, as long as you filter or boil it very drinkable as well. But if I carry it I do not have to worry,about water for coffee

Old 06-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Camel Trophy

We're fortunate to have several artesian wells in the area where we camp. So, refilling is never an issue.

Camp coffee...nothing better!

Brian.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:10 PM
TReK

And as per usual on the Wet Coast forecast is now for rain /showers for the the next 7 to 10 days. Gotta love SW BC, no place for witches that is for sure.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:41 PM
TReK

Well I am home. after an interesting trip. the Disco performed well except for a bunch of idiot issues save for 1 :

Day 3 I heard a rattling noise shortly after leaving a camp site at Alice lake, stopped a place called Maynard lake, 10K up the FSR, and 40 from civilization to see what was up as it was in intermittent rattle. Turned out the left rear caliper had no bolts in it any more, so a nice slow trip to Port McNeil with minimal braking and avoiding pot holes.

The mechanic (only 1) was out on a service call, pulled a bolt from my right rear and went in search of bolts. 8mm fine thread almost impossible to find. But a engine rebuilder happened to have some - thank god for engine/machine shops in logging/fishing communities they are large shops.

No damage of note the caliper and got it back on, and sorted out.

Checking my engine compartment the positive battery cable had also come loose and was barely on. 10 minute fix, the connector just needed to be spread and re-seated.

Off I went to Zeballos,after a quick set of brake checks. After braking very hard on wet ugly gravel 3 amigos !, and no they did not reset the whole way home. But I had brakes so I continued on. This on coudl be that left rear wheel sensor or the main unit, but I have a spare unit I pulled from a wreck, next weeks work.

Waking to a massive rain storm scheduled for the whole day I decided to head for home. On the way between Campbell river and Courtney M& S stared to flash and semi Limp Mode, but the Disco was running strong. So into Courtney and the Canadian tire and mall where I could get wireless. Pop the hood the check the battery, and the intake hose is completely off the throttle body, replace the hose clamp, startup no M&S and all was good for the 200K home.

No coolant or oil loss the whole trip so really other than the Amigos no major issues, but I want to punch whoever did the brakes last, caliper bolts so never come loose and fallout.

Full report an pictures coming shortly

Old 06-08-2018, 01:05 PM
TReK

Teaser pictures

Heading to Grants bay Tuesday Morning

Link River Campsite - before Disco gods caught up with me

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
The Deputy (06-10-2018), wjsj69 (06-08-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heading out for 4.5 days on Vancouver Island