4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story

So. I probably bit off more than I can chew when it came to off-roading this past Sunday. Thought I would share the crazy longwinded story with y'all.

I am a country girl from Missouri. Been muddin' in Chevy trucks more times than I can count and off-roading down backroads with the boys more times than I would ever admit to my Daddy I come from a dirt track stock car racing family! I was a HUMVEE driver in the Marine Corps, have driven over every inch of 29 Palms, Okinawa Japan and the swamps of North Carolina. Yet, now on my second Rover this is the first time I went off-roading with one.

My husband (as I have complained before) is a motorcycle guy. He loves his crotch rocket, wants to do track days, I spend too many weekends up on the famous Mulholland Fwy here in SoCal just watching him go up then down (BORING! I am not one to watch anyone do anything, but I love him). I think my Mother's Day Land Rover gift was an attempt to get me a toy so he could spend time with his toy and to get me to stop complaining about the expense of his hobby!

We had heard about a state park that had 'built' an off-roading park for public use. Tucked away in the mountains near Azuza, CA lies the Azuza Off Highway Vehicle Park. Trucks, ATV, Dirt Bikes Dune Buggies, Jeeps, and even some Rovers all come together to play for a small $8 fee for the day. I had been begging to go. I was dying to just sit and observe. Didn't want to drive through rivers or creeks, didn't have tires for true muddin', don't have the confidence in my ability to do climb hills or crawl rocks, and frankly don't know my Rover well enough to trust it's ability. So we packed a cooler with Trader Joe's finest sandwiches and coconut water, made sure our 3 year old was wearing the cutest off-roading outfit, and headed out.

After a pretty short(ish) drive we started nearing the park. I was so excited...like the first day of Middle School excited! From above we could see the trucks in the mud near the bridge, ATV's running around on the little trails, Jeeps roaring up the hill side. We pulled up in our clean white LR3 and the park guy said "you know your car won't look the same when you leave". Well as long as it doesn't end up looking like a Prius we will be okay with that. He advised us not to drink and drive. Placed a red day pass sticker on the car and pointed us to the entrance. HERE WE GO!!!!

With my husband driving the pavement ended and lead us into a drop down into dirt, rocks, and sand. I was a little wide-eyed at the HUMONGOUS trucks making their way out of the park area, slightly panicking at being the 'new guy' and the little guy! Standing strong that we were NOT driving through water under NO circumstances we do our drop in, turn the corner when BA BAM! 25 yards in there is a spot were you have to call upon to Jesus himself and drive upon the ocean water! The water was so HIGH, there was a 947 ft water fall and dragons breathing fire on both sides! Are you kidding me? This is my NEW TO ME CAR! This is NOT Missouri back roads! This is HELL! (see photo below. Dragon on left, waterfall on right . My husband crossed, I panicked and Baby Girl was so excited that our car turns into a boat! Once we got to the other side we followed tire tracks made by the other travelers before us on this magical foreign land were mostly dirt bikes and ATV's roamed. Continuing on to find the bridge we had seen from above we encountered what was OBVIOUSLY a tiny little babbling brook (which my husband says was the same as the first crossing...I didn't see it the similarities at all . We stopped for photo ops and watched a kind man in a Jeep winch out the Chevy Avalanche that was stuck amounts the rocks in the crossing as Ford Rangers blew right past him.

My husband forced me behind the wheel and I did that crossing myself. My daughter added cool points to my tally side. I admitted my ridiculousness to my husband. Calmed down and began to goof off a little. Testing out all my settings, learning and listening to my husband explain every question I had about any and every 'what if' I could come up with. I gained some confidence. We watched other vehicles drive up and down the hills. Some made it, few did not. THEN IT HAPPENED...I said I'll drive up that!!! It doesn't look so bad! Not to steep, tops off at a good level spot right where the gradual slope can take you down.

After some more goofing off hubs got out stating let's do it...I'll spot you! Away I went doing what the Jeep before me did! Turns out it was one of the harder climbs, ruts that looked could swallow the dragons from the first crossing! All doable though...we were doing well. Except when the sharp left turn came at the top...so did the BIGGEST rut I had ever seen other than the Grand Canyon. There were some big ones on the way...but this was in the midst of a turn and awkwardly situated. Front left tire dug into the sand, rear right making contact with NOTHING, I can't even recall the location of the other tires. I had backed a little, forward some, pushed the limits of the tipping point and with my eyes carefully afixed on my husband's hand signals put my full (PANIC) faith into him and the Rover. We were beyond the point of backing down the 50 yards or so. YET couldn't get up. Didn't have the right side clearance to go around. Couldn't get the left tire aligned where it needed to be to get up. Honestly, I didn't have the skill. This was a climb that tests a drivers skill level more than vehicle ability or performance.
Slowly I could feel the sand slipping away one grain at a time. I had adrenaline pumping, making attempts not to choke on all that panic, was fighting the wifely urge to blame my husband when all of a sudden the most unexpected happened! My 3 year old launched a golf ball sized rock at the drivers door from WAY ABOVE us announcing "MOM! I TOLDS YOU WE HAB A SANDY SEAT-CHEW-ATION! DIS' NOT A GOOD IDEAS"! Thanks kid this is one hell of situation! You just said what the now 30-50 people gathering at the bottom are all saying. There was what seemed like sea of trucks and people watching at the bottom. They and I both knew that if this went wrong it WOULD end up the size of a Prius when we left!!!

A kind stranger with a Jeep and a winch suddenly appeared in front of me from the other side! Him and my husband worked quickly to hook us up. My legs were shaking, my wrists were sore, my abs were hurting! I was ready to be over the top of this. The hubs only asked twice (once before the winch, once on the way down) if I wanted to switch places...but I started this, I'll finish this. Even if I was swallowing pride now to let a JEEP bail me out the last 20 feet

I had to drop back and get everything aligned. Up and over we went. I looked down and though "$%&&#@%*$@ER" now I have to go down! The descent was easy! I thanked and hugged the unknown hero with the winch. Who said he had trouble on that hill that morning and that he had seen several vehicles roll down over the year. We asked the kid taking video if he would share it with us...I will post it if he does.

We did visit the mud and other areas in the park. We did spot ONE other Rover. I did eventually calm down. My husband said there is no shame in getting a winch up and that it still counts as making it. I don't know if I agree. I was slightly embarrassed and slightly aggravated. First, thing I did was call my Daddy and ask him why he couldn't have raised me with some level of fear? He said he focused on making sure I wasn't too stupid to fear anything. I said I wanted a gold sticky star for what I had done! My husband did say the smile on my face was one he had never seen...he said the same thing about my sound of the panic in my voice! I fell in LOVE! I must go back. (NOT to do that again) I must get better prepared. I even eventually danced a stupid girly celebration dance I hugged my husband. I remember what a great team we can be.

Overall what did I learn yesterday?

-That my Rover and I are just alike. We both drive kids to football practice all week and we both skip church on Sundays to get real dirty with the boys!

-California's idea of off-roading is WAY different than mine!

-Most of all. Trust was build and love renewed. I love my LR3! I trust her! (which makes me feel guilty about the panicked thoughts of just getting out and letting her bounce down the mountain alone)

What did my husband learn?

-That he would save money if his wife loved shopping!

What did baby learn?

-Car is a good 'hiker'!

Thanks for reading this unnecessarily long story

*All photos are credited to my darling non-panicking husband. Sorry none during the craziness of it all.

Attached Thumbnails Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story-ohv5.jpg   Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story-ohv2.jpg   Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story-ohv13.jpg   Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story-ohv9.jpg   Off-Roading:The LR3 Love Story-img_6179.jpg  

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubs made a little video of our day! If you want to check out the Azuza Off Highway Vehicle Park and/or get a closer look of the dragons and waterfall. It really is a good place to learn and goof about if you live in SoCal. Hope the link works.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Noticed you are here in the LA area. There is a small group of us, all family oriented, who make some really fun off highway trips. If you are interested in joining us sometime let me know

Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job! Looks like you had a great time! That's what counts.

Good write up too. I enjoyed reading it.