4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Trails near Zion NP?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails near Zion NP?

Anyone know of any family friendly trails near Zion NP? Going this weekend and would love to get off the beat path a bit. There are ton's of "jeep adventure" tours but no one shares where the tours go online (haha)

Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM

I have not wheeled in that area but I would get copies of either a Benchmark or DeLorme Utah Atlas and Gazetteer that have excellent topo maps of the whole state of Utah. There are a couple of Zion area Trails Illustrated maps that will show trails/backroads near the park. There is map #214 for Zion NP and map #702 for the nearby areas of Cedar Mtn/Pine Valley Mtn. Call or google the St. George BLM office for info. The fun part of wheeling exploration is just to starting picking 4x4 trails/backroads off a map near Zion and take off and see how far you can go and what you can see. St. George area 4x4 shops or Tourism offices can also supply info. You can join the expeditionutah.com forum online tonight and post questions about sw Utah. The forum has incredibly knowledgeable members from all over Utah more than willing to give info to people. I am a member of the expeditionutah.com forum and have been for a long time.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of my youth was spent in Moab and Central Utah 4-wheeling. Every time we did Bryce/Zions it was on the pavement.

That said, I've recently been looking at the off-road trails in the St. George area and have found a pretty good ATV trail map off of the internet showing some of the more popular routes as well as the location of the Sand Mountain recreational site which allegedly has Moab-style obstacles of varying difficulties.

I imagine the rest of the loops will be family-friendly dirt roads and you may never even need 4WL except for ascending hills. Sorry I can't help anymore, as I haven't wheeled down there yet.

BM me your email address and I can forward you the map. I can't remember which website had it, there are a LOT of ATV/4WD sites dedicated to Utah trails. The problem isn't finding info, its wading through that info to find the trails that fit your need.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a Benchmark book and its already been very helpful.