4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Weekend of exploring.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts
Default Weekend of exploring.

Sitting around Saturday morning, wife said she was going shopping all day with her sisters...and had to work Sunday. Twenty minutes later...the Discovery was heading north. Needed it, put down an old female "love of my life" bird dog last Saturday (14) and after doing jury duty all week and hearing/seeing from the lowest elements of society...it was time to clear out some stuff.

Besides the previously mentioned, also wanted to do a bit of exploring...in hopes of finding enough interesting trails for out Rover group here in Michigan. Our group is relatively new, so no off road outings have happen...yet. Did a bunch of searching yesterday and today, and found "what I would call" a good days worth of somewhat difficult trails...enough to justify an outing.

Snapped a couple pictures, nothing exciting, checking oil (up there, yes l'm bad), drive through window lunch, trail exploring, camp and home. Unforunately, my charger wasn't working during some of the best trails. Found the most serious this morning, almost thought l'd be breaking out the recovery gear...but the old girl...on her third try...scrambled up the steep bank of the mud hole.

​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Camel Trophy

To difficult too edit original post (should read...impossible), and forgot to mention...used jerry can for the first time (held gas nicely...fills tank without spillage), used axe for clearing a 10 inch diameter tree (axe worked nicely...me...not so much...lol), used buck saw several times (yes, my arms are a bit sore today) and although it was solemn at times...visiting our old stomping grounds alone...it was a beautiful way to spend the weekend taking care of stuff.

500 miles over the two days...and the rover never missed a beat.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-19-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

I like your idea of trail scouting, it appears we think alike. Sorry to hear about your dog, it is always tough to say good to a companion of that many years.

I l looks like you had a good day though.

The Deputy (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Thank you Richard.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Sorry about you dog, looks like you had a good time tho. We definitely need to plan a trip.

The Deputy (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Camel Trophy

Thank you Richard.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks like you had a good day for clearing the mind. I'm sorry to hear about Gwen, Brian. Fourteen years is a long time companion for sure - definitely not easy.

You and your wife look really familiar! Don't know where we would have crossed paths before now, however. Would definitely like to partake in a Rover weekend sometime, just need to get the beast back on the road. Looking into every avenue feasible as I'm still waiting on the second shop.

We skipped town this weekend too and spent a few days in the Frankfort area. What a gorgeous weekend to be outside

Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Looks like you had a good day for clearing the mind. I'm sorry to hear about Gwen, Brian. Fourteen years is a long time companion for sure - definitely not easy.
Thank you Christina. Her and l saw a lot of the north woods together.

You and your wife look really familiar! Don't know where we would have crossed paths before now, however.
If you watch America's Most Wanted or visit the post office frequently...that could be it...lol. No, l believe, my wife has been in your shop before. Me, unless you follow English setter bird dogs around the woods, or fancy fine SXS shotguns, or spend more time chasing ruffed grouse than any ordinary person...we have probably never met. Like l tell folks..."Spent most of my time and money chasing bird dogs and ruffed grouse, the rest, l wasted."

Would definitely like to partake in a Rover weekend sometime, just need to get the beast back on the road. Looking into every avenue feasible as I'm still waiting on the second shop.
Yes, l hope you get the rover running soon. It would be nice if we could finally get a group together for an outing. Granted, we would definitely allow you and the Jeep.

We skipped town this weekend too and spent a few days in the Frankfort area. What a gorgeous weekend to be outside
Love Frankfort, been a few...but enjoyed my visit there. Is the Badger still there?

Brian.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
If you watch America's Most Wanted or visit the post office frequently...that could be it...lol. No, l believe, my wife has been in your shop before. Me, unless you follow English setter bird dogs around the woods, or fancy fine SXS shotguns, or spend more time chasing ruffed grouse than any ordinary person...we have probably never met. Like l tell folks..."Spent most of my time and money chasing bird dogs and ruffed grouse, the rest, l wasted."

Love Frankfort, been a few...but enjoyed my visit there. Is the Badger still there?
Brian.
Nah.. I probably saw you on an episode of 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' driving around in your Porche ... (note the 3 dots) and you never know, I suppose I could recognize your wife from the store. Nice to hear that she stopped in and checked it out. If you two get up this way stop in and say 'hello'. I'm not there much but occasionally you'll catch me on a Sunday - probably more so after the summer winds down.

I think the Badger may be stationed in Ludington now?.. we didn't stay too far from the harbor and only smaller boats were observed. Surprisingly, there were only a handful of boats out on Lake Michigan off of Elberta Bluff. I figured that the beach may be crowded but it was quite pleasant! Booked a weekend for next summer as well - the area brings back good memories of my childhood summers spent with both sets of grandparents

I've attached a photo of the view we had Friday for our picnic - I must just take blurry photos lol..

Christina

Attached Thumbnails Weekend of exploring.-elbertabluff.jpg  

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 08-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

..Feeling your pain Brian; I'm an animal-guy, have had to say goodbye to too many great companions over the years.. Hope you get another one at the appropriate time; they make you live better and maybe longer. This was my best bud who had to leave recently: Brutus at the beach

Attached Thumbnails Weekend of exploring.-dscn2992.jpg  
The Deputy (08-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Weekend of exploring.