Woodlands, TX: is it worth the detour - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 AM

Default Woodlands, TX: is it worth the detour

Im thinking about taking a long detour through the Woodlands, Texas on my way to Alaska. But I dont know much about Texas let alone any special places worth visiting or any LR events near Houston. I could just fly down and spend a week there but I think an extended road trip would be more delightful.

Any folks on here live in or around Houston or the Woodlands? Are there any upcoming LR events in said region? And any recommendations on scenic places worth visiting? Im not much into city life or urban. Looking for fantastic landscapes to admire and take pictures of with my DLSR.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 PM

What's so special about that place? Looks like Branson, MO.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 PM

I was down in Houston at our corporate office last fall and one of the salesmen told me he was going to The Woodlands to drum up some business. He acted as if everyone knew what 'The Woodlands' were. Well seeing as I was (and still am) clueless, I googled it and determined that it was nothing more than a planned community with natural areas for exploring. Why not take in a National Park somewhere or another area of Natural Beauty? Up to you... I'm at a loss as to what the attraction is. I'll be happy if I never have to go to Houston again. If you like detours like this.. knock yourself out:

I cried for days.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 04-24-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:20 AM

if you like chain restaurants and home owners associations you'll love it

its a generic suburb on the outskirts of a metropolitan area. Nothing to see there except tiny well manicured lawns on 0 lot line mc mansions.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 AM

Soundslike the start of a Jimmy Buffet song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post

its a generic suburb on the outskirts of a metropolitan area. Nothing to see there except tiny well manicured lawns on 0 lot line mc mansions.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM

Soundslike the start of a Jimmy Buffet song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post

Looks to be about a 22hr detour. I wouldn't detour for that if it was only 2hrs.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 PM

Woodlands is the destination of intereste but I was asking for suggestions on scenic places in surrounding area. Offroad trails, state parks, animal sanctuary, historic places, land rover events etc. Roughly within 4 hour radius of Houston.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 AM

Galveston, TX & the San Luis Pass = a nice place to wheel in the soft sand. It's not hard packed like Crystal Beach, TX. If you want real fun off roading Hidden Falls is a lot of fun out just west of Austin, TX.

The Woodlands, Houston, Katy, and Cypress = worthless for anything but mall crawling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Best4x4 For This Useful Post:
TRIARII (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 AM

You find someone on FarmersOnly that lives in Woodlands? The only reason to drive 22hrs out of your way in a gas guzzling D2 is poon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIARII View Post
Woodlands is the destination of intereste but I was asking for suggestions on scenic places in surrounding area. Offroad trails, state parks, animal sanctuary, historic places, land rover events etc. Roughly within 4 hour radius of Houston.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
Galveston, TX & the San Luis Pass = a nice place to wheel in the soft sand. It's not hard packed like Crystal Beach, TX. If you want real fun off roading Hidden Falls is a lot of fun out just west of Austin.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a hour north of Austin and have been wondering what good places I can go.