Appearance & Camping Set Ups Talk about your interior and exterior mods including camping and rooftop camper set ups here.

Interest in carbon fiber parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interest in carbon fiber parts?

A good friend of mine owns a carbon fiber (Real carbon fiber) business (G3 Composites LLC). He & I have been friends for over 10 years (In real life).

We're both enthusiasts as well, of course. All supplies are sourced from the USA & all work is done in the USA (He is based in FL)

I am posting to gauge interest on what folks may want.

I'd be happy to become a vendor if there was enough interest.

I just sent him several pieces from my Corvette that I should have soon. Can't wait to get them back.

Here is a link to some of the work he has done:
Pictures by g3Composites - Photobucket

Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What grade of carbon is used?

How many layers of carbon is laminated for a typical molded and a flat piece?

What other materials are used as a sub-base?

Is final coating UV protected?

Are products currently being used in race events to test durability?

And most importantly, where are the cost details?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
8th Gear

> What grade of carbon is used? Aerospace grade
6 ounce
2X2 Twill

> How many layers of carbon is laminated for a typical molded and a flat piece?

There is no set number of layers. Everything we build is to spec for the individual and unique needs of a given project. On our Corvette door sills, we use 4 layers of Carbon with the occasional 12 ounce woven glass as a support layer, a single layer on wrap work, yet our radiator cover gets three (total layers) of carbon, plus one layers of 18 ounce fiberglass.
The popular misconception is that 100% carbon fiber layers is automatically the best. That's not always the case, though.

> What other materials are used as a sub-base?
We use a variety of materials and products as structural support layers. Again, there is no "catch all" formula we can use, so this products include, but are not limited to: woven fiberglass, chopped strand mat, Kevlar, carbon-kevlar hybrid fabric, foam core, core matting, etc...

> Is final coating UV protected?
Yes. Unless explicitly stated, all of our products go through a final process involving an automotive grade urethane clear coat. After that process has been completed, we move on to buffing and high levels of polishing.

> Are products currently being used in race events to test durability?
The short answer is yes, though the lion's share of our products are typically purchased for cosmetic use. There's no real need to test door sills or radio bezels for high speed race survivability. However, we recently had a client take his 600+ RWHP Turbocharged 5th Gen Camaro off track at an event. It tore his bumper in a bad way, but our carbon fiber bumper support was completely unharmed.
It did it's job and lived to fight another day. (Or with another bumper.)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, but it's probably worth pointing out that, in the most broad of senses: his Lamborghini, Viper and Lexus IS-F clients have never complained about the quality, durability, or robustness of his products. I don't suspect anyone will ever have reason to start now.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
8th Gear

Customer I just sold some E36 BMW door handles too has posted very pleased w/the product:
Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum - View Single Post - Interest in carbon fiber parts?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
8th Gear

Everyone should read, whether you're in the market for carbon fiber today or not, the "How to buy carbon fiber" post on G3's Facebook page:

G3 Composites, LLC | Facebook

Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

how much to build a range rover classic tailgate? that could sell. the steel ones rust out and are on the heavy side and the aluminum ones from England are expensive

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
how much to build a range rover classic tailgate? that could sell. the steel ones rust out and are on the heavy side and the aluminum ones from England are expensive
For something like that, we'd need at least 5 committed buyers unless you wanted to front the development cost (Which you would be able to get back)

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

hell if i front development cost then i should get a cut of each sale!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
hell if i front development cost then i should get a cut of each sale!
You would get $50 back per sale to folks on this forum up tot he amount you paid for development.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How much for a Discovery 1 hood, and if I fronted the development cost how much would you sell it for? I just want to know to see if people would actually buy. No need to front 10k and you charge 2k each hood and nobody buys. You get my drift?

Quick Reply: Interest in carbon fiber parts?