Appearance & Camping Set Ups Talk about your interior and exterior mods including camping and rooftop camper set ups here.

Lowering 03 disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008 | 10:10 AM
|
4wd High
Default Lowering 03 disco

I'm trying to lower my discovery without heating the springs, so don't suggest it, got any idea???

Old 04-13-2008 | 05:14 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Lowering 03 disco

An old school way of lowering any coil sprung vehicle is by cutting a coil off the spring. I have seen many a professional built hot rod that sat too high slammed in the weeds by this method. I am not too sure about this on a 4x4.

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:15 PM
Drifting

be careful of sway bars, SLS, and users from this forum

Old 04-23-2008 | 10:25 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: climbskiroverguy

be careful of sway bars, SLS, and users from this forum
Instead of bashing, why dont you give some insight on how you would lower it all knowing one.

Old 05-21-2008 | 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling

from what I've gathered in my short-short time of owning a rover is...Rovers have a RABID off-road following. Most Rover fanatics do not appreciate someone taking a Rover and undermining the off-road capabilities by dropping it or putting big rims with low profile tires on it.

On the flipside, I can understand that some people like this look...and if you're never going to go offroading, throwing on bigger rims with smaller sidewall tires is going to make the thing handle better on the streets. I can also sympathize to a certain extent when it comes to dropping a Rover down. You don't really need the clearance on the streets and climbing in and out of a Rover would be easier if it was sitting lower.

The bad news here is that I don't see any manufacturers that specialize in dropping vehicles who have kits for the Rovers. In other words, the Rover community has spoken and there is no money for these companies to make drop-kits. This leaves you with a few options if you have your heart set on trying to drop the rover.

-Either do it yourself without outside assistance. OR
-Find a shop that specializes in drops and have them put together a custom package for you.

The second option is really your best bet because if you start screwing with the suspension and you don't know what you are doing, you have a good chance of screwing up your rig...or worse, creating a vehicle that doesn't handle very well at all which increases your risk of crashing and killing someone.

You want to find someone who knows and understands how the suspensions work, why things are triangulated at whatever angles and how they can modify the system and still keep the vehicle driveable and handling well. Expect to pay some hard CASH for this

Old 06-10-2008 | 02:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If I was into this stuff, I would most likely leave the suspension alone cause I feel it is low enough as it is,and get 20-22 inch rims with wide low profile tires.

Old 09-10-2008 | 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling

DON'T DO IT! my friend tried this on his and totally ruined his suspension after 5000 miles. anyways safari inspired disco, on 24's doesn't really make sense to me, id get a RR for that.

Old 12-08-2008 | 07:57 AM
7th Gear

I used to run an offroad driving school on the west coast. The thought was that there are a lot of vehicles out there with owners who buy the Land Rover brand, but have no idea of the capabilities. The truth is here in the US less than 5% of all LR's, Toyota's and alike never see any dirt. The word offroading means splashing through a few puddles on the way to the mall.

This little known fact is a very sad one. I have owned LR products since 1965 and my newest one is a RR 95. It has had it's air removed and no I didn't go down I went up. I have added 5-1/2" with heavy duty coils and dual shocks front and singles rearall with long travel. Although all the elctronic wizardtry is nice for raising and lowering the vehicle it is all costly to fix and even a bigger pain in the *** when it won't go up at all. Thereforemost remove the airshocks.

All my rovers have been used as intended to stroll through the woods on the way to grandma's house or comfortably driving cross country. These vehicles are meant to get you places and to get to those places in comfort. Try it you may be pleasantly surprised that the car you are driving is really a tank with a nice skin. Want to impresssome of your friends take them along for the ride. They will talk about it for weeks.

Cheers,

OldDirt