Appearance & Camping Set Ups Talk about your interior and exterior mods including camping and rooftop camper set ups here.
View Poll Results: Which roof would you choose?
Full White Roof painted
0%
Herculiner black out just as picture
50.00%
VHT epoxy black out just as picture
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Roof Top Black out

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Roof Top Black out

Went ahead and painted the oxidized spots on my roof top to match the Vigg Hood black out decal. I used VHT epoxy spray paint sold at Advanced Auto Parts ~$7.00/can. My budget dictated the cheaper route as opposed to having the whole roof repainted professionally. I taped/prepped the surface and sprayed it.

Time will tell the durability of the epoxy paint as it sits year round in the Florida sun but anything is better than leaving it as is. The rest of the roof top got waxed and will get touched up w/ clear coat paint if needed. I painted the roof top rails and black sun roof trim too. The finish is a matte black and is close to the look of the hood decal. You have to see it on an angle to really see the roof top black out. I can see it from my son's upstairs window.

Pro(s)- Cost/ time/ factory roof look from the sides
Con(s)- Durability (time will tell)

My other option would have been to roll the same area out w/ Heruculier or spray the whole roof. I thought about using white appliance epoxy spray paint. I like the white Defender roof tops or FJ Cruiser roof tops even w/a silver vehicle. The Alpine seating roof top adds a different element to the decision as these other vehicles don't have that step that creates the Disco look. I could not own up to doing the white roof. I was 50-50 on it. I saw one done on Discoweb photo album (Disco 1) but was still not sure I liked it enough.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Roof Top Black out-img_20110314_160612.jpg   Roof Top Black out-239.jpg   Roof Top Black out-237.jpg  

Last edited by Zonk872; 03-15-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: pictures add/delete
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Looks good! I would have done the whole roof but thats just me. im going to have to do this later this year as well so give us an update let us know how the epoxy spray holds up.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

X2. It looks sharp with your rig color and the already blacked out hood and rims. I've got some similar issues popping up with my roof, so I also maybe following suit this summer. Thanks for being the Guinea pig

I like the idea of the white cap on a Disco, and have seen a couple I really like, but I think it only looks good on the darker colors.

IMHO, the white cap would NOT look as good on your truck with the black wheels, blackout hood, etc,....it would really throw off the Chi

Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Follow up

Thanks for the input! You are probably right about a white roof on darker colors. If the roof holds up you may want to consider doing the hood and the roof w/the epoxy paint. It dries nice and you can tell it's an adhesive type paint. I scraped some overspray off the sun roof and pulled it off the razor blade. The nice thing about it maintenance wise is that you can always tape it off and give it another coat if needed. The roof top cost me ~$23.00 and this included (1) roll of blue painters tape/ (2) cans of VHT epoxy spray paint at Advanced Auto parts.

The time it took to prep/ clean/ tape/ cover the perimeter and paint was about 1-2 hours. I did this in the direct Florida sunlight and the temperature was about 78 degrees but the roof felt like 98 degrees. One thing to note- take your time when removing/pulling the blue tape off. The paint did not grab the edge which I feared it might and that was the best news of the day!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zonk872
"....If the roof holds up you may want to consider doing the hood and the roof w/the epoxy paint..."

"....78 degrees but the roof felt like 98 degrees...."
Yeah, thanks for the little write-up, post up if you notice cracking or fading because I'll be seriously considering doing this once it quits raining and warms up here in the Pacific Northwest.

....Man,I miss Florida weather!!!