Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Basic powered sub questions

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic powered sub questions

Very little experience with installing audio so this may be a basic question. How hard would something like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=Speakers
be to install? What would it entail?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Basic powered sub questions

First off, you never said what model of vehicle you are attempting to install into. I will do my best to tell you what I know and what you should consider and you make the decision from there.

From what I see this unit accepts a high-level input, which means it can be driven off of an existing speaker lead (+/-). I'm not sure how the impedence works on these so that is something that I would check into if I were you. If the speakers in your vehicle are wired a certain way, that means they are going to have a certain level of resistance that the receiver (head-unit) expects. If the impedence differs, you can blow up the amplifier within the receiver (head unit).

Basically what you would need to do is either tap-into one of the speaker leads in your vehicle, ideally the subwoofers if your vehicle is equipped with them. Plug the leads into the unit appropriately. The unit will also require power, so you will need to get a length of the appropriate guage wire and an inline fuse. The line will be installed on the positive terminal of the battery. The fuse should be within 12" I believe of the positive terminal. This is a safe-guard in case the wire breaks anywhere and comes in contact with ground it will just pop the fuse.

This "hot" (+) wire will go to the unit whereever you decide to install it.
Somewhere nearby, you will need to access ground, usually by pulling up the rug and hitting any painted surface with a grinder to clean off the paint. An additional piece of cable/wire is screwed into ground and attached to the unit at the (- / negative terminal).

Finally...some of these self-powered subwoofers are capable of automatically detecting when music is being played and they can turn off and on by themselves...if this unit can do that, then all you have to do has already been outlined above. If the unit requires a REMOTE wire...well, then it gets fun.

The remote wire is usually built into after-market stereos to signal an external amplifier to turn on or off when the head-unit is turned on/off. If your rover is equipped with a CD-changer, there is a good chance that there is a remote wire on that in which you can tap into. Alternatively, if you find the fuse block for the radio, you can tap off of the fuse block for the remote wire.

HTH.