Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

volume on new deck starts loud

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default volume on new deck starts loud

I installed a new deck last night and unit is loud from volume 1 and up.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by me 2
I installed a new deck last night and unit is loud from volume 1 and up.
Its really loud because you likely used the wrong harness to tie into the factory system. There are 2 different harnesses to use, using the wrong harness with a high powered head unit puts way too mu input signal into the factory amplifiers. You should have used a harness that looks like this one...

LAND ROVER Radio Wire Harness w Amp Premium Stereo LR-A | eBay

Im assuming you didn't use the harness above.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

No, mine didnt have the rca looking jacks. I dont remember seeing a place for those.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by me 2
No, mine didnt have the rca looking jacks. I dont remember seeing a place for those.
After reading both your posts about not much bass and the speakers being very loud I'll summarize whats going on for you in one easy answer...

Most factory amplifiers have a sort of built in fail safe, you literally can not blow up the factory speakers when using the factory head unit and factory amplifiers. The only way you can damage the factory speakers when connected to all the factory stuff is 1. Time - they get old and the paper wears thin 2. you accidentally kick the speaker through the grill and physically damage the speaker yourself.

If you replaced your factory head unit with a high power (80 watts X4) aftermarket head unit and you installed the aftermarket radio using a regular harness then your taking a high power (80watts x4) signal and feeding that high power signal into an amplifier designed to take less than 15% of that 80watt signal strength at full power. This is why you have blaring sound at low volume on your aftermarket radio volume control.

RCA's are low level outputs designed to plug into amplifiers and optimize the the input to the amplifier in order to optimize the output of the amplifier, in essence allowing the factory amplifier to work within it's fail safe design.

Subwoofers are the easiest speaker in a vehicle to blow, everyone wants more bass. I believe whats happening in your case is that the factory subwoofer amplifier is receiving a high level of input and reaching its "safe mode" point long before the door speakers and tweeters, which is why the speakers are blaring and your subwoofers are not.

The only way to remedy this would be order the harness I showed you with the 4 RCA inputs, but you must have a aftermarket head unit with 4 RCA outputs to effectively make it work correctly. The alternative is use Y-Adapters on your after market head unit if your head unit only has one pair of rca outputs.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Thanks again for the help. I decided to go ahead and bypass the amp but was wondering if you might have a diagram of the wires?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Bypassed amp and sounds great, but thanks for the help.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question You seem to know a lot about sterios. Can you help me?

Originally Posted by TATZOO
After reading both your posts about not much bass and the speakers being very loud I'll summarize whats going on for you in one easy answer...

Most factory amplifiers have a sort of built in fail safe, you literally can not blow up the factory speakers when using the factory head unit and factory amplifiers. The only way you can damage the factory speakers when connected to all the factory stuff is 1. Time - they get old and the paper wears thin 2. you accidentally kick the speaker through the grill and physically damage the speaker yourself.

If you replaced your factory head unit with a high power (80 watts X4) aftermarket head unit and you installed the aftermarket radio using a regular harness then your taking a high power (80watts x4) signal and feeding that high power signal into an amplifier designed to take less than 15% of that 80watt signal strength at full power. This is why you have blaring sound at low volume on your aftermarket radio volume control.

RCA's are low level outputs designed to plug into amplifiers and optimize the the input to the amplifier in order to optimize the output of the amplifier, in essence allowing the factory amplifier to work within it's fail safe design.

Subwoofers are the easiest speaker in a vehicle to blow, everyone wants more bass. I believe whats happening in your case is that the factory subwoofer amplifier is receiving a high level of input and reaching its "safe mode" point long before the door speakers and tweeters, which is why the speakers are blaring and your subwoofers are not.

The only way to remedy this would be order the harness I showed you with the 4 RCA inputs, but you must have a aftermarket head unit with 4 RCA outputs to effectively make it work correctly. The alternative is use Y-Adapters on your after market head unit if your head unit only has one pair of rca outputs.
I have a 2008 LR3. The stock radio volume goes up and down at will. I have had several people try to fix it. What I need is a good after market radio that will fit good and work good. Any thoughts?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 LR3. Radio is broken. I want a decent after market radio that works and fits good. Any thoughts?