Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

What Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Amp?

I am going to have 2 JL Audio 10" subs next week and I am tryin to figure out what kind of amp I should get. I took a look on ebay but there are just so many different terms and Im not familiar with audio stuff. Any help?

Justin

Old 05-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Amp?

What impedance are the subs ???
Wattage rating of the subs ???

Old 05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Overlanding

Wow I dont know. This is the first type of audio modification I have evr done to a vehicle s I dont really know anything about it.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Mudding

Are the subs new ??? if so there should be info in/on the box ...
If used what model # are they ???

Old 05-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Overlanding

Subs are used. I will get a model number up later on tonight.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Overlanding

I just got the subsbut they are in a custom enclosed box. There is no way to get into the box and look at the model number of the subs without taking off the carpet and destroying the box. All I know is that they are 2 10" JL subs. I am not trying to build the best system, I just want to know generally what kind of amp will work with two 10" subs. I am looking to spend around $200. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling

JL subs are very flexible, pretty much any amp you get for $200 will work, just be careful of off brands. If you know much about electronics you may want to take a couple amps apart:

Cheap amps will use DC current to make as much power as they can - and you can't get much from 12VDC
Better amps will convert your DC current to AC, step up the voltage, and then convert back to DC to power the amp - that's how you get good power from an amp.

There's another test you can do with a circular saw and a piece of wood, but I doubt anyone will let you use their amp like that.

I'd recommed an amp with a separate volume control you can run to the dash - that way you can adjust your bass from the driver's seat. Not all the amps that will work with the volume control come with it, you may have to order separately.

Check out www.vwvortex.com and go to the stereo section, there used to be some very knowledgeable people there who kept up with which amps are high quality - hopefully they're still there.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Overlanding

Illl take a look at that thanks! I think Im just going to have to go into like best buy and talk to somebody and see if they can point me to an amp. How do I get the amp box to stay down. I am thinking about putting it in the back of my 03 discovery, is that the best place? How do I keep it from moving around?

Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Mudding

I've never seen a box you can't get the subs out to look at .... Thats completely silly , how would you replace them if they blow ...
You need to know what impedance the subs are ....As well as how they are wired ,and the specifications of the sub to get the proper amp power output and stability ...
Saying the subs are flexible is not the right way to do it ... They could be entry level subs that a 400 watt amp can blow ... On the flip side they could be a competition series that the 400 won't power properly ...

Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Overlanding

Well all I know is that is how the box is. Its all carpeted witha little plexi glass window to see the subs. It has two verticle holes on each side to let the vibration out I guess. The origional own said these subs were $400 each brand new.

Quick Reply: What Amp?