Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,185 Likes on 849 Posts
Default Being the thrifty minimalist I am...

Translation...cheapskate.

I'd taken the torsion bars off the other day and they looked to good to throw in the scrap-guy's trailer at work...so I decided to give them another chance at life...and turn them into a brush guard.

Going to add a couple uprights on each end for brush cables.

Can't decide if I want to add mesh in the middle protion of the guard...or not? Since getting at the hood release is hard enough now...and I'd like to mount a high-lift jack to the upper tube eventually...which would make it harder yet.

Please don't look too closely at the welds either, if my eyesight gets any worse...they'll have to get a welder at work with adjustments readable in braille.

Anyhow, I'll get it figured out by tomorrow and move forward...right or wrong. Could always modify the hood latch (extension).

Also, made it so I could bolt it on...makes changing a headlight much easier. And I'll be adding two mounting tabs on the lower center tube (made from the - cut in half - torsion bar mounting brackets) for lights.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 09-27-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Default The dangers of thinking out loud...especially on the web...lol.

Another crazy idea that keeps crossing my mind...is to use this area (where A/C compressoor use to be) as a spot for a modified air cleaner housing. Then I could add another battery in old air filter housing location.

Yes, not the best scenario...drawing warm air from the engine compartment...so I'd probably run a flex tube to an outside location.

Another draw back would be weight, pushing the envelope now, with winch (steel cable), bumper/brushguard and eventually adding some lights. So, the weight of a battery would definitely test the suspension. May just scrap the whole idea and put battery in footwell area behind drivers seat.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud...any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Brian.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I put two batteries where the jack storage was;

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 02:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Nice looking set-up^^^^

Thank you, but I've already swapped out the original battery for this 1140 CCA beast...that turns the engine over like it has no compression...lol. The original battery had 680 CCA, so I nearly double the amount of CCA without doing much change-over.

And added my winch control box where the jack use to be.

So, I'm somewhat committed to another location. Which, if I go with the old air filter housing route...I'll be stuck using the original sized battery (680 CCA). Because, may have to utilize the air intake tube coming off the fender. But if I go remote location behind drivers seat...then that opens up the option of another 1140 CCA beast.

Anyhow, plenty of time for figuring this out. Thank you, for the input.

Brian.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Teach a man to weld... Dude I'm impressed, the brush guard looks great considering your investment!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, just wish I could see/weld like I use to. Now, it's embarrassing. Folks at work would always bring me stuff to weld and I did a good job ("no brag, just fact"...okay...I stole that from Will Sonnett...lol)...but now...I send them down the road empty handed. Although, laid down a beautiful weld the other day...just to bad...it wasn't where it would actually connect the two pieces of steel.

Anyhow...back to my low-budget build. Brush guard on, bit shinny...but it will fade some...since it is spray canned. Kind of reminds me of the D.N.R (Department of Natural Resources) fire/rescue brush guards on their vehicles.

Time to start scrounging around for some rear bumper steel.

Side note...if we don't get some rain soon...I can trade these M/T tires in for some sand tires.
Brian.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Camel Trophy

And if you are younger than me...you're probably saying..."Will who?"...lol.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:26 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Curious as to why you would need 2 batteries?
Especially with a stock alternator.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Mostly for winching. They can pull a lot of amps and I prefer to have the batteries supply the load instead of over taxing the alternator to keep only one charged. Also for more accessory use without worry if you run down the primary battery. I plan on adding an isolation kit so you only use one battery at a time until you need the other one, but both get charged while running the engine. This is how most boats and RV's are set up. A solar panel and inverter would also be nice, but time and budget...

Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Camel Trophy

Yes, mostly for winching and primitive camping back-up.

Brian.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build