Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Black Betty, the adventure begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Winching
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Black Betty, the adventure begins!

i owned a rover for a short period of time back in 2011, had alot of work come up and not enough time for the rover, and well it leaked oil like it was free.

Then BB came to my life mostly as a joke, i saw the vehicle for sale- PO wanted 600- kiddingly i said three fiddy (south park reference) he agreed and then i was the proud owner of another d2.

all the tires were low, i had to put in a new battery as the old one wasnt taking a charge- the rear sun roof was MIA and the front DS was gone. Did i add it didnt stop either?

So i get it to my buddies house to start working on it, known issues:
No front drive shaft
no rear sunroof
interior smelled like cigarettes and mold
cooling issues maybe a blown HG
key was broken in two- inside the ignition
headliner was trashed
no low range(bad tcase?)

I ordered a few parts and work started

so after realizing that the PO had little to no mechanical knowledge i ended up buying a few more parts
clutch fan/water pump/inline tstat/cdl kit/new hoses- found the "blown head gasket" to be the passenger side manifold is disconnected from the y pipe.

I bought BB March 5 and it was back at my place on her own power by April 9

had to fix a brake issue and some other small things - still i had no low range as i thought it was a bad tcase from all the post readings, i installed the 96 CDL kit yet still i had no low rang and i re-assembled everything as to how i had found it.

Took it hunting

Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Winching

Had a trip to SCABB to get ready for so more maintenance!
new fluids all around just because and i also wanted a roof rack, yet i hadnt found one cheap enough to justify it but i found something that would work so i built my own

proud of my work here- didnt know if it was going to hold or not haha

We head to padre to meet with Jared9220 and a co worker and friends would follow later.

The beach wasnt what we expected but we did get to name a turtle SCABB and got to see it lay eggs and such, they grow up and leave so fast.

The rover caravan

upgrades before the trip were a rear ladder and a power wagon winch/ fog lights

had a 1k mile trip without too many issues

Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 AM
Winching

Finally i found what i was looking for, and SD roof rack a snorkel and heated seat switches!

After talking to Dusty1 about the upgrades on his rover for a while, i got a lift! 3 inches worth actually.... lol
Thanks to Dusty1 BB was sitting quite abit better.

went out to play and got it stuck first try

i blame this one on an abs cable coming loose and bringing back the three amigos

The trio

I enjoyed the rover as it was for a while but then i went with Dusty1 to Hot springs ORV and i saw what true tracs front and rear could do- His rover was un-stoppable. We had a blast and i learned alot about night recovery and best of all we made it back safe after a crazy day/night trying to get back home.

I found a front true trac cheap and after seeing what Dusty1's rig could do i had to have some! so i got the front then shopped around and bought the rear as well then it was install time.

shortly after it was time for more wheeling and Hidden falls came around- with some trail damage due to a slight change in trail raitings- also Jared and metal marine were there!

Limped the rover home and then got it ready again, this time for bridgeport and again with some slight trail damage but i was unstoppable!

three wheeling!

Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Winching

So whats next now? Rear metal bumper From Dusty1 at some point- zip ties holding me up for now haha

Either attempt the rear u joint swap or give up and have some else have at it, maybe make some armor for the rover (though i dig the battle scars) and work on my overlanding part placement within the rover. Hoping to do some trails that ive seen a few fellow members do and maybe some new ones.

Thats BB for now!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Very nice!!!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

nice, indeed. I want a tree fiddy rover
I have a little job out in McKinney. I will throw that thing in my pick up and swing by, when I head out there.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dusty1
nice, indeed. I want a tree fiddy rover
I have a little job out in McKinney. I will throw that thing in my pick up and swing by, when I head out there.
Sweet!

also forgot to add that i fixed low range before the hidden falls trip, like two nights before. i found that the PO had installed the selector lever wrong but since i put everything back as i had taken it off... well that was my fault.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Gotta love the cheap Disco's. Is that a bortof fab front bumper?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Gotta love the cheap Disco's. Is that a bortof fab front bumper?
yessir, came with it when i got it. one of the lucky few i guess.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I had one that he actually shipped as well, to bad it didn't fit.

Quick Reply: Black Betty, the adventure begins!