Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 04:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Jeez I feel so dumb. Driving it won’t go above 190. Idling it will get to 197 and then once even a couple RPMs are added it is back to the 180s. It’s almost TOO cool.

My reward? P0174. Looks like O2 sensors all around are inbound. I also got the code for the relay on the SAI, so need to do that as well. The last code is P0501, which might be a bit sticky, but I’ve got some ideas.

Next steps will be to replace the rear bags and verify the solenoids and lines are in good shape. After that will be verifying the brakes and changing a few more fluids.

The next big one will be suspension and tires as the shocks are wasted and the tires are useless. Just a 2” and 265/65 tires, but enough to get it above station wagon height.

The next big investment for longevity will be another Nanocom. Then I’ll bleed the brakes.

The final initial steps will be a Voyager rack and probably Terra Firma rock sliders. All this in addition to a number of little things. I’m obviously back to being excited.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:52 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Hey, at least you discovered your error before you ripped into a head gasket job. That's good, right?!

P0501 suggests a VSS issue.

I am almost sure you have the manuals, but if you don't, they are in the google drive in my signature.

The following users liked this post:
longtallsally (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 06:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I’m happy I got it, but still feel a little silly. I’ve got every manual and even archived some threads here and there for reference. I’m a total geek on manuals it seems.

I got P0171 and P0174 I think. Did sea foam in the intake and cleaned the MAF and those didn’t come back. I’ve put about 100 miles on it and am very happy.

I did some initial research on the P0501 and I’m not sure. I think it has to do with the T case getting swapped and something got goofed up there. According to the Rave it is a discrepancy of what is coming in from the WSSs and the output shaft from the transmission. I’ve got a busy few weeks but I’ll tear into it sooner or later.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah Disco life. Well, at least life with an older vehicle that takes time to get sorted out.

Today was a big day in that it was the first time I drove it to work. I won’t be driving it to work regularly until next winter, but obviously need to shake it down here and there. It did great and the additional power of the 4.6 is nice. I drive like a grandma in the Disco, but it gets up to speed just fine.

But of course there are issues. So although I have the cooling system under control, I need to bleed it better (AGAIN) as the heater doesn’t work. I’ve got the waterfall action in the cab and the temp will spike here and there when idling, so I know I have some bubbles.

Also- and more importantly- I’ve got a speed sensitive clicking up front that kinda turns into a vibration at higher speeds. I’m reasonably confident it’s a CV, but might be the front diff, but I’m more inclined to think the CV. The front driveshaft has been replaced and has serviceable U joints and is solid, so that’s not it.

The only part that sucks is winter came back (17F this morning) so it’s going to be a bit before I can tear back into things.

So the road to recovery for this D2 still has a ways to go, but I’m excited to keep moving forward in fixing stuff.

WaltNYC (04-14-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I had a few minutes today and monkeyed around with the spare tire deciding to do the “flip” in anticipation of the slightly larger tires I’ll be putting on. Well you of course have to take the entire tailgate apart in order to get to the nuts for the carrier. This was very obviously the first time anyone had ever been in there and I got lucky and only broke 2 clips.

Anyway, the subs looked like this. I thought the bass was a little lacking. Does anyone have any good suggestions for replacement subs? I don’t really want to modify anything and it’s going to be a while before I yank the OEM head unit, so plug and play would be nice. I found an old thread here about a direct replacement JL Audio set, but those look discontinued. Also, is the crossover in the sub enclosure, or is it done at the amp?

Old 04-20-2022, 09:56 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Yes....
Amazon Amazon

They will drop right in. The crossover should be in the front of the truck. Not 100% on that.

In the D1 there is a tiny amp inside the subwoofer enclosure. I replaced that with a more robust mono amplifier and it sounds great. Not sure if that is an option on a D2.

longtallsally (04-20-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

This one is somewhat interesting and indicative of why I have so much fun with the platform. My Solar Sensor is kinda buggered and I was planning on replacing it when I do the dash. In my typical ridiculous geek fashion, I decided to read about the AC system a bit. I didn’t even know about the self diagnostics and went ahead and read the codes. Strangely with the sensor looking like this I got no codes (I was expecting 21 and/or 22).

But just more fun stuff to play with.

I’m also looking forward to diagnosing the parking sensor system. The Disco is now the only vehicle in the fleet with no backup camera, which isn’t a big deal, but since I like toys, and the system is ridiculously easy to diagnose, that will be on the low hanging fruit list. I suspect a sensor or so and/or the beeper is either disconnected or wasted (seems somewhat common).

Old 04-22-2022, 09:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

Look in the D2 what have you done today a week or two ago and I installed a review mirror with front and rear cameras that is pretty slick. Wife really enjoys it. I need to move where I mounted the review camera however...

Old 04-24-2022, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by whowa004
Look in the D2 what have you done today a week or two ago and I installed a review mirror with front and rear cameras that is pretty slick. Wife really enjoys it. I need to move where I mounted the review camera however...
I’ve seen some of those solutions and think they are pretty slick. However, one of my quirks is how much I like the interior of the Disco out of the box. Also, I use the Homelink quite a bit.

I dunno, maybe after I fix the parking sensor it will be fine. It’s all first world problems…

Old 05-06-2022, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I got some good news and some bad news. Good news is that the Nanocom came!

The bad news is the replacement key fob I think was one of the cheapo Chinese ones that doesn’t work. I can’t get any of the codes to take after reading directly from the chip, and one that was on the cover.

The circuit board looks different as well, so I think I just need to find and order a new transponder unless anyone has any better ideas.

And I just looked at Atlantic British…. $300 for a new key!!!!!! Sheesh!!!!!!! Any better sources?

Last edited by longtallsally; 05-06-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio