Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The discovering Discos aren’t junk resto DD buildo threado dealio

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 04:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

I’ve not posted in a while as life is psycho busy as always (and the world seems to like to act like idiots even more now that we are past the social engineering exercise), but rest assured, my D2 addiction is very much still alive and well, and I pop in from time to time and offer some input and live vicariously through all you guys.

I thought I might post some pics from a show a little while back that we went to at the Mercedes museum that had some cool G Wagens and such. Oddly, I’ve not seen too many Defenders, but they are around from time to time. The boss saw a couple parked next to each other on one of the installations this week and I’ve shopped a bit for them and we might actually do that before a 911 (again, if we can swing it). I’ve shopped on Td5 D2s a bit and they are all pretty horribly clapped out, poorly optioned or absolutely absurd prices. The boss wants a Defender more, so we might do that instead as the prices are way lower, and significantly more to choose from.

Anyway, some G Wagen content…

I think this is one- or a replica of- the Dakar racers.

The long winter is starting to set in, but at least the Christmas markets are starting up soon. I ordered winter wheels for the S4 and will have winter tires mounted soon, which is odd as I’ve never really driven it in the winter what with having the Jeep or Disco for winter duty.

Life here is as annoying as ever, but there are positives and we’re having fun. We’ve not done too many trips thus far other than to Milan for fashion week for Princess Fussy Pants (she’s getting into runway modeling) and down to the Disney castle and of course the myriad of German festivals, but hopefully as we get more settled we’ll be able to get out more.

The following 3 users liked this post by longtallsally:
The Deputy (04-28-2024), whowa004 (11-13-2023), YETIX (02-20-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 01:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

No Disco content specifically, but I’m just getting excited to get back to the States for a couple weeks to get the house ready for some new renters. I’m excited, but nervous about the state of the Alveston. We all know DIscos don’t like to sit for long periods of time, so fingers crossed it will remember the attention it got prior to my departure and run. Assuming it works OK, I’ll drive it most of the time back home, otherwise I’ll have to rely on the Jeep. It will of course have to be a workhorse as I’ll be putting a bunch of stuff in storage.

We’ve been enjoying Europe as much as we can, but we all miss home a good bit. There are challenges as there are anywhere, so we’ve adopted the saying, “it’s not better or worse, just different”.

I’ll at least put a scoshe of English content from a trip to London a while back.

The following 5 users liked this post by longtallsally:
mtsuji90 (05-22-2024), The Deputy (06-03-2024), WaltNYC (05-20-2024), whowa004 (05-20-2024), YETIX (05-19-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK, I made it back to the States! My goodness it is good to be home. It’s been raining for 3 months straight in Germany and I needed some sun and pretty sights. This morning did not disappoint as I enjoyed some ‘Merican coffee on the deck. I didn’t realize how much I missed this place.

OK, on to the first Disco content in a year! Tucked away and not too bad all things considered.

It’s utterly filthy on the outside, but I think not too bad. Under the hood is clean as a whistle, so that’s good. I’ll try to get it fired probably on Wednesday.

The only bad part was that I left a bottle of Stabil in there and it leaked really bad. It smells like a bottle of Def in the interior and I was terrified at first that an animal got in there but poked around with a flashlight and saw the culprit. My only concern is it made it through the floor mat and into the carpet. How caustic is that stuff? I kinda don’t know what to do in order to mitigate.

Otherwise, the tires are flat and you can see the bags dumped (both to be expected based on the winters)

I’ll definitely report back if I get it rolling. I’ll take some time and do a good wash and we’ll go from there.

The Deputy (06-03-2024), whowa004 (06-04-2024), YETIX (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Like the "anti-roof-blow-away-straps". Pretty good thinking though.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
longtallsally (06-03-2024), YETIX (06-04-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

She lives!!!!!

Fired up immediately! Bags came right up and I aired up the tires and all is well. And would you believe no leaks?!?!?!?!?!

That’s the good news. In looking for an air gauge…. Yep, found a nest in the glove box. The smell wasn’t the Stabil, it is the worst. I’ve pulled the glove box out and will probably trash it.

I did a quick scrub to the carpet with some spot shot type stuff, did an HVAC cleaner deal through the intake, and then one of those bombs inside. So I think I got the smell. ALL of the vent foam came flying out as I cycled everything in the system. Meh, the dash is getting replaced anyway, so not too worried about it.

So the good news is I’m not going to have to start over on it, which I was quite concerned with. There is some dirt rolling around in the headliner too, but that is coming out as well since the sunroof was leaking prior to leaving.

All in all, it is a good Rover day. All the work I did to get it right apparently paid off. The friggin radio even remembered my phone. So I’ll give it some exercise for the next few days and THIS time I’ll do a good job with the moth ***** (I stupidly left them in the box with just the box open- the Jeep reeks of them, but zero issues with critters in it). I’m still amazed the battery is holding a charge as he never disconnected it like I asked…. Oh well. Again, not a bad thing.

The Deputy (06-05-2024), whowa004 (06-05-2024), YETIX (06-06-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Disco cannot be even remotely considered dead. I’ve been driving the Disco as much as the Jeep as I run errands and do trips to the storage unit.

On tow pig duty:

I did a couple more cleanings of the HVAC and left the glove box out and all is well. The temp hit 201 once when I was pulling the trailer uphill to the house (7400 feet) and was bull ******* it, but otherwise, it won’t even get to 190 driving around and I’ve been running both AC units full tilt and they are both as cold as ever. The bags are holding and even the battery is holding a charge. I am just amazed.

So I rewarded her with a good bath.

And now in the garage to air out. I’ve only got a few more days home, but it should be all set to put back in the barn.

THIS time I’ll make sure to get the moth ***** correct. And I DO mean it THIS TIME. (name that movie). It will be a bummer to have the moth ***** smell for a bit for the next outing, but it will beat having critters. As I don’t have the stress of the kids and such, I should be able to do it a bit more correctly this time.

The following 2 users liked this post by longtallsally:
whowa004 (06-09-2024), YETIX (06-09-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 11:29 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love seeing the updates. Lemme guess, ****** was the movie quote? Perhaps Bricktop?

The following users liked this post:
longtallsally (06-09-2024)