Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Discovery 2 in the Spirit of Camel Trophy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You both make great points, and I do appreciate learning more about the CT events and vehicles in general. I did not know about the worm gear winches or that there was so much weight just in steel tubing. I fully understand that it was mostly a marketing exercise. I just really enjoy the spirit and energy that is shown in all the photos and videos. I have seen all the countless CT replicas, and definitely don't want to be another half-assed "tribute" vehicle that misses the mark. It's really just the idea that you don't need a 4" lift and 37" tires to have fun and go places.

These forums are a great place to learn and share info and that's ultimately why I'm here. I'll be updating this thread with photos of future mods and adventures as well.

Here's how I eliminated the hood glare from the roof lights. I used these semi truck headlight visors upside down, and they do a perfect job of blocking the light from spilling onto the dash and hood.

Name:  0r1XnYR.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  160.1 KB

Last edited by mojocoggo; 11-08-2018 at 02:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mojocoggo:
The Deputy (11-09-2018), wjsj69 (11-11-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanb
I just wrote that I wouldn't envy a CT vehicle because there are a lot of advantages to be had over what they ran in CT. See CT for what it really was and not through some kind of irrational nostalgia or Land Rover fan-boy lens. It can be done much better, and so CT is not an ideal to aspire to.

I didn't make a case against cages, I just mentioned the weight they add and that a lot of it is up high. I think one has to look at the trade-off's with a cage and most importantly, consider that safety isn't a check-box. I am pro-safety and pro-cage. But you can't just make yourself safe by checking the "cage" box. You really have to consider your risks. A cage might not be as important as a seat, harness, window net, and helmet. You might also need to pull the glass. The idea that you're being safer just by adding a cage is false. But generally speaking, cages are an important *part* of safety systems.

Worm gear winches are awesome -- probably the best design out there for a high duty-cycle application -- but 125 pound 10,000lb rated winches aren't a good fit on the front bumper of a lightweight recreational 4x4. You will notice that the Superwinch Husky winch does not fit on any aftermarket bumper for the Land Rover Discovery. The winch will not fit between the frame rails. It has to be mounted in-front of and above the frame rails, which gives a poor result for approach angle and ruins the car's balance and handling. Most recreational offroading is better served using ******-blocks with a lightweight planetary gear winch that is not rated higher than the GVWR. The Husky is not even used in competitive winching events because it is also extremely slow. It's really a great tool for an altogether different job.

My point about the lights is that they did not use the kind of workspace illumination lights they actually needed. Look at them. They are all forward-facing, narrow-beam, rally lights from Hella. All of them. It was sheer stupidity just to make eye-candy for marketing images.
On these clarified points I agree with you.

Other than the minor note that the lights were a mix of pencil and flood beams, not all pencil beam. They really are useful in the events for the frequent damages to headlamps as a substitute, and to colocate cars in front and behind. Obviously yes they look good for the cameras with 6 billon lights on the cars

The following users liked this post:
mojocoggo (11-08-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,163 Likes on 839 Posts

Great looking rover. Keep up the great work.

Wow, that soil looks very unstable. Sand based soils can be very risky to travel in this fashion. Glad you made it out safe and sound.

Looking forward to following along.

Brian.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Great looking rover. Keep up the great work.

Wow, that soil looks very unstable. Sand based soils can be very risky to travel in this fashion. Glad you made it out safe and sound.

Brian.
That's all part of the fun! Here's a video showing it it went down:

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (11-15-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Very cool and it’s always fun to see enthusiasm like this. Frankly the CT is what made me want a Disco- I was just scared of them by reputation for many years. I couldn’t be happier with mine and now being on my second, totally appreciate them.

I’ve followed similar design queues as seem to be the. Lam in how to make a Disco have the “look” This is in “expedition” mode.

[IMG]https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Land...MG_3569-X2.jpg

[IMG]https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...MG_3586-X2.jpg

I guess image hosting hasn’t been fixed yet...

Old 11-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,163 Likes on 839 Posts

Here ya go...longtallsally.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I love camel trophy. As a teenager a couldn’t wait till my 4x4 magazine showed up with the camel trophy articles. When I was younger I couldn’t afford a Land Rover so I started my off-roading with broncos and jeeps. I’m glad I finally have a rover. 😍
build away and enjoy your truck how you want!

Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I too took the plunge after seeing CT footage. That's the kind of marketing I can get behind! Not some stupid commercial about driving up steps to nowhere.. Imagine the $ LR spent on all those years of CT. They really put everything into it and made a name for themselves worldwide and it still resonates today. Although, It encourages sales of vintage trucks over new ones since there's no way current products could handle that kind of abuse. It would be nice if LR was smart enough to have something like the Defender as a link to their heritage. Like Jeep does with the Wrangler, but alas; we all know how the story ends; an overpriced upscale utility vehicle whose technology will be wasted on the affluent, as status-symbols like the Merc-G. Maybe they can sponsor a "shopping trophy" with the new Defender! Women in riding boots and blazers, men in Bombers and Ray bans, LBGTQABCD in.. whatever.. traveling from mall to mall, judged by how much they spend and how snobby they look while doing it. I think I'm on to something here..

Last edited by wjsj69; 11-11-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

There’s lots of camel trophy footage for free on utube. Oldies but goodies

Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 781 Posts

Nice work, getting past the washout, but get an axe that watching the fellow use that hatchet was a bit painful.

And build what you want, it is your truck. Just spend money on maintenance and reliability before the rest of the stuff. Having a basic looking truck you can take out on a 2 or 3 day trip with confidence, trumps looks every time.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 in the Spirit of Camel Trophy