Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

JFINTEXAS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the slimline washer fluid reservoir that will go in to replace the stock.

This should get me closer to lining up with the lower profile of the Tactical Rovers bumper on the way. Uses the OEM filler and washer pumps and has a 3 liter capacity.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jfintexas
Okay, progress continues to be made. When installing the snorkel, I noticed the below hose was worn. Anyone know if I can source it separate from a complete air box assembly and what it's called (even part number if you're Super Land Rover person). :-) Thanks!

Contact the individuals in my signature. If Rovers North doesn't have it (and they didn't cuz I looked) then it's almost unobtainium as a new part unless you want to go over the pond. Personally I think a wrecking yard would be my first check unfortunately it's different enough to be listed as 03/04 part only so don't snag an earlier models.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Contact the individuals in my signature. If Rovers North doesn't have it (and they didn't cuz I looked) then it's almost unobtainium as a new part unless you want to go over the pond. Personally I think a wrecking yard would be my first check unfortunately it's different enough to be listed as 03/04 part only so don't snag an earlier models.
Thanks. Will do as my internet search is coming up empty as well. While I continue to look, I may go with the Gorilla Tape fix :-) That seems to be a popular remediation.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Yep, a Rover without gorilla tape somewhere is not a well cared for Rover...... that will help even out the spring handing too.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that is a fancy washer bottle!!

Love your progress - I also used Gorilla tape on my flexible airbox hose

Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Trucks looking great, glad you are getting some of the installation issues straighten out. It would have been interesting to have run your rig across a truck stop scale, for a before and after weight...and a take mpg verification before hand.

Read somewhere once, that for every 75 pounds added....inside an average vehicle...you loses about 2 tenths mpg.

Not that any of it would have changed anything you did, it would be just fun to find out.

Also, my wife is going to cry once I tell her you're covering up all of that "pretty wood grain" interior. Hope you can live with yourself...knowing you made a woman cry...lol.

Again, truck looks great. Thanks, for taking us along with the build.

Brian.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Trucks looking great, glad you are getting some of the installation issues straighten out. It would have been interesting to have run your rig across a truck stop scale, for a before and after weight...and a take mpg verification before hand.

Read somewhere once, that for every 75 pounds added....inside an average vehicle...you loses about 2 tenths mpg.

Not that any of it would have changed anything you did, it would be just fun to find out.

Also, my wife is going to cry once I tell her you're covering up all of that "pretty wood grain" interior. Hope you can live with yourself...knowing you made a woman cry...lol.

Again, truck looks great. Thanks, for taking us along with the build.

Brian.
Thanks guys for all the advise. Good stuff.

Brian, I agree. In hindsight, definitely would have been interesting (and scary) to weigh before and after, although I don't think I have purchased the heaviest of equipment options (ex: the tactical rover lower profile front bumper over the full ARB option).

It might make your wife feel better to know that the PO used a woodgrain overlay (perhaps overindulgently) :-) If this were to become a city only Disco, I would leave it that way. Something about a fancy wood grain on an off-road rig has me wanting to change it.

A couple more weeks (awaiting front bumper to arrive, winch is ready to go on, and Power steering box replacement). I may have them go ahead and do the dual battery setup as well but on the fence about that. But --- I do have to get in there and do some of this myself at some point.

I do have some light projects to focus on after I get her back. Rear ladder and roof rack installation, replace two rear upper taillights and run trailer wiring while I'm in there. Rear Taillight guards both upper and lower. The interior trim. Take on the headliner (it's pinned up). Freshen up the leather (it's worn from the POs dog). On-board air compressor. Polish the headlights. As I type this, it feels like I haven't even gotten started.

Also, will likely do something with the baked clear coat on the roof before I put on the roof rack. I have a buddy who has a wrap business so will talk to him about what we might do. I would like to lighten up that exterior black to create a little contrast with all the other black stuff.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

How much was the washer bottle? Looks sweet!!!

Old 01-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
How much was the washer bottle? Looks sweet!!!
Retail is $150 US but they discounted it (I think to $125) when I purchased it. Here't the link. Shipping was quick (especially coming from UK). If you have an early year D2, there is a lightly different model, although I could not tell the difference between 1999-2002 vs. 2003+.

https://www.devon4x4.com/d44-discove...2002-2006.html

Old 01-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

The only difference I know of on a D2 would be with or without headlight squirters. The jugs are different due to one having an extra place for a washer pump. The squirters were a nice british touch, but it's something I can live without lol.

Quick Reply: JFINTEXAS Build Thread