Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Joes Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Picked up some kalahari wheels. Pics later!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Refurbishing. Duplicolor graphite with clear coat

Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Old 10-06-2016, 06:22 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Nicely done!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Nicely done!
Thanks! Just switched transfer cases and put the linkage from a d1. CDL!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe!
Thanks! Just switched transfer cases and put the linkage from a d1. CDL!
There you go.
Are you managing your operating temp with an aftermarket gauge? Coolant temps need to be under 200f and tropical punch colored antifreeze replaced with the proven green stuff or your next mod will be headgasket rework or worse. 180 deg is what you want to shoot for. You will also notice that your truck doesn't have an engine oil cooler so def look into getting one of those with the 2 pipes from somewhere as an assembly, couple of new O-rings and it is a simple "drop-in" addition. The 4.6 in the '03/04 needs every bit of TLC you can possibly provide. You have a great setup at this point so next thing is to make the engine reliable as mechanically possible without having to rebuild the block with flanged cylinder sleeve liners, which usually comes after it is wrecked from high water temps and DexCool. After that I would be replacing the weak open diff carriers with one of the locking or LSD-type solid carrier with upgraded shafts and CVs from Ashcroft. The truck is completely bullet-proof at this point minus the engine block which should be OK if proper attention is given. Assuming the oil pump gears were replaced when you had the front cover off...

Last edited by chubbs878; 10-08-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by chubbs878
There you go.
Are you managing your operating temp with an aftermarket gauge? Coolant temps need to be under 200f and tropical punch colored antifreeze replaced with the proven green stuff or your next mod will be headgasket rework or worse. 180 deg is what you want to shoot for. You will also notice that your truck doesn't have an engine oil cooler so def look into getting one of those with the 2 pipes from somewhere as an assembly, couple of new O-rings and it is a simple "drop-in" addition. The 4.6 in the '03/04 needs every bit of TLC you can possibly provide. You have a great setup at this point so next thing is to make the engine reliable as mechanically possible without having to rebuild the block with flanged cylinder sleeve liners, which usually comes after it is wrecked from high water temps and DexCool. After that I would be replacing the weak open diff carriers with one of the locking or LSD-type solid carrier with upgraded shafts and CVs from Ashcroft. The truck is completely bullet-proof at this point minus the engine block which should be OK if proper attention is given. Assuming the oil pump gears were replaced when you had the front cover off...
Thanks for the advice! I have new head gaskets, water pump, expansion tank and cap, upper and lower hoses, 180° stat, radiator, timing cover gasket, timing chain and gears, oil pan gasket, motor mounts, y pipe gaskets, plugs and wires, trans and transfer case mounts, starter motor, rebuilt driveshaft, ABS fix, new speed sensor and probably some other stuff I can't remember. Yes I have green coolant! Didn't do oil pump....

Monitor temps with ultra gauge? Will order one after I get paid. It's been a build over quite a span of time. I would love upgraded CVs and lockers but if I couldn't find used ones I don't think I'd be able to do it. I try to get off road as much as possible but not enough that those would become 100% necessary. CDL will be great with my working TC!

Old 10-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe!
Thanks for the advice! I have new head gaskets, water pump, expansion tank and cap, upper and lower hoses, 180° stat, radiator, timing cover gasket, timing chain and gears, oil pan gasket, motor mounts, y pipe gaskets, plugs and wires, trans and transfer case mounts, starter motor, rebuilt driveshaft, ABS fix, new speed sensor and probably some other stuff I can't remember. Yes I have green coolant! Didn't do oil pump....

Monitor temps with ultra gauge? Will order one after I get paid. It's been a build over quite a span of time. I would love upgraded CVs and lockers but if I couldn't find used ones I don't think I'd be able to do it. I try to get off road as much as possible but not enough that those would become 100% necessary. CDL will be great with my working TC!

You should look into getting the 2003 or 2004 model SLABS unit to replace yours to really have the TC and CDL clicking together. definitely put the oil pump gears on the list and the chromoly HD axles and lockers would be at the bottom of the list. maybe after you hit a sizeable lotto winning haha. regardless, I'm jealous. get a reading on those temps and an ultragauge and you will be good to go.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by chubbs878
You should look into getting the 2003 or 2004 model SLABS unit to replace yours to really have work the TC and CDL clicking together. definitely put the oil pump gears on the list and the chromoly HD axles and lockers would be at the bottom of the list. maybe after you hit a sizeable lotto winning haha. regardless, I'm jealous. get a reading on those temps and an ultragauge and you will be good to go.
Haha. It's an 03! Don't have the CDL light on when I shift it though? Not really sure how it all works. Will order an ultra gauge today. Where's the best place to buy one?

Old 10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Ultra Gauge dot com..........I'd give you mine as I rarely use it, but if I did........I'd then probably need it....nice work!

Quick Reply: Joes Disco