Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

my 98 disco1

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The pinion is supposed to be parallel with the transfercase for a normal ujoint drive shaft.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Baja
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I would say the back is good to go then, maybe I need cranked fronts too?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TOM R
I would say the back is good to go then, maybe I need cranked fronts too?
The fronts on these trucks is goofy. The front shaft is phased to mask or Band-Aid the stock geometry not being ideal. Its no mistake the D2's have a front DC shaft stock from the factory, that was one improvement. Typically you can run a 2" lift on a stock front shaft and be ok. Sometimes not though. A common misnomer is that front cranked arms will correct castor and that really isn't the case. Cranked front arms do three things:
1) They alleviate bushing bind at the chassis mounts.
2) They correct pinion angle, typically pointing it at the transfercase.
3) They put the front axle location back to centered in the wheel arch because they're lengthened a bit.

IMO cranked front arms and a DC front shaft go hand-in-hand. Don't do one without the other. The only way to correct castor is to get re-drilled swivel *****. RTE might still do that on a custom basis. I also feel that RTE is pretty much the only manufacturer that addresses ALL of these points.

So basically I would recommend running the stock front shaft with good ujoints as long as you can until it starts giving you problems.

Last edited by fishEH; 09-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Baja

Yeah I have minor vibration but it is probly the engine mounts, they look in need of replacing, got to get this fuel problem fixed first

Old 09-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by TOM R
Yeah I have minor vibration but it is probly the engine mounts, they look in need of replacing, got to get this fuel problem fixed first
Like every other bushing I'd recommend Genuine, or the Jag V12 mounts.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Baja

I got the pro lines for the transmission they seem fine so far

New fpr showed up so Rovers back together runs great so guess it is fixed will drive it see if the 1179 comes back

My pressure tester still says 28 psi but climbs when I raise off idle, a tire gauge says 32 at idle so I do not know what psi I really have

Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
The fronts on these trucks is goofy. The front shaft is phased to mask or Band-Aid the stock geometry not being ideal. Its no mistake the D2's have a front DC shaft stock from the factory, that was one improvement. Typically you can run a 2" lift on a stock front shaft and be ok. Sometimes not though. A common misnomer is that front cranked arms will correct castor and that really isn't the case. Cranked front arms do three things:
1) They alleviate bushing bind at the chassis mounts.
2) They correct pinion angle, typically pointing it at the transfercase.
3) They put the front axle location back to centered in the wheel arch because they're lengthened a bit.

IMO cranked front arms and a DC front shaft go hand-in-hand. Don't do one without the other. The only way to correct castor is to get re-drilled swivel *****. RTE might still do that on a custom basis. I also feel that RTE is pretty much the only manufacturer that addresses ALL of these points.

So basically I would recommend running the stock front shaft with good ujoints as long as you can until it starts giving you problems.

I don't want to hijack but I have a question. Having had the land cruiser, when looking at any lift over 3" it was mandatory to install castor correct bushings in the arms. The set up is extremely similar to the Rover. As I understand it castor is the position of the center line of the axle to 90 degrees. Meaning twisting. So why would these cranked arms and or bushings not cause the "twisting" movement like on the Toyota? Wouldn't offsetting the arms push or pull the center line? I mean that is essentially pinion angle right? Pinion angle and castor seem very similar (when talking about just one component not how it relates to the transfercase)

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 09-04-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Right from RTE.
Product Information - Do I need caster corrected swivel ***** for my lift kit?
Basically when your truck is at 3" of lift the stock driveshaft won't work, you'll need a DC shaft. For a DC shaft the pinion will need to point at the transfercase. Some companies sell arms to correct the pinion(for a DC shaft) while other's arms will correct castor. No arm will do both well. Go beyond 3" of lift into the 4-5" range and the difference between pinion angle and castor is more exaggerated. The best way to do it is arms to correct the pinion and redrilled swivel ***** to correct castor. Most people just end up living with altered steering instead of springing for redrilled swivel *****.
I would avoid the offset bushings. They're a pain to install correctly and just don't last in my experience.

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
I don't want to hijack but I have a question. Having had the land cruiser, when looking at any lift over 3" it was mandatory to install castor correct bushings in the arms. The set up is extremely similar to the Rover. As I understand it castor is the position of the center line of the axle to 90 degrees. Meaning twisting. So why would these cranked arms and or bushings not cause the "twisting" movement like on the Toyota? Wouldn't offsetting the arms push or pull the center line? I mean that is essentially pinion angle right? Pinion angle and castor seem very similar (when talking about just one component not how it relates to the transfercase)

Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Right from RTE.
Product Information - Do I need caster corrected swivel ***** for my lift kit?
Basically when your truck is at 3" of lift the stock driveshaft won't work, you'll need a DC shaft. For a DC shaft the pinion will need to point at the transfercase. Some companies sell arms to correct the pinion(for a DC shaft) while other's arms will correct castor. No arm will do both well. Go beyond 3" of lift into the 4-5" range and the difference between pinion angle and castor is more exaggerated. The best way to do it is arms to correct the pinion and redrilled swivel ***** to correct castor. Most people just end up living with altered steering instead of springing for redrilled swivel *****.
I would avoid the offset bushings. They're a pain to install correctly and just don't last in my experience.
Oh so the ball mounting flange is re-drilled? Like it's clocked to make up for the arm twisting it to were it needs to correct the angle?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:20 AM
Baja

Yes that sounds like what he means

A friend and I both have the same 4x4 dodge truck but mine is a dually, same steering but his steers hard and does not return, I keep telling him we need to adjust the castor, the trucks have a DC front shaft

From the factory my dodge has similar bush I gs to above but keyed bolts to adjust the and degree marks on the control arm and bushing, makes it easy to utilize

Last edited by TOM R; 09-05-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: my 98 disco1