Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   Operation Magpie. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/operation-magpie-88272/)

The Deputy 08-25-2018 04:59 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...68521263df.jpgOkay, took some pictures...

Plunger looks the same length as yours.

The second picture is of the back side of the gas door, showing the long groove that the plastic piece pivots through. The square piece that slides through the groove gets worn out on the top edge, allowing it to go to high in the groove and release/not hold the plunger. The top edge is where l added JB Weld and formed it up so it was square.

Brian.

The Deputy 08-25-2018 05:04 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...3f7bc15262.jpgSecond picture...

Saturnine 08-25-2018 11:31 PM

Ah, gotcha -- i see what you did there. :wave:

Tomorrow i will probably be swapping out alternators https://landroverforums.com/forum/im...sm032dunno.gif Running AC, stereo and lights i was seeing upper 12's/ low 13's on my UG. I had cleaned up all the grounds a few days earlier and that made a big difference but now its back to where it was.. bleh

I can test the output of the alternator with a voltmeter across the + of the alt and the - of the battery, right?

The Deputy 08-26-2018 07:28 AM

Yep, should have been a professional photographer...lol...that second picture is pretty blurry...but you get the idea.

Yes, you can also test across battery post, while running, should be in 13.7+ range. Then start turning things on, creating load, and see where it goes from there. Shouldn't drop much or at all, with headlights, wipers, fan on high, radio and someone lower all four windows at once. Wouldn't want to see anything lower than 13.5 at idle, if above idle...no change at all (13.7+). This is all assuming you have a good battery, a poor battery will affect an alternators output some. Especially, if it is constantly trying to charge a dead cell. But, normally...this will give you somewhat lower output, at idle...with no load, right off the bat.

Brian.

Saturnine 08-26-2018 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some weird stuff was going on but ended up swapping out alternators anyways. UG was reading upper 12's but volt meter at the battery was in the mid 13's :dunno: Either way it was on the low side, so decided to swap alternators because i had a brand new one sitting in a box.

Attachment 55608

Attachment 55609

Here is the paperwork that came with the new alternator -- says it rated at 180amps :dunno: The PN is the same but the SN was different so.. yeah..

Attachment 55610

Either way, the new alternator works much better -- seeing upper 13's to low 14's now. Much better piece of mind for this road trip that we're leaving on tomorrow!

The Deputy 08-27-2018 07:54 AM

Safe travels!

Saturnine 08-31-2018 05:13 PM

Back!

I have a few pics to share but man, what a great trip! MagPie didn't miss a beat although, when i had a peek underneath to see if anything was leaking.. it certainly was! The tcase looks like it was leaking all over the place which is a bummer but glad it didn't cause any problems while out and about.

Be back in a bit with pics and deets.

Richard Gallant 08-31-2018 05:30 PM

My T-case has started to leak too need to clean it up to see how severe, looking forward to pics

The Deputy 09-01-2018 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine (Post 660307)
Back!

I have a few pics to share...

Be back in a bit with pics and deets.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...we're waiting...tick, tock, tick, tock...lol.

Glad the rover ran well and made it there and back safely.

Brian.

Saturnine 09-01-2018 10:49 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Haha

Pics!

Attachment 55597

Attachment 55598

Attachment 55599

Attachment 55600

Attachment 55601

Attachment 55602

Attachment 55603

Attachment 55604

Attachment 55605

Richard Gallant 09-01-2018 12:20 PM

Nice! It is nice to see good clean air, we have not had much of that this year again.

Looks impressive looking toward the mountains from the flats

The Deputy 09-01-2018 12:37 PM

Okay, one question...and l'm not really sure if l want to know the answer or not...lol...but which one of you feels the need to wear bunny ears while pumping fuel?

Great pictures, though. Most get mighty tiresome looking at one beautiful spot after another. Thanks, for sharing.

Brian.

Saturnine 09-04-2018 09:48 AM

I certainly don't feel the need to wear bunny ears.. ever :dunno:

Lol! Happy to share pics of rad places that everyone should see with their own eyes.. Get out and drive!

Saturnine 09-04-2018 09:51 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Spent most of the day yesterday under MagPie dealing with a fairly heavy tcase leak. Took a lot more time than i thought it would simply because some jerk back in the 90's in England (probably while drinking tea, eating crumpets and making their teeth even more gross) thought it would be a good idea to place the flange of the DP/Cats to exhaust directly below where one of the bolts was to be removed from the service cover on the tcase. Literally, if the flange was a 1/2" either way it would have been no big deal. Naturally said bolt stripped and I had to summon the fury and magical lure of a hammer and vice grip to get it off. Bleh.

Cleaned up the cover plate, it seemed that someone had been in there before because of the use of liquid gasket but i'm not sure. It looked fairly thin and certainly came off incredibly easy so i'm hoping this was the reasoning of the leak. Used the black gasket maker and made a nice thick bead and reinstalled with all new hardware with blue loctight.

Just gotta add fluid now and hopefully that stopped the leak..

Attachment 55589

Attachment 55590

Attachment 55591

Attachment 55592

Looks aight in there :dunno:

Attachment 55593

Attachment 55594

The Deputy 09-04-2018 11:07 AM

But...how are you going to know when the fluid is low...now?

Looks good though.

Brian.

Saturnine 09-04-2018 12:35 PM

Well, if it starts leaking again i'll know to check the level more often :dunno:

Richard Gallant 09-04-2018 02:36 PM

Sure you get the easy leak, mine is leaking high up, I am not sure I can get to it easily.

Saturnine 09-04-2018 05:15 PM

Well, to be honest -- i just kinda assumed it was that panel thing. My leak could be up top just like yours. In doing research, it seemed that the panel is a very common place for the tcase to leak so i just did that. I would imagine i'd have to do it eventually, so why not start there :dunno:

Saturnine 09-06-2018 11:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Went on a trip to Estes Park yesterday with the Wifey (and pooch!) for fun and to test out if my tcase fix worked. Well, it didn't :dunno: Saw some drips within about 50miles of driving on the cross bar which is annoying. Havent had a chance to get under and inspect but what a bugger.

Should the bolts have been installed with some gasket sealant rather than blue locktite? I gotta check the vent tube as well, since apparently if that is clogged it can cause leaks from over pressurization. It is defo leaking on the front side of the case and not towards the rear of the truck :dunno:

Attachment 55584

Attachment 55585

Attachment 55586

Inline tstat is workin well :dunno:

Attachment 55587

Saturnine 09-06-2018 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of leaking case.. Looks like to me that the leak is coming from between the tcase and the tranny :dunno: Noticed some darker oil besides the fresh gear oil but it wasnt red like tranny fluid.. Output seal from tranny?

Attachment 55579

Attachment 55580

This also happened :rolleyes:

Attachment 55581

I shall explain more tomorrow -- i certainly got my sign from Jeff Foxworthy today.

wjsj69 09-07-2018 09:31 AM

Wow, sucky luck man. Maybe it's life's way of keeping you grounded after being in such beautiful country. Nuthin's free, right? If life (and Rovers) didn't keep you challenged it would be boring.. drop back and punt.

The Deputy 09-07-2018 11:40 AM

So, what happen? Since, punting is being mentioned...

Yes, l see it leaked something...but what?

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Richard Gallant 09-07-2018 04:54 PM

looks like the tcase is still leaking

Saturnine 09-08-2018 09:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lol!!

Well, let me tell you a story. I should preface by saying that the OP stripped out the oil drain plug and had this as a fix:

Attachment 55573

Never been a problem, just changed the oil literally a few days ago and things were gravy. Been dealing with a tcase leak so i was under the truck looking / wiping things clean. I had a clean patch on the rag still so i wiggled up towards the front of the truck with the idea of wiping / cleaning. I literally reach over and bump the stupid generic oil drain plug with my hand and it pops off and you can guess what followed next. I wasn't wearing any gloves or anything, wasn't prepared to deal with oil in this capacity. Lost most of the oil straight on the ground, it took a few seconds for my pea sized brain to realize what had happened before jamming the plug back in the pan. By then i had oil all over my hands / arms and was running down into my shirt -- not fun.

So yeah. The Darwin Award goes to.. Me :dunno:

I have one of these:

Attachment 55574

to go in here:

Attachment 55575

But i need a M16 1.5 tap -- I'm hoping i can just borrow one rather than spending $$ for one at the moment. Ran to the store and bought a larger generic plug for now, its jammed in there really good so should be fine for a little bit. Really glad this happened at home rather than.. anywhere else :dunno:

Saturnine 09-08-2018 09:19 PM

As far as the tcase is concerned, i don't know where it is leaking from :dunno: As mentioned above, i just cleaned everything again -- did some driving today and it is still clean. I guess the leak is higher up and the fluid level is now below that leak so it isnt leaking anymore :dunno:

I still can't figure out what that darker oil is from though. I had checked the tranny fluid maybe 2 weeks ago and it was still red -- not dark like the pic i posted.

ihscouts 09-09-2018 10:23 AM

Anything high mileage is going to have leaking seals, generally input and output are first to fail. Checking the breather aint a bad idea considering how much goop is built up on the tcase walls. I would chase the pan thread with a hardened metric bolt, the kind you can buy at a hardware store. Cut two opposing grooves in the bolt with a cutoff wheel just like a thread cutter would have. Cheap.

Saturnine 09-09-2018 10:38 PM

I knew about trying to clean out those vent tubes, but i guess i dont know how :dunno:

I know the banjo fitting is right on the top of the tcase so getting the hose off to clean out is really hard while the case is still in the truck.. I foresee me in the future dropping the case and doing things properly..

Drove some more today, still no leaks from the tcase :dunno:

Best4x4 09-10-2018 12:34 PM

Vents are easy to reach with the shifter plate bezel removed (drilling out the rivets is the hard part) and I never put rivets back. I always install screws after that so it’s easy to access in the future.

Saturnine 09-11-2018 09:45 AM

Sooo.. youre saying go through the center console to get to the vents then? Just the shifter surround or the whole center console?

Saturnine 09-11-2018 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont see any rivets?

Attachment 55572

Friday Night Disco 09-11-2018 09:59 AM

Under the plastic console

Best4x4 09-11-2018 08:53 PM

Yep under the plastic console, drill out the rivets on the plate, and then you can move it out of the way enough to get to the 14mm nut that holds the TC vent into place.

Saturnine 09-16-2018 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hmm.. Well, guess i'll have to do that soon.

Wifey and I went up to the mountains to find some color AND for the Wifey to run a 1/2 marathon.. again! Decided to camp the night before her race at a sweet spot we found. Weather was amazing, stars were bright and the air mattress was full of holes -- all the great mixings for a stupendous night out!

Made a fire with a road flare and wood that was left behind from previous campers, that was a first for us and it worked really well.

I was checking the underside of the truck almost every time we stopped to see if the tcase was leaking and sure enough, after driving up in the mountains etc i could see some drips. Arg. As mentioned above, gotta check that stupid breather and make sure its not clogged.

What is confusing me is that it appears to be some engine oil in the fluid that is seeping out of the tcase -- you can see it in the pic in the previous page. If the output seal on the tranny was going, it would be a red fluid i'd be seeing right? :dunno:

Attachment 55568

Attachment 55569

Friday Night Disco 09-16-2018 11:28 AM

I had engine oil that was coming from the bell housing that was blowing backwards...after removing the inspection plate and cleaning things up the issue went away. My assumption is that the rear main seal blew out at some point and time in the trucks life and after it was replaced the previous owner never cleaned things up. Needless to say I chases a non existent oil leak for a couple of weeks just to find out it was coming from the bell housing and wasn't an oil leak. If your engine oil levels are fine, I wouldn't sweat it. May just be some old oil that is slowly working its way to the lowest point on the truck.

Saturnine 09-16-2018 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hmm. Yeah i guess i'm not surprised that something like that could be happening :dunno:

I'll post this picture again, but you can see the oil is coming out where the tranny meets the tcase -- no other oil leaks anywhere else as of now (or at least aren't presenting themselves) so.. :dunno:

Attachment 55566

Attachment 55567

Saturnine 09-16-2018 11:36 AM

A GIF

https://imgur.com/jes0juG

Friday Night Disco 09-16-2018 11:44 AM

Get in there with a rag and clean it up as high as you can go.

How much oil are we talking about?
Does it smell like engine oil?
Is your engine oil level going down?
Pop the inspection plate on the bell housing and take a look inside and see if there is any oil in there.

Saturnine 09-16-2018 11:46 AM

The big rubber plug that faces the front of the engine, right?

I mean, id say that i've probably lost maybe 1/8 cup or less of tcase oil -- few drips on the ground that fall off the cross member. Havent smelled it and engine oil level hasnt changed :dunno:

Friday Night Disco 09-16-2018 11:58 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...4aea28307.jpeg

Friday Night Disco 09-16-2018 12:03 PM

If it "IS" engine oil, my thought is that it is blowing back from either oil pan or rear main gasket. There is nothing else around that area that would be engine oil related, to the best of my knowledge.

Gear/Transfer case and tranny oil have a distinct smell to them as well as color.