Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   Operation Magpie. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/operation-magpie-88272/)

FloridaRover 03-30-2018 11:54 AM

Maybe I meant bolt extractor.. but what is a bolt without a head... ?? =]

ihscouts 03-31-2018 06:55 AM

^ A Rover owner.....

Saturnine 03-31-2018 09:29 AM

:disco:

Sixpack577 03-31-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine (Post 642195)
Nice. I have some stud extractors someplace but I suppose a BOLT extractor would also be useful..

Just in thinking about doing all this, I'm weirdly excited to actually clean this damn engine and maybe do some painting :dunno:

Worth getting the headers thermo-coated / thermo - paint?

I would Not coat the exhaust manifolds or headers.
I had wanted to do the same, but was concerned it would heat up the catalytic converters too much.
Apparently it does. All the extra heat not radiating off the manifolds, is now going through the exhaust pipes into the cats.
Nodoubt wrapped heat tape on his exhaust manifolds during his rebuild, but removed it because it heated up the cats too much.
The cats sit right below the driver/passenger floorboard, with nothing else in between. So a radiant barrier under the carpet is a good idea too.

Saturnine 04-02-2018 11:54 AM

Hmmm.. Noted.

Ok, what about lifters? Truck has 123k on it, totally stock and had no ticking etc of any kind?

Started taking off the plastic bits yesterday but I am literally going to go outside right after i post this to start tearing things down. Anyone know the specs off hand for how much i can have the heads shaved down? Assuming mine aren't all jacked from overheating..

Sixpack577 04-02-2018 12:25 PM

I don't know right off how much the heads can be machined. But .010"-.030" is pretty standard, and about as much as you want to go.
As for lifters, your call, if it's not ticking.
They are easy to do should you need to later.

Saturnine 04-02-2018 03:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sweet, thanks for that!

Made a little dent in things today, probably worked for about 3 hours total taking my time. Broke the air intake sensor which sucks and the lead on one of the new plug wires broke as well -- the little metal bit that clips onto the spark plug decided to stay there :dunno:

Other than that, this engine is fu-king filthy -- probably scooped up about 1/2 cup worth of oily muck scraped off with a screw driver.

Attachment 55786

Attachment 55787

Sixpack577 04-02-2018 03:54 PM

That's kinda what my engine looked like.
Only mine was fresh oily, that one looks baked on, burnt up oily, like it stopped leaking, aka, ran out of oil, lol!

Richard Gallant 04-02-2018 04:51 PM

wow that is something - I have not seen anything that bad in along time

Saturnine 04-02-2018 05:14 PM

Nah, it actually hasn’t lost a drop of oil since I’ve owned it but yeah, it’s caked on really good.

im starting to think I paid at least $1k more than I should have for this truck but oh well. Love and learn, right?

:dunno:

Originally Posted by Sixpack577 (Post 642590)
That's kinda what my engine looked like.
Only mine was fresh oily, that one looks baked on, burnt up oily, like it stopped leaking, aka, ran out of oil, lol!

ihscouts 04-02-2018 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Saturnine (Post 642516)
....Anyone know the specs off hand for how much i can have the heads shaved down? Assuming mine aren't all jacked from overheating..

Heads -
Maximum warp is .002
Maximum reface limit .02

Saturnine 04-03-2018 04:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Making progress... Man is this thing filthy -- Looks surprising clean on the inside though!

I am pleased to report that i did loosen all the exhaust mani bolts and none of them broke!

Attachment 55780

Attachment 55781

Attachment 55782

Attachment 55783

Attachment 55784

Saturnine 04-04-2018 04:02 PM

6 Attachment(s)
All done with the tear down -- i was surprised how not tight the head bolts were :dunno: You can see in cyl #7 where the HG failed, there is a tad bit of surface rust in the bore. Everything else looks ok which is good! No stripped / broken bolts which is awesome.

I mistakenly didn't undo the manifold --> downpipe bolts before cracking the seal on the drivers side HG, which caused me to get some vinegar/water solution in my eye while crawling back under the truck to undo them. It hurt real bad! The bolt on the back of the drivers side head where the wire harness is connected was extremely annoying to get out, I had already removed the head bolts so the head kinda moved around a little on the mounting pins which dinged the head ever so slightly. Hopefully the machine shop can clean the dings up, they aren't super deep :dunno:

Attachment 55770

Attachment 55771

Attachment 55772

Attachment 55773

Attachment 55774

Attachment 55775

Now i just need to get the heads to a machine shop -- the HG kit from Lucky8 should be arriving tomorrow.

Saturnine 04-04-2018 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Btw -- whats the deal with the green paint on the front of the block? I seem to recall there was a few different paint codes to identify the grade of blocks between the Range Rovers and Land Rovers. Any one know?

Attachment 55769

ArmyRover 04-04-2018 05:17 PM

Green is the factory mark for....

Will blow head gaskets on the regular :)

Saturnine 04-04-2018 10:07 PM

Hmmm, I see.

i did make some tap/thread chasers out of the old HG hardware tonight. Going to clean up those threads tomorrow.

abran 04-05-2018 09:55 AM

The mark that actually grades the block is under the valley pan on either cylinder 5 or 6. Most of the time oil has eaten it away. It’s a simple paint dab in either blue, yellow, or red.

Saturnine 04-05-2018 11:57 AM

Gotcha, thanks Abran!

Saturnine 04-05-2018 02:24 PM

Just got a quote from a super reputable machine shop that services the best independent LR shop here in Denver, they quoted me $450 for a complete rebuild / clean up etc -- the whole works. It's a tad more than I was thinking it was going to be but still within the ballpark of my budget.

Dropping those off early next week and then the Wifey and I are going to Europe for a family trip for 10 days. Heads will be finished by then and I can throw this thing back together!

Jeff Blake 04-14-2018 10:37 AM

$450 sounds about right, that's the same I paid for a hot tank, resurface, and 3 angle valve job. They should end up better than new!

Saturnine 04-20-2018 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the heads, they look incredible -- no pics yet! They ended up being resurfaced .014, so last time these heads can be machined but I'm not concerned honestly. Supposed to be snowy/rainy tomorrow so keeping my fingers crossed i can actually start putting things back together. Just been doing a ton of cleaning both in the bay and parts that came off.

Attachment 55761

Saturnine 04-21-2018 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well my fingers officially are tired of scrubbing off all the sh-t on this engine. Replaced all the o-rings on the injectors, the old ones were in fairly good knick, none were cracked but all were on the brittle side.

Attachment 55758

Attachment 55759

Having to clean all these bits in the kitchen sink sucks balls.

Saturnine 04-22-2018 07:29 AM

Welp, its 630am and today is the day. No snow today, supposed to be in the 60's so its game on for getting everything back together.. Or at least most of it.

I'm so ready to be done with doing this job!

ihscouts 04-22-2018 12:53 PM

Having .014 removed makes a statement about the warpage, now they're square.

Saturnine 04-22-2018 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed they were fairly fubard.. :dunno:

In other news, this happened. Brand spanking new, did the initial 15lb with the torque wrench and the first 90 degree rotation. After 30 mins, started to do the 2nd 90 degrees, got maybe 30 degrees in when i heard a really loud pop and then the wrench went loose. **** **** **** **** **** was the only thing going through my mind -- backed it out slowly with a wrench and got it out.. Got lucky on this one for sure.. Good thing it was the most accessible bolt on the passenger side, closest to the t-stat. Gonna get a new bolt tomorrow along with some gaskets for the exhaust which apparently doesn't come with the HG kit from Lucky8.

Attachment 55757

The Deputy 04-22-2018 06:48 PM

Ouch. Can't remember right off hand, but aren't there three different size bolts, three long, two medium for under valve cover and five shorter ones for along exhaust edge. Bet your heart sunk a few feet, when that baby snapped.

Brian.

Saturnine 04-22-2018 09:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yeah, it certainly did. Everything is ok though. There are actually 2 bolt types -- middle 3 near lower IM are longer, the other 7 are shorter bolts. This one is a shorter one.

Yay pics.

Attachment 55751

Attachment 55752

Attachment 55753

Decided this would be a good time to re-wrap the engine harnesses with a silicon tape, so easy to use and better than that crappy plastic non-sense.

Attachment 55754

Attachment 55755

Saturnine 04-23-2018 06:12 PM

Got a lot done today! Didn't really take any pics but I'll snag some tomorrow.

Got the lower intake manifold installed, valve covers, CP+wires and most of the SAI crap. Just need to put the front of the motor back together and slap on the upper intake and should be good to go. Ran out to a local rover shop to pick up a new head bolt and exhaust manifold --> DP gaskets because the Lucky8 kit didn't come with them. Bugger. Speaking of not included -- the upper hard pipe gasket :mad: Gonna run to a local parts store and pick up something because.. its just an o-ring, can't be that difficult to find one that'll work... right? :dunno:

Everything went ok but i'll be honest.. the valve covers were annoying. I had picked up a can of that spray tac crap that the AB guys used in the yewtube vid and I wasn't really happy with how it worked. It was tacky but it sure as hell didn't really hold the gasket on very well (all surfaces were clean) so i had to futz with it a number of times to make sure that it seated properly.

Just need to get a jug of coolant and change the oil.. Also picked up a transmission filter / service kit but i'll probably do that in a week or so.

Yay.

ihscouts 04-23-2018 08:04 PM

Almost there, you'll be glad you did it - not that you had much choice. Now you'll be able to dole out advice like a chilled out been there done that vet.

Saturnine 04-23-2018 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe I won't be glad but my wallet certainly will be :laugh:

No really though, I feel good doing this type of stuff.. assuming it works :)

Attachment 55749

Psycho_Taco 04-25-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine (Post 645037)
Everything went ok but i'll be honest.. the valve covers were annoying. I had picked up a can of that spray tac crap that the AB guys used in the yewtube vid and I wasn't really happy with how it worked. It was tacky but it sure as hell didn't really hold the gasket on very well (all surfaces were clean) so i had to futz with it a number of times to make sure that it seated properly.

A trick my buddy taught me was to put drill bits in each bolt hole. You can slip the gasket over them, line up the cover, and then replace the bits with the bolts one at a time. It helped me when trying to get those darn gaskets lined up properly.

Hopefully Magpie will run smoothly for you after all of this! :disco:

razorkill12 04-25-2018 11:37 PM

Looking good! I did one head today..put valve seals in, cleaned and checked with straight edge..ready to go back on. . Hopefully will get other head ready tomorrow to put back on and get back on the road..

Saturnine 04-26-2018 08:06 AM

Thanks for the tips!

Everything is on hold at the moment because of the L8 HG not coming with the upper coolant hard pipe O-ring. I think I can probably just goto the local parts store and get something that’ll work — maybe tomorrow!

Im to lazy to look right now but these engines are Buick 215’s, right?

Sixpack577 04-26-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine (Post 645270)
Thanks for the tips!

Everything is on hold at the moment because of the L8 HG not coming with the upper coolant hard pipe O-ring. I think I can probably just goto the local parts store and get something that’ll work — maybe tomorrow!

Im to lazy to look right now but these engines are Buick 215’s, right?

The lower intake and o-ring won't be on the Buick engine.

Saturnine 04-26-2018 08:10 AM

Well, poo on a stick.

Originally Posted by Sixpack577 (Post 645272)
The lower intake and o-ring won't be on the Buick engine.

Sixpack577 04-26-2018 08:11 AM

If you need something to do, you can finish putting my engine together and get it back in the truck for me.
Thanks!

Saturnine 04-26-2018 10:07 AM

Lots of beer and pizza plus a plane ticket and I’m there

Sixpack577 04-26-2018 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine (Post 645285)
Lots of beer and pizza plus a plane ticket and I’m there

You had me, up until the plane ticket, lol

ihscouts 04-26-2018 11:53 AM

Usually decent hardware stores have O-rings, just take with and compare.

Saturnine 04-26-2018 12:18 PM

Cheap skate

Originally Posted by Sixpack577 (Post 645294)
You had me, up until the plane ticket, lol