Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

Suggestions Needed! New to Land Rover Discovery 5, what options/packages are best.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions Needed! New to Land Rover Discovery 5, what options/packages are best.

Hi all, some great info in here but hoping to get something a bit more specific. Looking at getting either a '17 or '18 HSE or HSE LUX Diesel. Will be doing cross country U.S. and Canada with some minor off-roading and towing time to time.
1. Is there a big difference between getting a '17 or '18 model year? Currently leaning towards '18.
2. Since I drive 10 hours easy per day sometimes, I am really inclined on getting the LUX for the massage seats. Is this function good enough to warrant the on average 5K+ ? Or shall is HSE with certain packages good as well.
3. Biggest problem im having is trying to understand which options/packages i should be absolutly getting. Would love to hear everyone's input and advice.
thank you in advance!

Old 12-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LandRovery
Hi all, some great info in here but hoping to get something a bit more specific. Looking at getting either a '17 or '18 HSE or HSE LUX Diesel. Will be doing cross country U.S. and Canada with some minor off-roading and towing time to time.
1. Is there a big difference between getting a '17 or '18 model year? Currently leaning towards '18.
2. Since I drive 10 hours easy per day sometimes, I am really inclined on getting the LUX for the massage seats. Is this function good enough to warrant the on average 5K+ ? Or shall is HSE with certain packages good as well.
3. Biggest problem im having is trying to understand which options/packages i should be absolutly getting. Would love to hear everyone's input and advice.
thank you in advance!
1. No big differences. All in the options really that make the difference
2. Can't comment on massage seats. Wish I had them.
3. I couldn't purchase a daily driver without adaptive cruise control myself. I use it constantly on highway, in highway traffic, and around town. I do like the digital diplay behind the wheel over the analog gauges. I would not buy one without air suspension but I don't think you have to check ynless you look at SEs. Depending on your climate.. I'd be looking at one with auxilary AC in ceiling for second row and cooled seats.

My biggest hurdle when I was looking used CPO and Carmax was that options were listed inaccurately. We resorted to zooming in on steering wheel photos to see if acc was present and such... finding that option was difficult and we ended up just buying new instead when 0% financing came around. Also part of our issue was color choice... we did not want white or black and most are either of those.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 AM
4wd High

Thank you for the reply and input. I agree digital dash looks nicer.

After the latest console reprogramming and upgrades have most of the bugs been worked out?

Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Thank you for the reply and input. I agree digital dash looks nicer.

After the latest console reprogramming and upgrades have most of the bugs been worked out?
We have had a 2020 for about 6 months. Software has lost the radio twice in that period but after keying it off for about 30 minutes it has come back. Besides that, we have not had any issues and hasn't needed anything at all from the dealership. Been trouble free.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:05 PM
4wd High

That sounds positive! I'm thinking we will do our cross country tour and then trade in for a 2021 as that is looking very nice. I've read in certain areas there may be no diesel for that year however...

Old 12-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

That sounds positive! I'm thinking we will do our cross country tour and then trade in for a 2021 as that is looking very nice. I've read in certain areas there may be no diesel for that year however...
we have the supercharged v6 and not a diesel. With you doing the drives that it sounds like are in store for it, you should do well with it. My wife's commutes are often short and i deal with tier iv diesels for a living and wouldn't own one unless necessary... your use is close enough to necessary that I would have considered one.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:39 PM
4wd High

Yes, going to cover a lot of ground and also think it will be better to tow with.