Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

1984 Defender 110 V8 vacuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Defender 110 V8 vacuum hose

Hey guys I have a 1984 Defender 110 with the 3.5 V8. I have been searching, with no avail, to find where this vacuum hose would connect to. I noticed it the other day when I was adjusting my choke and cannot figure out where it should connect. The hose itself has a inline bolt that says "long nut to manifold". That end is connected to the intake between the two carbs and when the truck is running sucks air. Everything else is connected properly including the hoses to the distributor and head tank so I am at a loss here. Everything I search and look at excludes this hose. Any help would be wonderful.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

The only thing l can see, is the small bracket just below your fingers in second picture, and maybe it goes through that and to the air filter housing or ?

After looking at several picture on the net, some have this fitting/hose, while some 3.5's have a solid plug in that port of manifold. And whenever there was a solid plug, there wasn't that small bracket mounted to carb bolt. So, just guessing that maybe the bracket being there...has something to do with whether or not the maniflod has a fitting or a plug?

This picture shows fitting and bracket on left carb (passengers side). Plus, the natural bend in that plastic tube/hose kind of indicates it goes towards the back of engine.

Maybe ArmyRover will check in and have something to offer, he has an 84 110 with gas engine.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The only thing l can see, is the small bracket just below your fingers in second picture, and maybe it goes through that and to the air filter housing or ?

After looking at several picture on the net, some have this fitting/hose, while some 3.5's have a solid plug in that port of manifold. And whenever there was a solid plug, there wasn't that small bracket mounted to carb bolt. So, just guessing that maybe the bracket being there...has something to do with whether or not the maniflod has a fitting or a plug?

This picture shows fitting and bracket on left carb (passengers side). Plus, the natural bend in that plastic tube/hose kind of indicates it goes towards the back of engine.

Maybe ArmyRover will check in and have something to offer, he has an 84 110 with gas engine.
Thanks, seems like it should go to the back of the engine. I pulled off the intake and searched for a place it might plug in but was not able to find anything. The interesting thing is the intake is different then what I am used to seeing as well. It has some hoses that go down the passenger side of the engine attached to the intake after the filter. Those hoses enter and exit a piece of the exhaust manifold and the flow is controlled by a butterfly valve and a vacuum hose. I assume it opens the valve to warm the air before pulling it into carbs (maybe part of the auto enrichment?). Anyway - the vacuum hose that controls that valve is not hooked to anything either so very confused. Looked at every picture I can find online and cannot place the hoses.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, l wondered about some sort of preheat for air intake. In your second picture, just below your fingers, looks to be a diaphragm housing, which would open and close by changing temperature of exhaust gases. But, wasn't sure if LR used anything like this, even though round diaphragm housing looks familiar to American made vehicles of that age. I'd search for vacuum line diagrams, maybe Rimmer Brothers or Rovers North could help?

Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear

I did finally find a diagram for the what is called the "Air Temp Control"

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/...962814_53463#5

It looks like the valve that controls cold air vs warmed air coming from the exhaust is hooked through a temp sensor and then the manifold. When the temp sensor recognises cold ambient air it opens and allows the vacuum from the manifold to open the valve in the intake - giving the engine warmed air. I think bypassing this is pretty easy and looks like the plug in most of the V8 engines can replace the vacuum line and then its a matter of blocking off the hoses from exhaust.

Incase anyone wants to know!

Old 06-16-2021, 05:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, the diagram makes sense. Figured it was a preheat system.