Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hose Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hose Questions

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out where all the hoses go back to. I also am having to reorder most, as they were in bad shape. I took pics beforehand, but apparently not enough.

The red hose, this is the water supply hose from the radiator, correct? The PO had the expansion tank to radiator and water supply hoses flipped on the wrong nubs on the radiator, at least according to Rave.

On the plenum chamber, I see the black top hose is the one that's part of the "tee". I have the tee assembled now. The red water supply hose is below and to the left of that. But the black hose directly below the top black hose I can't find that one. It was a small hose that was a pain to get off the intake manifold. Is it this part from AB? And would it run from the plenum down to a nub on the driver's side intake manifold?

Hose - Idle Control Plenum Chamber (ETC7874 Same Fit As Part # ETC7874 ) - Land Rover fuel injection from Atlantic British

Lastly, when removing the rounded off head bolt, I broke the plastic brake servo vacuum hose. I can't seem to find that part anywhere. Is it hard to find or am I searching it wrong? It runs along the firewall and attaches to the ram housing on the passenger side.

Attached Thumbnails Hose Questions-img_3883.jpg   Hose Questions-img_3755.jpg   Hose Questions-img_3877.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:35 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Re: the water jacket hoses (red in your case) and the expansion tank hose get installed like this.....

LONG (red) From LEFT Nipple on Radiator TO RIGHT Nipple on WATER JACKET

SHORT(BLK) From MANIFOLD Nipple TO LEFT Nipple on WATER JACKET

SHORT(BLK) FROM EXPANSION TANK TO RIGHT Nipple on RADIATOR

AND NOW to save yourself some time and money all you need to replace those 3 hoses is
ONE 5 foot roll of Vibrant Performance #20415 Silicone Heater Hose.

> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-20415

> https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...oducts_id=2205

Just remember to get some clamps that are made for silicone hose (smooth inner liner).
If you aren't going to get the above hose (and I strongly suggest you do)
be sure to get hose from NAPA etc rated for COOLANT and NOT FUEL.

The following users liked this post:
lrnoob (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 AM
TReK

Re: the PCV HOSES the hose you listed ETC7874 mounts on the back of the INTAKE Plenum to the Stepper Motor Housing.

The Front hose Bits are in the pic
Remember to clean the Flame Trap (ERC248) and replace the O ring (#564258) before you install the hoses.

lrnoob (04-06-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Mudding

Awesome! And those directions (left/right) that would be standing at the front of the car, looking towards the back?

Can I also use the silicone hose for that plastic hose I broke along the firewall that goes into the servo?

Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 PM
TReK

1. Yes, the directions are Standing/Looking from the FRONT.
Most directions for LR are not listed this way, but I thought it would be easier to put the directions as you would see the parts.
IN THIS CASE Left = Passenger Side .... Right = Driver. RAVE lists direction as if you are looking through the windscreen.

2. IDK the ID of the plastic/nylon brake servo vac hose or how molded it is. But you can get hose made for vacuum applications from the vibrant site or at any NAPA. NAPA also sells the nylon hose in bulk with fittings/elbows.
One warning, get the Non-Return Valve "Nipple" Part #STC780 that mounts to the booster.
I hate to say this but....If you haven't broken it already, it's only a matter of time.

3. Just a headsup, the radiator fill plug is the wrong type. It looks like someone went lazy and used a NPT Plug with Teflon Tape to make a seal from Home Depot. The correct fill plug has BSPP threads NOT NPT and seals with an O ring. At this point you may be stuck because the threads are F'd up, so be real easy removing that plug.
I would still try and see if the correct plug ERR4686 would work. The odds are low but you MIGHT get lucky because the NPT Plug looks to be brass so the threads in the Rad could be salvageable... Good Luck!

lrnoob (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Mudding

Thank you so much, OverRover!

Old 04-11-2018, 01:05 PM
TReK

IDK why I didn't think of this before, but I hope you are replacing ALL the Coolant Hoses and Thermostat with this service.
If not then let me give you a headsup about at least replacing the small hose ( PEH101530 ) the runs from the metal heater pipe to the nipple on the manifold. It's located on the PASSENGER SIDE (looking from front).

That hose has 2 DIFFERENT DIAMETER ENDS, so when it pops you're not getting this at AutoZone etc. I've had it happen twice and now I always carry a spare. You are this far in, just replace it now.

lrnoob (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Mudding

Yep, replacing them all, and got the new thermostat and gasket in, too.Thankfully I got that one. I actually bought 2, so I'll have a spare. I'll have plenty of spares, haha!

I got the wrong heater hoses, though. The ones I bought came in a kit for the 96-99s (I think) and they are way longer and thinner than the originals. I'll have to reorder the correct ones.

I also got a lead on the plastic brake booster vacuum hose from a place in the UK. The part number is SQG100130

Old 04-11-2018, 01:33 PM
TReK

Good man, replacing all the coolant hoses is the only way to go! I'm always shocked by people who don't do this.
If it's the (2) "long" Heater Hoses (both inlet & outlet) you need, that's part #: PCH000100

Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Mudding

Yep, that's the 2 I bought. I can use those? They are a different shape than the originals on there, and much longer. I didn't want to cut them just yet, but they curve a lot more than the originals, and I didn't know if that was bad for coolant flow.

Quick Reply: Hose Questions