Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Bringing Defender home from Europe..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing Defender home from Europe..

I'm studying abroad a semester in Spain and have a month and a half left here. I've been looking at Defenders since I came in because I've had aspirations of bringing one home with me since the later European models are available and they are cheaper. I know these things have been posted before and I've read articles on the internet about bringing a whip home, but my concern now lies with the vehicle. Are the 21century european Defenders legal in the states with emissions right off the line from Europe? If not do the border vehicle checks really have an impact? What's the value on a newer European Defender in the land of the free since they aren't readilly available? Are parts different than the older ones to the point that I will have a difficult time fixing it back home due to complexity and availability? Is it really as hard as it looks to bring one or possibly more back with me? Do you want one too? Thanks for any help you can provide, Joe

Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bringing Defender home from Europe..

25 years or older for import to the USA, 15 for Canada.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bringing Defender home from Europe..

It has to be at least 25 years old to import intothe US. So if you can find a good one go for it. Don't try to import anything newer. And to answer your questions about parts, they ain't cheap. Difficult to find in the states for something that just about does not exsist in the states. But people who have them aren't concerned with the cost. I reallyenjoy driving mine and it will be coming to the states with me in a few years after its 25th birthday. Good luck with your search.