Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Coming off the long thread about installing aux battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 08:33 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coming off the long thread about installing aux battery

That was a great thread -- and beyond my skills - wow!
Too many questions - I am sorry!

I guess there are no aftermarket installers to look for putting that equip in?

On a retail level - if I buy a lithium battery (GoalZero, Jackey, Eco, etc,) that I will charge up at home then:

1. I can re-charge it with the 12V cigarette lighter in cargo space when driving and then use it for the evening for:
- small cooler,
- maybe a microwave?
Any folks have a microwave on the trail? Would not have thought of that for car/SUV camping.
- Can I run a compressor as well?
- The 110 V A/C plug in the cargo area is NOT meant for charging the aux battery correct? It has to be the 12 V? Wondering if I can charge the battery off the 12 V and if I can keep the cooler going with the 110 AC plug? Again - all during vehicle operation.
- What do YOU do with the 110 AC plug? Ignore it?
- If I take out the styrofoam from under the cargo floor to get more room --- I am removing the support for that panel eh?

Bob

Old 02-06-2022, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you meant to post this in the 2020 Defender forum. You might have more responses there.

Here’s my take:
Yes, you can recharge it with the cigarette lighter but it’s very slow. Fridge should be easy, a microwave takes a ton of power. You would need an inverter sized to match the draw. The EcoFlow Delta can do it

Similarly, a compressor takes a large load. High quality compressors attach directly to the battery instead of through cigarette lighter adapter. I’m not sure how that would work with something like an EcoFlow delta. I think you’re better off starting the vehicle and running directly off the starter battery.

There’s no reason you can’t use the 110 V plug to charge your battery when the vehicle is running. The output is limited to ~120W which is not much.

The styrofoam only organizes the tools. The platform sits on a lip around it. You can remove it. Other have built false floors or other types of organization. If you have the P400, there is a lot of equipment to contend with vs P300.

Here’s a great video comparing pros/cons of battery “power stations” vs dual battery: