Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Defender Questions?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Defender Questions?!?!?!?

So I've been reading couple articles online about the Defender and I'm confused whether they are stopping production or not?
One article states they are stopping production after 67 year but the other is talking about 2019 models which is obviously 4 years from now??? Anyone know??
Reason I ask if my husband would love to get one ($$Money wise not a good time at the moment) but just in the future..

Jaguar Land Rover ends Defender production after 67 years
Read more: Jaguar Land Rover ends Defender production after 67 years | CTV News | Autos

2019 Land Rover Defender to offer five body styles
Read more: 2019 Land Rover Defender to offer five body styles | LeftLaneNews

Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the last defender has been built, until they bring the NAME back that is.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for clarifying. happy holidays!!

Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like the first drive reviews for the New Defender were released from the embargo today! First impressions I’ve read all seem to be very positive although it’s not a Wrangler killer, which is ok.

Bronco should be unveiled soon by Ford, so we’ll finally have a series of serious off-readers to compete against one another for our dollars.

Hopefully the 3rd party market takes on the Defender, as an upgraded coil suspension and beefier Air suspension options would be great. Rock rails or tubes and some armor for the plastic bottom of the front bumper would be most welcome as well.

No better time for a collection of bug out vehicles than now.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Thread has been quiet during COVID-19, so figured I would bring up a new conundrum. Because I barely even use my car these days while working from home and just filled up the tank after 8 weeks, it's making me rethink the investment in a NEW vehicle. Why would I need to pay around $76,000 (sticker for my build) for a new Defender; for what?

My wife and I may be working from home for an indefinite length of time. Even if there is some office presence at some point, it wouldn't be 5 days per week and we will have a staggered schedule in office.

A used vehicle is now more attactive than ever. Reliability and gas milage no longer mean the same to me as 3 months ago, so I can get a used, whatever, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover, LR4, etc. No rebuilt Defender by Himalaya for $100K, because, why?

I don't want a collectors toy, I want a 4x4 that I can beat on and drive cross country once a year. No one is going to really see your new pretty Defender as the social hierarchy has been reduced to rubble. This is all liberating to a point, but could be devastating to luxury manufacturers. I just don't care as much as I did because daily driver, has for me become once or twice per weekly driver.

Anyone else share any of these thoughts?

Old 05-19-2020, 08:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

If you have the money and job/income/financial stability aren't a concern and will not be affected by a pandemic or downturn, I'd say buy one. They look awesome and I would want one. But, if job security/income are a concern and $76k is a number that you have to think about, then no.

I can't say I would buy the first run though. First, the first run of any new vehicle is usually a big no no. Secondly, this is JLR we are talking about. If you can wait until year two I would do that and maybe get a cheap around town vehicle in the meantime.

I'm driving my 15 year old 4 runner with 200k miles because I'm waiting on Toyota to release the new 4Runner in a year or two and I'm waiting on the first batch of Defenders to run. I don't mind the wait.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The pandemic will pass, it is a virus, it is not the end of civilization as we know it. Eventually life will return to normal.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Also this thread was probably quiet since it had died 5 years ago

The following 2 users liked this post by ArmyRover:
JUKE179r (05-21-2020), The Deputy (05-28-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Also this thread was probably quiet since it had died 5 years ago
Ha! Yeah, not sure how I ended up posting here; was a mistake. Moved my most recent post to the 2020 Defender area.

Not so much as a worry. If the economy continues to tank, we may all need to worry about job security.

ArmyRover, you’re right, this will pass; a bit overblown thus far as is, but I may be working from home for months and may never go fully back into the office; neither will many others even though they may not realize this just yet.

Need to ask you about a shop anyway in case I go for the LR4 next year. Won’t be getting anything until May 2021 at earliest.

Any thoughts on The Shop in Norcross? Seem like some good guys. If I go with the LR4, hope to bring it to them to add the off-road goodies and maybe some improved air bags and a few other replacement parts for concerning areas.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,499 Likes on 1,226 Posts

The shop is a good bunch of guys. I went there once a couple years ago to get an alignment since no one local would touch it. Since then Firestone has added the capability and they offer a lifetime alignment. Handy when you drive as poorly as I do off road

As far as having them do mods I would assume it would not be a problem. Most of what you listed requires some free time and basic tools. A couple years there may be Rover friendly off road shop in Augusta

I don't really take my junk to someone else to work on it. With a bit of motivation and research I can do it myself and then when a problem hits on the road it's no big deal. I already know the truck and how to fix it. Oh and I'm cheap

Last edited by ArmyRover; 05-19-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Defender Questions?!?!?!?