Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

New Defender owner (Santana, actually)

Old 06-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by terryjm1
loanrangie, you must be thinking of the later Santanas. This 1988 is almost identical to a same era Defender. All I have found different is superficial trim items and some other items that are different, like the speedo, but will swap without modification.

Also, the 94-98 Disco axles appear to fit perfectly. However, if I stay with the leaf springs I will have to cut off the leaf spring mounts and make some other minor modifications to the axles. It would not be greatly difficult to buy the factory parts to convert to coils.

The most impressive aspect is there is literally no rust!
All the info i have says that they still used the body style of the LR but everything else is unique to the Santana including parabolic leaf springs and mechanicals.
You might want to check the running gear of that Santana as it may have be upgraded or replaced.

The following users liked this post:
terryjm1 (06-13-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Defender / Santana

loanrangie,

I noticed in your info you have 1998 D1 TDI. I also have a 98 D1 I am converting from V8 to 300 TDI. It is nearly finished. I am at the stage of trying to make sense of what to use from the wiring harness and what to abandon.

I purchase some templates on locating the new engine mounts and that made installing those very simple. Everything else just bolts into place. I no longer need them if someone else is reading this and is planning a conversion.

It has been a slow project as I rarely have time to work on it, but has been pretty straight forward thus far.

On the Defender / Santana, I have purchased several odd and ends such as a water pump and MPH speedo, which look to fit perfectly. The big test is I now need to replace some front end parts. There is too much play in the steering.

I'll post back when I tear into it an start replacing those items. I am concerned it may be the steering gearbox.

Based on the looks of everything at 166,000 kilometers, about 103,000 miles, I do not suspect much has been changed since new.

I did speak/email Duncan at Land Rover Import. He indicated the significant difference was the leaf springs. However, he did say when ordering parts I would have to confirm what engine, transmission, axles, were installed as the Santana model years do not always match their UK counterparts from year to year. When I purchased it my biggest concern was sourcing spares. He and others alleviated those concerns.

Where did you locate your info on the Santana? I can only find info from Wikipedia and Wikipedia is often inaccurate. I read that the later models became primarily or entirely "suzuki" in the early to mid 90's. Suzuki purchased 20% of Santana in 1986 and in 1991 purchased 49%.I am hopeful my 1988 remained mostly Land Rover. So far it seems as such.

Someday I will probably do an engine conversion to a 300 TDI.

It runs like a top now so I will probably wait a few years.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

throw up some picture of the drive train when you have a minute

Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

From my reading i was under the impression that after LR and Santana parted ways that the Santana then had no genuine LR running gear, regardless as long as you made an informed choice then all is good.
I love my TDI, i went from a V8 RRC to my TDI auto expecting it to be slower but far from it.
Even with 32" rubber i can easily leave nisota 4wd's at the lights and thats with a stock motor, i'm about to fit a larger Garrett VNT so expecting performance to be good.
Even now i can keep up with my mates 4.7ltr stroked RV8 91 D1.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Default More info

Doing some more google research. Here are some posts I found on other forums.

First is a link from one forum an the next is copy-n-paste from another:

Other I just bought a series IV - Land Rover Zone

Julian
A lot of ill informed comments on here. Including the dealer guy that obviously wants to put people off buying these cars and instead buy his Defenders. Firstly they are as capable as any Land Rover. They are a Land Rover in origin. The chassis is Land Rover, the engine is 2 and a quarter which later was enlarged to 2500. Again a land Rover engine. The body from the bulkhead back is Land Rover. Slightly different front fenders but will accept normal Series 3 and Defender wings. I should know as I have done it. Many parts for the cars are just pure series 3 and can be ordered from Paddocks in the UK. If it doesn’t you can modify stuff from the defender to fit. It depends how far you want to go. 200 and 300 tdi or any other Land Rover product for that matter can be fitted as the same engine bay. Same axles, same gearbox on early models and LT85 on later version which Land Rover used on it’s V8 versions due to it being a good strong box. Later models were fitted with Parabolic springs which give a ride similar to a could spring version. The Santana super has it’s own modified bulkhead although at around 1987 it was switched back to the original design. The 87 versions on wards are for all intents and purposes a Defender on a Series 3 chassis. I have both version plus a series 3 in my garage now.
The series 3 is exactly the same in every way and means you can get an original rust free LHD example as opposed to UK rotters. The Super has the differences listed, the later 2500 as it is known has different front wings the same as the super but back from that is is all just Defender/Series 3 same doors, same dash same switches, same box. Parts are not hard to find and you soon get to know what will fit from a Defender/Series 3. Again Paddocks in the UK for most things and Spain for others where the parts are not hard to find. My friend happens to have the larges supplies of spares for these in the world. So again I should know. If anyone is having problems obtaining items I can help. For example locating the more unique parts for the super dashboard.

Justasantanaowner (02-03-2022)
Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Some photos

Here are some random photos. They are not the best.

Attached Thumbnails New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-4-.jpg   New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-1-.jpg   New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-5-.jpg   New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-6-.jpg   New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-8-.jpg  

New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-7-.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 02:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Another photo

It has some dings and minor dents but for the price I paid I can take care of that and still be pretty far ahead.

Attached Thumbnails New Defender owner (Santana, actually)-%24_57-9-.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

A very nice truck indeed, one advantage to leafs is you can do a SOA.

terryjm1 (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Soa

I am guessing that means spring over axle. I was considering that as a low cost lift. Any thoughts in that?

Old 06-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Default L85 gearbox - built in Spain for Land Rover

I have been doing more internet research. Some interesting trivia (according to the web research) is that Santana built and exported to the UK all LT85 gearboxes used in Land Rover's built up until 1991.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Defender owner (Santana, actually)