Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

A new sound from my 1986 110 Defender...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new sound from my 1986 110 Defender...

Greetings to all, I need help figuring out what this new noise is. Here is where it's coming from and what I can tell you. First off it's a 1986 110. It makes no matter what speed I'm driving, but most of the time its at low speed. It sounds like a gear is bearly making contact with its corresponding parts. If I stop and restart the sound goes away. But then a short time later it returns. I have found the at the poorer the road conditions the worse it gets. I took the panel out from between the two front seats so I could get a good listen. It sounds like the noise is coming from the front of the transfer case. Around the front drive shaft. I hope someone can help. Thanks again for your help!!

David Mays
Berat, Albania

Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A new sound from my 1986 110 Defender...

Could be the front transfer box output shaft bearing breaking up - but sound travels well across solid stuff like gearboxes. If it was that bearing, and it's badly worn, I'd expect the noise to change with road speed.

Try this: Park the car, chock all four wheels with something substantial, put it in neutral and release the handbreak. Crawl underneath(standard disclaimer about chocking all four wheels just in case - if your truck runs you over because you haven't chocked the wheels it ain't my fault!) and push the front propshaft at the transfer box drive flange end upwards to see how much play there is in the bearing. Anything over a milimeter or two is too much and you'll likely need to replace the bearing. The rear prop is more difficult to diagnose as the drum from the handbrake will obscure it. In either case, if the bearing is badly worn or failing the oil seal is probably on it's way out too and you'll be able to see an oil leak from either the front or rear drive flange on the transfer box. Replacing the bearing isn't too hard and the bits are cheap. If it's the bearing and you don't replace it, when it fails it will probably trash the transfer box which is very expensive.

While you're under the truck and fiddling with the props, check for play in the UJ bearings with a big flat bladed screwdriver - put the tip in between the yokes and gently try to lever them apart - if there's any movement that you can see, the bearings will need replacing.

May as well regrease them and the sliding section of the props while you're there

Let me know how you get on,