Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Total Newbie! Engine ID question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:04 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Newbie! Engine ID question

Hello,
I just bought a 1974 Series III with a non-turbo diesel from a 90/110. I love it. It does have some issues, however... The engine needs a valve cover gasket and an oil pan gasket.I'm pretty clueless on these engines, and I am wondering how I can find out the year of the engine, to make sure I get the right gaskets (unless they are all the same). The engine has "HRC 1474" on the top (intake manifold) and 23H4 on the side of the engine block.
I have several other questions:
What field service manual do you suggest and source?
What oil should be used in the diesel?
It has the overdrive (stock tranny), but it keeps popping out of gear into neutralafter about 5 minutes of operation. Any suggestions? The linkage is clear of any obstructions.
Many thanks in advance.
Chuck

[IMG]local://upfiles/1683/ED37B1F5B73548A7A2BEA3C8EC1F68C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 PM
8th Gear
Default RE: Total Newbie! Engine ID question

Here is a pic of the engine.
Thanks,
Chuck

[IMG]local://upfiles/1683/14464D6A329F4E04AA547382E956A3B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey, looks like the same engine I have in my 1986 110. I believe its a 2.5 liter. As far as oil I would go with a 20W/50 it's going to take about 8 and a half liters. Just curious, do you have a pre fuel filter just above the right front wheel well and then a final filter before going into the fuel system?

David

Old 06-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame about the Defender front end on the series III - the original SIII front end was the best looking of the lot IMHO.

If it's a Defender engine, i.e. post 1984 it will be a 2.5 - the bits you're after (valve cover and sump gaskets) are common between the old 2.25 and the 2.5 Diesels anyway.

Need more information on the OD problem. For a completely stock transmission you should have 3 levers - tallest one is main gearbox, yellow topped one is 4WD lever and red topped one is transfer box for changing from Hi ratio to Low ratio 4WD. Series landies aren't permanent 4WD, and using them in 4WD on the road will very quickly wind the diffs up and break something, usually a halfshaft or driving member, but occasionally the rear diff or, worst case, the transfer box.

Positions of levers are:
Red stick forwards, yellow stick up - Hi range, 2WD
Red stick forwards, yellow stick down - Hi range, 4WD
Red stick backwards (yellow stick now inoperable) - Lo range, 4WD
There is no position possible for Lo Range 2WD - it's not available.

Seriously - don't drive it on tarmac in 4WD!

If you have an extra stick, that will be an OD unit - you'll need to refer to the manufacturers instructions on stick positions to be sure on what is doing what.

Hope that helps some,

Old 06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
8th Gear

ADZ - Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you on the looks of the SIII. This truck was cheap and it had a diesel, which I like. So, I thought I would get it to learn about the SIII, diesels, Defenders, etcbefore stepping up to something more $$. The overdrive question probably belongs over in the Series forum, but since you have spoken up, I appreciate the help. All of the levers (tranny, transfer case, and the yellow 4WD shifter) work correctly, except for the overdrive. After about 10 minutes of driving while in 4'th gear and overdrive engaged, the overdrive gearbox pops out into neutral. The linkage is not binding on anything. Any suggestions? I will shamelessly crosspost this in the Series forum. Thanks!
Chuck

Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling

Sorry mate - OD's I know next to nothing about - mines a 1993 Defender Tdi 5 speed that'll do 80 on the flat (90 if I wind the fueling up ) never had an OD.

A mate of mine is fitting one to his SIII 3.5 V8 next week some time - I'll ask him to have a think about it.

Cheers,

Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 AM
8th Gear

I wonder if I can mate a 5 speed to my diesel and get the geometry to work out with the drive shafts, etc... hmmm....
Cheers,
Chuck

Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling

You can mate the LT77 to your engine very easily - but that is only the start of the problems...

You'll need the LT230 transfer box to mate to the gearbox and the LT230 is permanent 4WD, unlike the series one. Unless you were prepared to run it with the front prop disconnected (bit pointless unless you never need to use 4WD) or were to fit Defender/Disco1/Range Rover axles front and rear (would be problematic as they're all coil sprung, so you'd need to do some serious modification of the chassis to fit coils, or serious modification of the axles to fit leaf springs) leaving it running permanent 4x4 would wind one of the diffs up man style until something popped - usually a rear half shaft, but sometimes one or other of the diffs.

I've got a mate with a series III and more or less the same idea and problem. Last 'solution' we thought up was a sliding splined section in the front prop that could be moved with a big solenoid to engage or disengage the prop for when 2WD or 4WD were needed. Getting it machined will most likely be prohibitively expensive, I'll let you know how we get on with it if you're interested

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 AM
2nd Gear

dear iriwater
i'm emailing you from Normandy, France where i hope you can save me any more lost sunday mornings from "land rover" mania...
My darling husband (yes, sorry I am a girl - is that allowed on land rover forums?) has bought "us" a left hand drive lwb with yes you've guessed it HRC 1474 stamped on the engine.
I've read your post, but did you ever find out who the manufacturer is of your engine? and if so would you care to share? and could you give me any more info which will help him carry out the necessary repairs etc.
Nice and sunny if rather cold in Normandy....
Many thanks and happy new year
i love land rovers really............
land rover widow

Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

land rover widow -

see Land Rover Manuals - and there are other sites with piles of files on all things Rover. Think of it as "Brit Lit" and you are expanding his horizons. Ignore occasional less that gentlemanly language that can pop up whilst wrenching.

Quick Reply: Total Newbie! Engine ID question