Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

[HELP] Center Differential Lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default [HELP] Center Differential Lock

I started to tackle this thing again, as you guys know I was bested by rivets last time. Well I said "Forget You" to them and finally got them out. What the heck.. somebody messed with it and didn't bother to put the pieces back..

Where can I get those bolts and pieces?

I turned that middle nut clockwise and counter clockwise. No go. I even went under and tried to move it by hand. No go. I sprayed that thing with WD-40, then degreaser, then washed it all off with a water bottle then WD-40 again. Gahh this is frustrating.

Car was in neutral and I could shift it from hi and low. But I couldn't shift it to the locked position (left). How can I get this thing working? And should I just buy another shifter assembly instead of hunting for bolts and stuff?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats a center diff lock?

Just kidding... Does the shifter move or is it frozen?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bolts will be an easy find, its the top plate you need to locate, as when you grease it, it'll keep the grease in there. when you get a case reseal kit, it actually puts gaskets on top and bottom of the shifter assembly to stop it from seaping out, so when your done you may want to get some gasket paper and make your own, its easy to do. that being said, ive got a frozen shifter complete sitting in my garage, if you want it for parts or to attempt to free up, shoot me a pm.
as for the frozen nut down there, pop the linkage off and try, it can be really difficult with it all hooked up. if that doesnt work, pop the 3 bolts off and pull the actually shifter mechanism off the transfer case, see if that's frozen or not.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Mudding
Default OUCH! Ft shaft dieing

The CV is a KIA. And we're not talking a small, Korean import...So, I would really like to pull the ft shaft so as to render the D2 operable while waiting for reinforcements. I was reading elsewhere, that by turning the 12mm lug on top of the T-case 1/4 turn toward the pass side will lock out the AWD...
SOoo, b4 I go off and start turning things, I was wondering when turning the lug 1/4 turn to the pass side, are we going clockwise or counter clockwise viewing from the top? As in looking down at it.
To be quite honest, I haven't even verified that there is a lug in that location. Which then brings us to the next query, is the CDL lug the only one there, meaning that it has CDL, or just a non CDL lug and I'm going to blow-up my case if I drive it...
It's like the first really nice Sat of the spring...I would really like to go for adrive...
All help, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Mudding
Default more on...ft shaft dieing

I crawled down under and found what "feels" like a square lug, though smaller than 12mm, directly over the ft yoke on the T-case(tail end of the ft shaft). Is that the CDL lug? And does turning it simply lock the ft yoke? If so, then would it be safe to assume that, w/ the ft shaft removed, the yoke would NOT turn while the rig is driving...? Hence, sparing the T-case any damage.
Thanks

Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Whats a center diff lock?

Just kidding... Does the shifter move or is it frozen?
You scared me there for a second man! haha
And as in does it move left and right up and down? yeah it does.

Originally Posted by dansgt
Bolts will be an easy find, its the top plate you need to locate, as when you grease it, it'll keep the grease in there. when you get a case reseal kit, it actually puts gaskets on top and bottom of the shifter assembly to stop it from seaping out, so when your done you may want to get some gasket paper and make your own, its easy to do. that being said, ive got a frozen shifter complete sitting in my garage, if you want it for parts or to attempt to free up, shoot me a pm.
as for the frozen nut down there, pop the linkage off and try, it can be really difficult with it all hooked up. if that doesnt work, pop the 3 bolts off and pull the actually shifter mechanism off the transfer case, see if that's frozen or not.
Cool, can I order that plate somewhere? I'll search online. And I'll PM you when I get more in depth. After my initial struggle I stopped and took a bro-eak. Basically ordered some pizza, invited some friends over, and watched Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol haha

Oh and pop the linkage from the bottom near the bolt or at the top? Sorry if it's a DA question but I don't want to screw things up down there 0.0

Originally Posted by onewingman
The CV is a KIA. And we're not talking a small, Korean import...So, I would really like to pull the ft shaft so as to render the D2 operable while waiting for reinforcements. I was reading elsewhere, that by turning the 12mm lug on top of the T-case 1/4 turn toward the pass side will lock out the AWD...
SOoo, b4 I go off and start turning things, I was wondering when turning the lug 1/4 turn to the pass side, are we going clockwise or counter clockwise viewing from the top? As in looking down at it.
To be quite honest, I haven't even verified that there is a lug in that location. Which then brings us to the next query, is the CDL lug the only one there, meaning that it has CDL, or just a non CDL lug and I'm going to blow-up my case if I drive it...
It's like the first really nice Sat of the spring...I would really like to go for adrive...
All help, greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Uhhh bro, no idea what you're talking about. And from my observation that nut on the Transfer Case is a 13mm. And if you're turning the nut to the "passenger" side then it's towards the right facing down the hole. That is if you have an "American" Disco. Sorry lack of vocab on how to describe most of our Rovers at the moment haha

Last edited by calebbo; 04-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Mudding

Thanks, Calebbo, I appreciate the vocabulary problems. In the "other" post that referenced the square "nut" on top of the T-case, they said you could lock the dif by turning that "nut"/Bolt" allowing the rig tio be driven w/ the ft shaft removed. Are you aware of any way of accomplishing this?
Thanks

Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by onewingman
Thanks, Calebbo, I appreciate the vocabulary problems. In the "other" post that referenced the square "nut" on top of the T-case, they said you could lock the dif by turning that "nut"/Bolt" allowing the rig tio be driven w/ the ft shaft removed. Are you aware of any way of accomplishing this?
Thanks
look at my second picture, that's the nut.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Mudding

Thanks, Again, one last thing: on verifying I did this right... I really don't wanna blow-up my tc...does the ft yoke rotate after turning the bolt the 1/4 turn and I guess is a 1/4 turn correct. I've been unsuccessfully searching the archives for this info...

Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Mudding

Never mind...mine's a'00...

Quick Reply: [HELP] Center Differential Lock