Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

[HELP] Center Differential Lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a fix solution... Just replace the shifter...
DISCOVERY TRANSFER CASE HIGH LOW 4WD SHIFTER COMPLETE | eBay

Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Yes. From the top down, clockwise to engage.

Walt, are you 100% sure of that?

I distinctly remember when I freed mine up, I was actually attempting to loosen that center nut (CCW rotation) and the entire linkage lurched toward the driver's seat. After I freed it up, it was easy to move the linkage. Moving the shifter toward the drivers seat engages the CDL, unlock is by moving it toward the passengers seat. The shifter moves several inches between each setting.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-23-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Walt, are you 100% sure of that?

I distinctly remember when I freed mine up, I was actually attempting to loosen that center nut (CCW rotation) and the entire linkage lurched toward the driver's seat. After I freed ikt up, it was easy to move the linkage. Moving the shifter toward the drivers seat engages the CDL, unlock is by moving it toward the passengers seat. The shifter moves several inches between each setting.
Yeah, he's right. Its cause the bar that connects the shifter to the CDL is a see-saw type deal.

Because of that, when you move the shifter towards the drivers seat the top of that bar moves that way too, but the bottom of it (where that little "C" piece calebbo refs in his vid connects) moves to the passenger side. This results in the CDL wheel turning clockwise.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Default Here's some pics of it

Here's a series of pics of it torn apart. When the top of the shift lever moves left the bottom of that upper portion extends toward the passenger's side. This motion transmits to the bottom of the linkages which rotates the selector plate CCW and engages the CDL.

I replaced the part with the internal splines and all the clevis pins and c clips, the cleaned and packed the upper box with Lucas Red Heavy Duty Synthetic Tractor Grease and reassembled. That was on the dates on the pics and it has worked "smooth as butter" ever since. The proof is in the pics.

Webshots Rides offers thousands of the best car wallpapers.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Note to CalebBo: See what a clean selector plate looks like?

Compare that to your picture.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it works! Long story short I drove it to school, messed with it in the parking lot during some free time and turned it all the way to the right, then as I was driving to school it kept lurching like I was skipping when I made turns. So I stopped looked at it and remembered I messed with the nut. I turned it back to the left and drove home. Tested the cdl by putting the car in neutral with the emergency brake off. I jacked up one wheel and turned it by hand and it spun. Turned the nut to the right and the wheel did not spin. No light though, so I probably need to get to that switch. Where is it at exactly? Danny told me on a phone call but I can't remember. He said looking Down at the nut it should be down towards the rear of the car I believe? I could be wrong but I thought it was under the nut and plate that is held by three screws. Oh well now I know it's my linkage that is the issue and not my transfer case.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Z
Here's a fix solution... Just replace the shifter...
DISCOVERY TRANSFER CASE HIGH LOW 4WD SHIFTER COMPLETE | eBay

Ed, apparently you failed to look at the "compatability info". That linkage IS NOT THE SAME AS CALEBBO'S 95 OR MY 97.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Yeah, he's right. Its cause the bar that connects the shifter to the CDL is a see-saw type deal.

Because of that, when you move the shifter towards the drivers seat the top of that bar moves that way too, but the bottom of it (where that little "C" piece calebbo refs in his vid connects) moves to the passenger side. This results in the CDL wheel turning clockwise.
See the exploded view on Rovers North page for Levers- Linkages:
http://www.roversnorth.com/c-327-levers-linkage.aspx

Look at the pics in my pic link and above in this thread. The top section actually pivots such that movement of the shift lever towards the driver's seat results in the bottom of THE TOP SECTION moving toward the passenger's seat. You missed that portion of the linkage movement.

The end of the top section then connects via a clevis pin (item 21) to the long lever (item 18)the bottom of this lever connects to the connector link (item 31). That moves the selector assembly (item 35).

The cdl switch that grounds the circuit and lights up the dash indicator light is item 39, which I also had to replace. If you look at the pics in my link you will see that I completely disassembled this entire linkage, removed the upper box and tore it apart, replaced all the clevis pins and circlips and the piece at the top with the internal splines.

I worked on it for over two weeks in December of 2007, restored it to full functionality and it has worked fine ever since. However my memory may be a little fuzzy. But the drawing referenced above and my pics show a lot of details.

How many of you have had yours apart to that degree? And put it back together sucessfully?

Caleb, did you see what I mean by clean?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-23-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah I saw, I'll be spraying with simple green and taking my water hose to the t-case as soon as I get that linkage out!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench

I got a huge thing of Rust-oleum and some other knick knacks. Taking that linkage out tomorrow hopefully and soaking that thing in that special rust remover!

Quick Reply: [HELP] Center Differential Lock