Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1994 Disco "partially immobilised??"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Disco "partially immobilised??"

I very recently purchased a 1994 Discovery (my first rover) well in the process of giving it a solid working over (cleaned all egr related tubing and filter, cleaned air flow meter and as much of the plenum i could acesss without removing it, new air filter, new oil and filter, new plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and a very thorough washing of the undercarriage and engine bay, including cleaning most electrical connetions i could unplug without breaking with QD spray and then waterproofing them with die-electric grease) well somehow i reactivated the alarm system i think because of disconnecting the battery. anyway now it won't start and judging from all my tireless research on the situation over the weekend it is only partially immobilised. The starter turns, the engine gets spark at all 8 plugs, the fuel pump turns on, the transmission is locked in parked, and upon attempting to start the hazzards flash and horn sound(well it would if i still had the fuse in) in troubleshooting the alarm system I noticed the drivers side door actuator was missing so I purchased one from the local dealer it should be here in 2 days the mechanic there was pretty certain that would solve the problem, but no gurantees. does anybody have any further advice on the situation?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i immobilized my 1996 disco last week. it would only run the starter, no fuel pump or spark. a local british mechanic told me to disconnect BOTH battery leads and touch them together. make sure you don't touch the battery posts while you do this.
i did it, reconnected the battery and it started right up.
your problem sounds a bit different, but this is worth a try.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mobilization Options

Originally Posted by ara25
I very recently purchased a 1994 Discovery (my first rover) well in the process of giving it a solid working over (cleaned all egr related tubing and filter, cleaned air flow meter and as much of the plenum i could acesss without removing it, new air filter, new oil and filter, new plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and a very thorough washing of the undercarriage and engine bay, including cleaning most electrical connetions i could unplug without breaking with QD spray and then waterproofing them with die-electric grease) well somehow i reactivated the alarm system i think because of disconnecting the battery. anyway now it won't start and judging from all my tireless research on the situation over the weekend it is only partially immobilised. The starter turns, the engine gets spark at all 8 plugs, the fuel pump turns on, the transmission is locked in parked, and upon attempting to start the hazzards flash and horn sound(well it would if i still had the fuse in) in troubleshooting the alarm system I noticed the drivers side door actuator was missing so I purchased one from the local dealer it should be here in 2 days the mechanic there was pretty certain that would solve the problem, but no gurantees. does anybody have any further advice on the situation?
Do you have the Key Fob? Because you should be able to re-set it with the Key Fob.

The first thing I would try is the following:
  1. Open the Vehicle manually with the key (the alarm will be going off the whole time) and open the bonnet (it is extremely Important to leave the bonnet and the door open or you may be locked out).
  2. Disconnect the main 12 volt vehicle battery.
  3. Put key in ignition and turn to position II.
  4. Reconnect the Battery.(window unset alarms will be going off)
  5. Start the engine then push the lock and unlock buttons on the key while the engine is running.
  6. Open and close all the windows to reset them.
  7. You are done
If that had no affect on your situation, or you do not have the fob, you will probably need to follow the EKA Procedure - assuming you have the security code for your vehicle (should be in your owners manual - and is typically used to unlock your radio)
To initiate the procedure, one must first turn the key anticlockwise (locking the car) 4 times. The 4-digit EKA code can then be entered- first clockwise, then anti, etc. After all 4 numbers have been entered, turn once more clockwise to unlock the vehicle, disarm the alarm, and re-mobilise the engine.

Check this site for additional information and specific steps:

http://www.rangerovers.net/newrremedies.htm#alarm

Then here for Diagnosis and Mobilization options:

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ecm/alarm.html

Good luck!

Last edited by groundandpound; 03-07-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Specific Steps for EKA
Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i don't have the key fob or factory stereo if replacing the missing driver's side door actuator doesn't work i was gonna buy a replacement key fob but I am not sure the vehicle will let me access the ecu to program it since it is partially immobilised(probably will get one either way) the mechanic at the local land rover said that on my year rover the driver's side door actuator sends the "ok to start" signal to the alarm ecu not the little switch around the lock cylinder. the part of the problem that particually puzzles me is that it is only partially immobilised