Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Discovery Losing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Discovery Losing Oil

Hello!

I've got a 1995 Discovery, I've got a problem with the oil, it seems to be disappearing but not leaking or being burnt...

There is no smoke at all from the exhaust, when driving, revving or idling, there is also no leaks at all underneath. But the Engine oil only lasts about 2 days and it's gone, I checked it on Friday and it was empty, nothing on the stick, I filled it to the FULL mark, Again, no smoke or oil smell, or leaks... and today (Sunday) it is once again almost empty, so far it has done almost 6 Liters in 2 days.

The Turbo was my suspect, but it seems alright, only a small amount of oil in the intercooler pipe, but if it was letting 5L on oil through the Turbo, it would smoke like hell. So the oil has got to be going somewhere but where?

Can anyone throw some light on this situation please?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In the coolant? Would show up in reserve bottle, if one of the older black plastic ones, dip in a rolled up paper towel.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Mudding

I hate when that happens !

Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

re: there is also no leaks at all underneath

Because it is empty.... Any oil spots on back glass or bumper, it might be blown out whilst motoring and not whilst parked. Dunno about the diesels but the V8s have an oil cooler that runs thru the radiator.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM
4wd Low

It's not empty though

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If nothing is dripping on the ground then there are only 2 possible answers, your engine is burning it or it is leaking into the coolant system. If it is not in the coolant then I would start with a compression test, possibly both wet on dry and if need be a leak down test.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If nothing is dripping on the ground then there are only 2 possible answers, your engine is burning it or it is leaking into the coolant system. If it is not in the coolant then I would start with a compression test, possibly both wet on dry and if need be a leak down test.
Mmm, the Coolant is oil free, and that doesn't go up or down.

I've been told by a few people today, that if the type of Engine oil used has changed, the engine some how soaks it up, then you have to top it up, is this something you have heard of?

I'm new to landrovers but not to Engines, and I've never had this happen before where my Engines have Soaked the oil up into gaskets etc...

Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RustySkull
Mmm, the Coolant is oil free, and that doesn't go up or down.

I've been told by a few people today, that if the type of Engine oil used has changed, the engine some how soaks it up, then you have to top it up, is this something you have heard of?

I'm new to landrovers but not to Engines, and I've never had this happen before where my Engines have Soaked the oil up into gaskets etc...
then it has to be burning the oil. an engine may 'soak' up some oil in gaskets or seals, but we're talking a couple mL's, not liters. not enough to even measure.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Not six liters in two days. That's almost an oil change. But who knows, surely by now it will have soaked up all it can. Oil leaks, like coolant leaks, are not always when parked. They can be dripped off and usually make spots or grime on the back hatch or bumper. Plus if you have brand new synthetic oil, it can be so colorless that it is hard to see even on the stick, and hard to see where a leak is around a gasket.

Or you could have an evil "friend" who is sneaking over to drain some each night.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Diesel or petrol?
If you switched oil brands it is common for the engine seals to "soak up" the new motor oil, once the seals get filled with the new oil it will stop.
This has happened to me more than once on many different cars.
Not as fast as yours is doing it, but still happened.

Quick Reply: 1995 Discovery Losing Oil