Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Disco Performance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:13 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

That truck was AbnMike's truck. Search the threads here and on discoweb to examine the issues he dealt with and how he solved the problems.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but an ECU re-set might get you going in the right direction. The altitude is obviously different and the adaptive values can get a 'fresh start' in the new environment.

RobertF has built a tool to re-set the ECUs but I'm not sure if it will work on a '96 w/o OBDII.

Last edited by WaltNYC; 11-01-2018 at 07:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jimdvr (11-04-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a sweet truck, I remember it years ago.

My stock, and I mean completely stock Disco struggles with hills in Colorado, I can imagine it would be a lot worse with 33s and all that weight plus an old tired motor.
I would say reset the ECU and it might help a little and check for codes.

Jimdvr (11-04-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

a name brand (Matco etc..) Compression gauge can be had pretty cheap on ebay.
Great looking rig - love the Round headlights

Old 11-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
That truck was AbnMike's truck. Search the threads here and on discoweb to examine the issues he dealt with and how he solved the problems.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but an ECU re-set might get you going in the right direction. The altitude is obviously different and the adaptive values can get a 'fresh start' in the new environment.

RobertF has built a tool to re-set the ECUs but I'm not sure if it will work on a '96 w/o OBDII.
It will work, a 96 is GEMS and OBDII. I agree with a reset of the adaptives and altitude difference. I would absolutely think about upping the thirds ratio and possibly going 4.6 crank and rods. I can't believe it's still misfiring, we went around and around trying to figure out why on this forum, the motor has been well sorted out. I'll find the thread and post it up. Now we know who paid the five digits.......

Jimdvr (11-04-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by corbinwelter
That's a sweet truck, I remember it years ago.

My stock, and I mean completely stock Disco struggles with hills in Colorado, I can imagine it would be a lot worse with 33s and all that weight plus an old tired motor.
I would say reset the ECU and it might help a little and check for codes.
The motor was rebuilt, it's the least tired of any I know of. Mike pulled a trailer with toys. Any Rover motor/trans struggles, especially with 3.54's in the pigs. That's a grocery getter ratio.

Jimdvr (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info fellas ... I will work on some of these ideas and let you know.... I am going to try and run codes tomorrow// see if i get anything....... talked to a disco shop here in town and they suggested throwing in a new chevy motor... sigh

Old 11-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimdvr
Thanks for the info fellas ... I will work on some of these ideas and let you know.... I am going to try and run codes tomorrow// see if i get anything....... talked to a disco shop here in town and they suggested throwing in a new chevy motor... sigh
I agree with every one else that it's not a hot rod. I live at 2500ft and drive up to 8k feet at times and its not a powerful motor. I rebuilt mine too just about a thousand miles ago and while it does have "more" power it's still a slow lane crawl up some of the grades I have to go up and that's on stock tire sizes. If you got no codes, its not overheating and your rocking those big tires then ya sounds like everything works fine to me.
And I have used robertf's program to reset my adaptive values, its easy to use and works.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy

New LS, I like that shop already and suggest you become very friendly with them......... take the owner out for drinks.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry but I am seeing a big missing part here. Unless I missed it we never got it confirmed that the engine is revving freely. You say 30-35 if your lucky? at what rpms and what gear?
I have pulled a 5000 lb trailer up a big hill outside of town and it did it fine as long as I used 3rd or even 2nd. (short hill and maxed at about 50 mph)

My money is on a fuel pump in a slow death spiral. Or a filter... cause remember, these are old but free revving (British) race car engines.
anyone else?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine does rev fine and is not overheating.... no codes last week but now I am getting an evaporative system code P0441 evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow.... What the hell does that mean?

Quick Reply: 1996 Disco Performance Issue