Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 Discovery SE7 Ignition Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Discovery SE7 Ignition Lock Issue

I just bought a 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE7. I am having an issue with the ignition key not turning the ignition switch.

I read the post on removing the ignition lock and grinding down the tumblers but I found an entire new switch assembly for $57; however, it says it is for a manual transmission model.....

Is there a difference between the manual transmission switch and the automatic transmission ignition switch ?

This is my first Land Rover. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions !

Thanks !
Fred

Old 12-03-2015, 04:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey there Fred, I had the same issue.
The ignition assembly your looking at will in fact work with your truck, it's your only cost effective option. One wiring connection won't be on it, and you loose a common sense safety item. Your salesman can fill you in on that safety issue when purchasing, I purchased mine through Lucky8 and spoke with Erik there.

Bottom line it works, little to no side effects.
Getting the old one off is a PIA.

Last edited by Detoured Discovey; 12-03-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will do 5 min less work and spend $57 more going the route you are going/
EDIT I'm wrong, you will spend more time ordering or picking the part up than it will take to file a few brass parts.

Last edited by Gimebakmybulits; 12-08-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that's a very inconvenient solution. While secure, now you have two keys to worry about, and since this is a very common problem, who's to say the problem doesn't resurface with the used one? Also, you have to drill out a little metal plug to remove it, and unless you epoxy it back in or some other such foolishness it will just fall back out again as soon as it is messed with.

I took out the lock cylinder and just pulled all the U shaped brass key followers with a pair of needle nose pliers, and put it back in. Took all of a half an hour. $0.00 cost, problem solved. Of course, now you can start it with anything that fits in the key slot, but for me that's a feature, not a bug. It saved me on multiple occasions when for one boneheaded reason or another I was sans key.

The thing is, these trucks are pretty easy to steal, if you are committed and have a little knowledge. That pretty much goes for cars in general. But realistically, what thief in their right mind would focus in on a beat up twenty year old rig? Lots of Mercs, Beemers and Audis to park next to at my local mall and my truck is invisible. Plus, it's just the nature of the universe that a caught burglar would be way more likely to ingest a can of whoop-a*s*s in the parking served up by an irate working stiff driving a beater than some lawyer in a BMW. Heh, I don't even bother locking it most of the time.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Winching
Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

When I got my D1 it had two keys. One for ignition and one for everything else. Took the ignition switch out, put the everything else key in, then filed off the brass tabs. Now one key does it all.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I have the manual tumbler in mine few buck with keys and my auto tumbler was cracked, if you change tumblers just unscrew the harness from the end of the tumbler saves changing wiring harness

Btw if not mentioned tumbler is held with security bolts