Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 D1 left front grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 D1 left front grinding noise

hello,

if you remember me, i finally got my disco up and running. ended up being the fuel pump module and wiring harness. NOW, just this morning, while i was making a left hand turn (full lock), i heard AND felt this incredible grinding sound coming from the left front wheel. i recently (friday night) performed a service on the diff's and t-case (new lube, synthetic, 80w-90); my next step was going to perform a service on the swivel ***** (new one-shot grease packs). the truck does not move either R or D unless you lock the CDL and then the truck moves. during full lock turns, the grinding sound returns. i am guessing the driver CV joint is totally shot. i have not opened the hub to inspect, but that is my guess and im pretty sure i am right. anyone else go through this before?

p.s. anyone looking for a 97 SE with 175k miles? LOL!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It could be a couple of things.
If you drive on dry roads with the CDL locked you will bind up the driveline.
If you can only drive with the CDL locked then either you are missing a propshaft or your t-case is bad.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Drifting

i did drive home about 10 miles with the CDL locked going at about 5-10 mph and taking it EASSSSYYY on the turns. can't do any more damage than what is already done. once i got home, i jacked up the front and spun each wheel forward and reverse; the pass. wheel is nice and quiet (normal amount of noise); the driver's wheel though exhibits a lot of clunking sound even at the hand-speed. the front driveshaft also has a fair amount of play, about 1/4-1/2 turn. the rear driveshaft is solid though. my wife also said she could here the clunking/chunking sound while she followed me home from the base. any ideas?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Sounds like a bad CV joint.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Drifting

i am hoping it is JUST a bad cv joint. i read the service manual and it seems pretty complex. what should i expect if i were to undertake this project? what supplies would i need besides a new cv joint assembly and the one-shot grease packet?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

I'd do the wheel bearings and a swivel reseal kit too.
The CV's not bad priced, $130 at AutoZone.
There are swivel ball seal kits with wheel bearings on e-bay for cheap, they include the one shot grease.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

LAND ROVER PARTS - CV JOINT REPLACEMENT KIT DEF 90 & DISCOVERY I 24SP

Of course that won't do you any good if you need it RIGHT NOW.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Drifting

thank you for the link to the parts kit. would i need to also replace the inner shaft or just the cv joint side of the axle shaft? is it worth replacing the other cv joint as preventive maintenance? better now than later i guess right?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Mudding

Get the kit from these guys. $150 for one side and it comes with all the seals you needand the one shots of grease. You would have to get new wheel bearings separate but they are cheap from Autozone if you didn't get them from DAP. I did mine in about 3 hours on each side. Second side went faster than the first just because I knew exactly how to pull it apart. The kit part # is PK100. These guys are awesome to work with and you get your stuff pretty quick.

Parts Kits - D.A.P. Enterprises

Last edited by jbriggs; 05-10-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Drifting

thanks jbriggs!! since i gotta do this fix its time to re-register the ol' Sanford and Son '89 dodge dakota (206k, starts every time!!). you mentioned wheel bearings from autozone. do you have the part number for the bearings? do i only pick up the bearings or the bearings and races together? also use synthetic bearing grease im assuming?

Quick Reply: 1997 D1 left front grinding noise