Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 Disco cold start issues and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Disco cold start issues and stalling

hey there everybody, here is a link to previous recent issues

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37379

last 3 times out have had really hard time starting.......start eventually by not returning to 1 position just flicking key from 2 to start big huff stumble when started......then wait few minutes for warm up......like maybe 3 minutes then take off .....heard a whirrrrrr from under passagenger foot area for maybe 60 secs
it has been cold so I turn the blower on low to start heat......rover stumbles a little........but driver another 100 yards and shuts off....coast into parking lot , turn off heat and lights and restart.....start with no problem notice temp gauge still at bottomed out position turn heat and lights on it dies,,,,,,turn both off again and it restarts no problem......turn on lights and drive in circles around block with heat off till temp up like quarter inch....turn on heat ......no problems go about running errands and have no problems now that its warm at all......stop three times at stores restart no problem,,,,now this morning go out to start not starting....sound great when warmed up perfect even........

had been having misfire low cat eff codes
last week and regapped the plugs to .038 which elliminated codes ......anyone have any ideas?? thinking a temp sensor of some sort
have no lights.....no codes.......

Power steering fluid is low....it is leaking apparently.........

thanks !!!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the engine. You need a TDI and your problem will be solved.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be as simple as some water in the fuel tank, or a dirty fuel filter

Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Default new info

purge tube? from plenum to engine was disconnected I reconnect to engine nipple and it collapsed what trying to find info on what this does normally ..

Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Timebus
purge tube? from plenum to engine was disconnected I reconnect to engine nipple and it collapsed what trying to find info on what this does normally ..
If you are talking about the passenger side hose going from the valve cover to the intake that is the PCV system.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9205G.cfm
That little plastic weird looking thingy is the oil separator, it goes inside the valve cover, it needs to be removed and cleaned.
Use needle nose pliers to pull it out, clean it with carb cleaner, let it dry and put it back.
In the mean time take that rubber hose to the autoparts store and buy 1 ft of new hose.
Put one end on the valve cover and then cut to fit, you will not want it to kink when you put it on.
You may need to use a small hose clamp to hold it on the engine.
I replaced mine with old lawn mower gas line 4 years ago and take it off twice a year and clean it.

EDIT:Positive
Crankcase
Ventalation

It sucks the blow-by and water vapor and other gases out of the crank case and into the engine to be burned.
In the old days they vented this to atmosphere, but of course that is bad for the environment.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Spike!! I was wondering how to get that thing off it almost looked like a valve to me earlier...and I was having a hard time locating that piece being called anything... the hose itself is mentioned a bunch....thanks for the link that really helps to see it out

Installed Kingsbourne 8mm wires and switched to Champion Plat 2 plugs today while I was tinkering.... runs like completely different truck.......very happy bout that the wires.... clicked into place felt 10 times better than the first ones I bought I read that you had them once.....for the price they are very nice/ numbered/ YelloW / easy to get a grip on.....and the people I spoke with were super nice too .......gonna go clean that separator.......now.....

Spike any suggestions or thoughts about flushing the engine or cleaning somehow.....it seems quite dirty in there... the oil i put in couple weeks ago.....im ready to get out of there in maybe 2-4wks.......................Question/thoughts....is this separator (being clogged) the cause of all the gunk? and /or cause of leaks from engine? Just as opening the axle breather stopped leaks from swivels? am i making sense?

Thanks!!

tomorrow we are hobby shop bound...for brakes,rotors,bearings & front axle breather (which had been melted shut on the engine) I think I must love this truck!!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Default im back

ok so I pulled the separator and it was completely blocked on bottom two ridges....with AN ALMOST PLASTIC LIKE gunk I cleaned it and put it back in .....and have a question.....

whats on the other side of that hole exactly? when i look down there with flashlight i see what looks like honeycomb from a beehive...the piece only goes in so that the top ridge/disc is above the opening... wont go in more....hooked hose up and started .....and there is a loud hissing now from that hose.....and still partial collapse....so ...what is that thing on the other side? do i pour seafoam down there? try to get it out?

Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The hose is collapsing because the engine is trying to suck air through it.
Replace that hose if you havent already.
The oil separator is only supposed to go in about that far.
You could spray carb cleaner into the hole it goes in but then change the oil the next day.
To clean the engine, diesel oil, it is cheap and highly detergant.
Do not do a engine flush.
Diesel oil will slowly clean your engine as you drive.
Do 2-3 1,000 mile oil chnages with it and then go to every 5,000 miles.
I use Shell Rotella 15w-40.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2X ON spikes comments, AND if the pcv breather was really dirty....then theres a really good chance that the throttle body is dirty also, look in the tech section for a write-up on cleaning it, let us know how it goes

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My stealership never cleaned the separator and I ended up with a lot of margarine in the valve cover.
Here's why: the moisture in the valve cover wasn't vented out and condensed.
Also I was getting a lot of valve/lifter pinging noise when cold.
A complete top end was needed.
Moral of the story: clean the oil separator regularly. If it gets blocked it will cost you $,$$$.$$

SD

Quick Reply: 1997 Disco cold start issues and stalling