Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 Disco I ... what I learned from finding and entering radio CODE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1997 Disco I ... what I learned from finding and entering radio CODE

NOTE: my 1997 Discovery I has a Pioneer radio w/tape and CD exchanger.

I believed the most important point I learned is

that if you turn on the key to position 2 and leave the radio on with the "CODE" message on the LED for 90 minutes it will clear (reset) any improper prior code entry attempts. In short it "wipes the slate clean" so that entering the correct code after the 90 minute wait enables the code acceptance.

Example: If you picked the wrong code and entered it it would get denied. If you then tried to reenter it (thinking you might have miss keyed it) it too will get rejected. What the heck try it one more time was my response... again denied. As I understand the security system the radio is now in a mode that requires a 90 minute ON delay to clear the bad attempts.

NOW when you have acquired the correct CODE (in my case it was written down in a different location in the Owners Manual) WITH the 90 minute ON delay done entering the right code is just that easy 5 numbers and the radio works.

In summary: if you have entered the wrong 5 digit number three times you will NEED to leave the radio on for 90 minutes before even the right code will work.

Unless I'm corrected by those of you who have far more experience than this newbie I think it would be a good approach to go through the 90 min delay anyway.

Three more quick points.
1. you might need to contact a Land Rover dealer with the VIN number to get the correct code.
OR
2. there are companies on the internet that will (FOR A FEE) give you a code based on the serial number of your radio. This would be useful for anyone who has swapped out the OEM radio. Here is at least one site LANDROVER RADIO CODES | Online Landrover Radio Decoding, Guaranteed with Free Code Entry Help
3. you might need a special tool to remove your radio from the dash to locate the serial number. Google your radio and removal tool. Cost (less than $10.00)

Hope this helps others. I know it works for my OEM Pioneer radio.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Disco I ... what I learned from finding and entering radio CODE-lr97discoi.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the informative link Car Stereo Fitting | Car Stereo Removal | Remove Car Stereo Advice | Fit Car Stereo Help and RADIO CODE UK | Free Radio Removal Instructions and Help cheqbay ... Im off to get this radio out ,find the serial number and see how these links do there stuff.
keep you informed....Dark

Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Mudding

I wish my radio looked that nice. Some of the printing on my buttons are worn off. Good info, too.