Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 Discovery won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I read in the manual it does but only when its in neu. when you turn it on.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A D1 will make a chime when the t-case is in N and the truck is on. Well, it is supposed to anyway.

Nice when people post with no info and never come back. We need mileage and what lead up to this. I will bet he bought it like that and is trying to figure it out.

My buddy got one at an auction that was the same way. He told me about a clicking sound in gear, but no movement. Had a broken front shaft right at the t-case.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Info on '97 D1 that won't move

My wife was driving it and it started "acting up" like it was dropping out of gear or clunk/surging. It made it several miles and she was within yards of the house when the tranny stopped working - right before she got to the parking space.

It's a '97 with 143,000 miles and an automatic transmission - when I move the shift lever into Drive it makes a very little bit of noise like a spinning clutch wheel is not engaging (I know this doesn't have a clutch - I'm just giving you an idea of the sound it's making). Its a quiet noise - barely noticeable. But anyway - nothing happens. It does not make this noise in reverse or neutral. It will not move even a little under its own power. You can rev the engine in any gear, and nothing. I've tried shifting it into Low and High several times. Transmission fluid was low but I topped it off and still nothing. I checked the brakes and they work, plus all the lights are good. I checked the emergency brake and it is working/disengaged. The truck rolls freely if you get out and push, but absolutely no power to the tranny/transf case.

I had problems a week or so before this happened and was told - that particular problem was a speed sensor. I ordered one but it broke down as described above before it got fixed. I did not think the two could be related but I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks to all

John

Last edited by jalbright2000; 09-16-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like the transfer case is in neutral.
If you can push the truck with the transmission in park then the transfer case is in neutral.
Put the transfer case back into gear and you should be good to go.
That is the short shifter in front of the transmission gear shift.
it needs to be all the way back and to the right, the transmission must be in neutral to shift the transfer case.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually an automatic transmission does have clutch plates in the clutch pack..I think this might be more than just the transfer case out of gear..4HP22s are good transmission but they do go out like other transmissions. I would do everything you can do diagnose the problem but would also be on craigslist and rover forums keeping an eye out for used 4HP22 from a D1. good luck.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 09-16-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it possible he has broken the drive shaft?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Is it possible he has broken the drive shaft?
That was one of my first thoughts, but he mentions checking and topping off the transmission fluid... wait, this is a DI, which has a fill tube (?) Still, I would think something would be most likely hanging down and/or dragging the ground if a drive shaft had broken.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jalbright2000,

Have you tried locking the xfer case while the truck's off?

Then start it, see if it moves (gently)

As OKdisco said, if the front output shaft was broken, wouldn't lockup cause it to drive the rear?

Sounds possible based on the noise

luck,greg

Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a white towel to wipe the trans dip stick engine running look at the towel for metal shaving and to help determine the color of the fluid. Changing color from the red? Smell the fluid as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Start the truck, have someone keep their foot on the brakes and you look under the truck to see if one of the drive shafts is turning. If it is, that drive shaft's diff. is blown, be it the axle, spider gears or whatever.
This is so common, I am surprize to see everyone guessing about it.
Let me know what you see and I will then try and point you in the right direction.
By the way, will it move, just a little when the CDL is locked?

Quick Reply: 1997 Discovery won't go into gear