Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1997 Land Rover Discovery Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having a similar problem with my 97 Land Rover and im at my witts end with it, has ran beautiful all the way up until 2 months ago. I shut it off to run in a store came back out and it wouldnt start, just spin over, acted like it was running out of fuel. Opened the gas cap to make sure I had no vapor lock, waited about 15 mins and it started right up and ran great all the way home n for several weeks. I was driving it pulled into a shopping center shut it off about 30 mins later came out same issue, it never restarted at all I had it towed to a buddys shop n have replaced the fuel pump, Crank sensor, drained the fuel just in case I got bad gas last fill up, just ordered a Mass Air Flow sensor just in case it was going out? While replaceing the Crank sensor the cover fell apart in my hands, is it needed? I tried finding a replacement online with no luck? My fuel pump doesnt sound like it kicks on? My battery is about 3 years old, n is now dead? Could it keep the fuel pump from kicking on? Im so lost with this Rover n there is nobody within 100 miles of me that even works on them. Oh n the idle has been extremely high for a while now, my old mechanic in florida had to turn the idle all the way down for me to be able to get it home last time any help?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank sensor

Originally Posted by Spike555
Start with the fuel filter.
Then the multi function relay.
Then the fuel pump.
To check the crank sensor remove a spark plug, reattach the plug wire and have a friend crank the engine over, if there is no spark then it is a bad crank sensor.

So after you take off the spark plug where do you put the wire