Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1998 Disco Ball Joint / Tie Rod End

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Disco Ball Joint / Tie Rod End

How can I tell when the tie rod ends are too loose and worn? I am able to turn the stabilizer bar with my thumb and index finger. I am guessing that is not good. Also, is there a way to tighten a loose steering gear box?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have some one move you're steering wheel left to right about a quater turn. Watch the rod ends, there should be no play/slop between the body and shank of the ball joint.

The stabilizer bar mounts with a stud and nut at each end, so it will be able to be spun it it's mounts.

The steering box has a 19mm nut with a torx screw in the middle of it, right on top of the box. Put a torx driver on the screw to keep it from turning, loosen 19mm jam nut, tighten torx screw snug but not overly tight, the tighten up the jam nut. Drive, repeat as needed to remove play from box.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Overlanding

Thanks. I tried to tighten the steering gear box and must have tightened it a little too much. The steering felt very weird so I backed it off and it seems fine. I will have some one turn the wheel while I check the play as you said. There is a bad shaking sensation when I hit a bump and I basically have to slow down quickly to get it to stop. From what I understand and from responses from a post of mine years ago, That could be caused by a number of things. It may be time to take it to a Pro.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like something someone was jug covering recently in a thread. Swivel pin pre-load? Causes what everyone who's experienced them calls "death wobbles". I'm pretty sure that's the likely culprit. I think every one adjusts the preload in conjunction with doing the swivel pin bearings. I could be wrong. I think bad swivel pin bearings can cause death wobbles right?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
Sounds like something someone was jug covering recently in a thread. Swivel pin pre-load? Causes what everyone who's experienced them calls "death wobbles". I'm pretty sure that's the likely culprit. I think every one adjusts the preload in conjunction with doing the swivel pin bearings. I could be wrong. I think bad swivel pin bearings can cause death wobbles right?
Yep, I'm dealing with that right now...S.P pre-load and front hub bearings is my issue with the death wobble.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Usually death wobble on these trucks is either swivel pin preload or panhard rod bushings. Tie rod ends can cause it to but usually if they are bad the truck will just wonder all over the road. Also check the pitman arm nut(connects to the steering box), i just bought a 96 and the nut just was about to fall off of it causing some very bad steering issues. Easiest way of checking things like said before, have someone move the steering wheel while you inspect every joint for movement.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Overlanding

Death Wobble, What a great way to describe it. When I turn the wheels hard left or right, there is a rapid knocking sound from the wheel area as I accelerate, until I steer out of the turn. Could this be from swivel pin pre load as well?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The knocking sound on a sharp turn is probably a bad cv joint. For the wobble, I would try panhard and control arm bushings first(much easier and cheaper to do than a swivel ball rebuild).