Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

3 Bolt Flange Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great, thanks for all your help Tom. You are a true gentleman and a scholar on these LR's. And you build excellent electrical ground cables.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 06-27-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Baja

OK, I finally got the old 3 bolt flange off and I amm looking directly at the pinion.

Is there a simple way to remove the old seal? I have new ones, but cannot seem to figure out the removal of the existing seal, any help appreciated.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Baja

I ended up calling my good friend Will Tillery for a little free advice. I hate to bug him. but I went ahead and got him on the phone and got his advice to just go ahead and basically beat it out, which I did and also asked about the torque value for the new locknut. He told me as TIGHT AS YOU CAN GET IT.

So the new flange is mounted. Taking a lunch break, got to locate the new nuts I bought for the end that attaches to the Parking brake, then bolt it all back in place.

Sure will be happy to get this finished.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Baja
Default Finally finished it.

GUYS,

I FINALLY FINISHED MY REAR DRIVE/SHAFT CHANGE OVER.

All I can say is that sentering pin removal was the most trouble I have yet to encounter on this beast. Three days with a hacksaw and about six blades later, I got it removed.

The 4 bolt flange was a breeze, putting in the replacement shaft was a bit tricky due to the length (at first, the dhaft was extended an inch or so too long, then I was too eager in compressing it).

Finally manipulated it all back together.

Now to troubleshoot the AC cooling fans and plan on replacing the original highly corroded metal brake lines, especially the cluster just above that rear diff. I spent hours looking up at then as I calmly hacksawed my way thru that 3bolt flange and centering pin.

The first day was pretty bad, the second day was a chore, the third day was delusional. It was like Tom Hanks in that movie where he was shipwrecked. Just me and the hacksaw. Laying under the Rover. Glad it was at home in the driveway and not out on the trail somewhere. At least I had plenty of food and drink on hand.

I want to express my sincere thanks to both Tom in Georgia (Antichrist) and Cosmo on Orlando (Cosmic88) for their advice and help in getting this done as well as Paul Grant for a good deal on the used four bolt flange, Tom was a great source of small hard to find but correct parts as well as a finme pair of new starter and battery chassis ground cables and battery terminals at a fine price.

If you are experiencing ground cable corrosion issues, do yourself a favor and talk to Tom for the finest chassis ground cables available anywhere. You will be happy with his product and workmanship at a great price. A sure cure for those intermittent starter issues.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-11-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratz on getting her done!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Baja

I neglected to say that I screwed up on my original attempt to remove trhe centering pin using a 36mm socket, bolt, stack of washers, like a gear puller method. THE SCREW BROKE OFF, I DRILLED IT OUT, BOUGHT A TAP AND DIE SET AT HARBOR FREIGHT, GALLED THE TAP, TOOK THE SET BACK AND GOT A REFUND AND BOUGHT NEW HACKSAW BLADES. I WAS AFRAID TO GET UNDER THERE WITH MY BIG Y7ELLOW SAWSALL, SO ME AND THE HACKSAW BECAME ONE WITH THE ROVER.