Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

5 month old cracked Rotoflex

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. It is all fixed.
Name:  ef6ba107.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  47.5 KB

Here is the final cause. The alignment bushing that goes into the drive shaft was installed backwards. This was my fault so everyone pay attention. The spring seal side goes into the axle so the bonded rubber side is visible. Fill the inside with grease for proper movement as the rotoflex and axle move up and down. Also lube the boot with the zerk fitting on the other end of the shaft. Vibration is gone. Drives like a charm.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Nope. I was talking about (my theory, not a solid conclusion) only the rear shaft from the brake drum / txfer case rear output shaft to the roto / diff pinion flange. My wild theory is that in a way the two (fore and aft) flanges may, during rotation, when properly aligned / oriented in relation to each other, either cancel each other out (smooth rotation) or could be unbalanced (noticable vibrations) due to centrifugal forces. If two oposing flange lobes are in alignment with each other then their combined weight at high rotational speed would cause an unbalanced rotation...

If you look at the front prop shaft ( WM section 45, "Propshafts", Pg.1 ), it is made with an intentional mis-alignmet between the fore and aft u-joints causing a (as they call it) "Phased" rotation. SO my theory has a basis, I'm just not sure if that is what is truly causing Brad's Bad vibe. <--- that should have been the title of this thread
Some prop shafts are balanced. You will most likely see a small piece of steel welded for no apparent reason to the outside of the shaft. A good driveline shop will balance the main part of the shaft seperate from the short piece. That way if you put the two pieces back together with the splines off 180*,then you should hopefully not feel any vibration. However, if you get it off by 90 or 270*, then you could destroy the u-joints(or other couplings used) rather quickly.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to hear you got it all back together and have the bush correctly inserted now.!! little victories are great sometimes!

Hopefully it stays that way... and I only say that because as Chris Bob brought up, and since you seperated the two halves of the shaft at the splines, I just hope you were able to reassemble the halves at the correct position per the balancing weight (The small plate he refered to).

Even a 180* misalignment would cause the balancing weight to be off by the way.... like removing the balancing weights from your road wheel and placing them 180* opposite... you sure as hell would feel that.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Cosmo, and the RAVE does say to mark the alignment prior to dis-assembly so you can reinstall in the same orientation. My drive shaft has the little tab on the side. I had marked it a while back but ended up not taking it apart. I only unbolted the rotoflex end only and was able to force trhe shaft forward far enough to put in a "new" Rotoflex. I actually called Will Tillery and got a good used one from him a while back when I saw the cracks developing in mine.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

For the life of me I could not find any info on the rotoflex or the bolt torque. Where did you guys find that info? Also I am pretty sure it is good now. I had to beat the axle off with a hammer so I could remove the bushing again. When I reinstalled it I rotated it until it went on easy. I think I was a bit off last time. I was also in a hurry the first time I did this as it was on my rack at work and they dont like you working on your vehicle during the day. PFFT! I mean who is more important here?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Winching

LOL ... YOU ARE!!!

The ONLY manual which has a picture and description which is worth a damn is the D II workshop manual.

Section 47 page 5 - 7

took a while to find it but I feel like sharing....

Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good to know!

And let me take a moment to thank everyone for their help. Except for the oil viscosity lesson which did absolutely nothing to help the situation.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Winching

Brad, you just made me laugh out loud with a big ol' ....HA! thanks

For the record I use 85w 140 in my diffs here in Fla.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is that bushing on the inside, I did not know there was one there.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also i just looked at the rave and it say only the front shaft is phased to allow "greater variation in angular changes"

Quick Reply: 5 month old cracked Rotoflex